The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

Jolyon

HSC
Wow, I have it easier than most of the candidates I suppose.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they've removed the calling system, and stick to their offers electronically now. Don't quote me on this.

Anything I need to know in particular for the one on one interview? It all seems alright, I guess. As long as my personality doesn't clash with hers lol.

Yeah I helped to do my departments Christmas hiring and we just told HR how many we needed then one day we got a list of people who had been called in for the one-on-one interview. I did them and just looked for people dressed smart and who seemed to have some form of logic in their heads and chose them.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Yeah I helped to do my departments Christmas hiring and we just told HR how many we needed then one day we got a list of people who had been called in for the one-on-one interview. I did them and just looked for people dressed smart and who seemed to have some form of logic in their heads and chose them.
Oh I see, the one-on-one interview shouldn't be too bad then. So the questions won't be difficult? (I'm guessing it'll be some scenario based questions during the interview if you were to test "logic", but I'm not entirely sure). Anything that I need to be weary about? I'm not even sure if I'll be working part time or casual, but I'm guessing it'll be decided during the interview. Thanks for the reply.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Really weird thing happened. I did supervision for one hour on Sunday and my rate was $31/hr - double my Sunday wage.
The EBA mentions nothing about supervision rates or allowances in my state (typical).

Fuck up?

Jolyon

HSC
Really weird thing happened. I did supervision for one hour on Sunday and my rate was $31/hr - double my Sunday wage.
The EBA mentions nothing about supervision rates or allowances in my state (typical).

Fuck up?
What was the code next to it on your pay slip?

nanakid12

HSC
Looks like you will skip the group interview, that's a good thing.
It may be that your store just required a once off employee, because normally it is done all together (the group interview consists of candidates from a variety of different stores and roles in the area/region).

I never got any call when being recruited, it was all done via email (First email = group interview, second email = job offer after the second interview).
It depends on the circumstances, as described above, and also on your area or region HR I suppose.
I dunno about bigger local stores, but staff at hours NEVER go for a group interview. I spoke to my CSM the other day about how they hire and all, and he told me that HR just forwards the list of people who applied, and that he and the 2ic just pick good potentials.

I applied Friday, got a call Sunday (which was weird) to come in store for an interview. That was three years ago now...
Oh I see, the one-on-one interview shouldn't be too bad then. So the questions won't be difficult? (I'm guessing it'll be some scenario based questions during the interview if you were to test "logic", but I'm not entirely sure). Anything that I need to be weary about? I'm not even sure if I'll be working part time or casual, but I'm guessing it'll be decided during the interview. Thanks for the reply.
You'll be right :) all they do is ask questions like "why do you want to work at Woolworths". Basically why should they pick you for it I guess.

The questions are similar to the ones they ask you on the website when you apply.

Fuck up?
So are you saying that there is no increased pay for under 18s in your state? I know we have had this discussion before about under 18s supervising but no doubt some store near you would have to do it if we do.

And you guys get paid for supervising one hour? Wow we never do that. Not that I really care, but if I supervise for one hour for another supervisors break, I don't get paid extra.

Craven

HSC
How old are you, Matthew? There are no age rates for grade 3 and above so supervisor is probably around 18ish, if you're casual x 1.7 about 31... No idea what award you're under.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
What was the code next to it on your pay slip?
That's the weird thing, it says "6E ORD+50%" which is exactly the same as my Sunday wage and code.

So are you saying that there is no increased pay for under 18s in your state? I know we have had this discussion before about under 18s supervising but no doubt some store near you would have to do it if we do.

And you guys get paid for supervising one hour? Wow we never do that. Not that I really care, but if I supervise for one hour for another supervisors break, I don't get paid extra.
Nah, I am saying that they must have paid me incorrectly for supervision. We are also paid a s/vision allowance, but I'm saying, that one hour I did DOUBLED my Sunday rate which must be a stuff up. I hardly see how a supervision allowance (which I thought is meant to be an extra $1.50/hr) could double my wage rate.

Yeah, it was just put on the adjustment. You should most definitely be getting the allowance despite not being the main supervisor. See:

1.7.4.3 Retail Employee Grade 3
(g) Every such employee performing the role of Service Supervisor shall
be paid at Grade 3 even if more than one employee is so engaged at
the one time.

So, on the adjustment, just create a new entry for the hour that you work and put a remark "pay supervision". That's what we do.

How old are you, Matthew? There are no age rates for grade 3 and above so supervisor is probably around 18ish, if you're casual x 1.7 about 31... No idea what award you're under.
17. Not sure what you mean, there are age rates in . Also, I'm PPT, not casual so I honestly fail to work out how I got to $31p/h. But hey! If they want to pay me $31/hr for my supervision shifts, I'm more than happy to oblige :p.

Last edited:

Craven

HSC
It's not an allowance, it's a different pay rate/grade all together. Hence grade 3. Grade 2 has age rates but not grade 3 so everyone regardless of age gets paid the same amount if performing the duties of grade 3.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
You'll be right :) all they do is ask questions like "why do you want to work at Woolworths". Basically why should they pick you for it I guess.

The questions are similar to the ones they ask you on the website when you apply.
Thanks for the advice.

Edited: Due to my competitive nature, I am not displaying the questions until I receive the offer, since other applicants may be viewing the thread.

Last edited:

BSammy

HSC
Have you done any supervision since july? apart from this 1 hour?

Assuming you're in SA from your location tag.

3.2.3 In Victoria (excluding Vic Meat employees), Tasmania and Western Australia
Grade 3 and 4 junior employees; and in South Australia and Northern
Territory Grade 3, Grade 4 (excluding Non Salaried Second in Charge), and
Grade 5 (excluding Non Salaried Dept Managers) will be paid in accordance
with clause 3.2.1 until the first full pay period on or after 1 July 2011 , at which
time adult rates will apply.

So it looks like in Adelaide, any Grade 3 upwards jobs are payed at adult rate, now it's been after 1/7/11
Is this the thing?

EDIT: I hope this is right, I need to be careful about reading the National Agreement while drunk. (I'm allowed to be drinking this early, it's to stop my back being so pain i went home sick)

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Have you done any supervision since july? apart from this 1 hour?

Assuming you're in SA from your location tag.

3.2.3 In Victoria (excluding Vic Meat employees), Tasmania and Western Australia
Grade 3 and 4 junior employees; and in South Australia and Northern
Territory Grade 3, Grade 4 (excluding Non Salaried Second in Charge), and
Grade 5 (excluding Non Salaried Dept Managers) will be paid in accordance
with clause 3.2.1 until the first full pay period on or after 1 July 2011 , at which
time adult rates will apply.

So it looks like in Adelaide, any Grade 3 upwards jobs are payed at adult rate, now it's been after 1/7/11
Is this the thing?

EDIT: I hope this is right, I need to be careful about reading the National Agreement while drunk. (I'm allowed to be drinking this early, it's to stop my back being so pain i went home sick)
Nope, xxxx Haven't really been paid svision rates before, haven't bothered with it.

Last edited:

BSammy

HSC
Oh hey, where in vic? I almost want to visit your store if it isn't too far away!

EDIT: But even so, the quote from the agreement includes VIC.

and i noticed the young supers from my store being payed at adult wage recently also.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Oh hey, where in vic? I almost want to visit your store if it isn't too far away!

EDIT: But even so, the quote from the agreement includes VIC.

and i noticed the young supers from my store being payed at adult wage recently also.
PM'd.
Yeah it's interesting. I'm supervising this Saturday night so I'll see how much the rate differs (obviously considering it won't be time and a half).
How exciting.

Shit, you're right.. Look at the "21 years and older" under Grade 4 TIME + 50% in the picture above = $31.18/ph.

Last edited:

Jolyon

HSC
PM'd.
Yeah it's interesting. I'm supervising this Saturday night so I'll see how much the rate differs (obviously considering it won't be time and a half).
How exciting.

Shit, you're right.. Look at the "21 years and older" under Grade 4 TIME + 50% in the picture above = $31.18/ph.
One of the first things I did as 2IC was purge the computer of supervisor numbers. Pretty much everyone under 18 I took them away, and some of the older woman who has no use for them at all except to be bossy idiots.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
One of the first things I did as 2IC was purge the computer of supervisor numbers. Pretty much everyone under 18 I took them away, and some of the older woman who has no use for them at all except to be bossy idiots.
There are only seven people with numbers in my store (excluding managers & including me). I am also the only <18 with numbers, got them in December 2010. I've been the only under 18 with numbers since before I started in 2009. No real need to purge anything in my store :p.
How many <18's had numbers in your store that you purged?

Clank_

HSC
Hrm, turns out I got overpaid for 3 hours this week. I asked a couple people at work what I should do and they all said to don't worry about it, as they often screw up and underpay people and take months to fix it, and if they do notice they'll just deduct it from my pay next week.

In other news, our store ended up having to call in the old nightfill captain who resigned a couple weeks ago to help for a week, as the other captain is on leave. Also the we're getting a new 2IC whose had no retail experience.

Jolyon

HSC
There are only seven people with numbers in my store (excluding managers & including me). I am also the only <18 with numbers, got them in December 2010. I've been the only under 18 with numbers since before I started in 2009. No real need to purge anything in my store :p.
How many <18's had numbers in your store that you purged?
Three, now in a department of 96 operators only 19 have supervisor numbers down from 32

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)