The Woolworths Thread (1 Viewer)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
it's front end, here was my current game plan.

1. Show them the store, and get them familiar with the most popular produce that they might not be specifically aware of (great med tomatoes (say versus roma and truss), mushrooms (cup versus flat), cucumber (continental vs lebanese), diff types of apples and potatoes).
2. Take them through a few transactions on training mode
3. See if they have any questions.
4. Get them to watch for say 15 minutes another operator.
5. Put them on registers on their own, but stay close and keep an eye on them.
(i cant give them each a buddy - i wont have enough staff 3 trainees versus staff going from 3 to 2 at 7:30 and 2 to 1 at 8)

ytrbut

HSC
townie said:
it's front end, here was my current game plan.

1. Show them the store, and get them familiar with the most popular produce that they might not be specifically aware of (great med tomatoes (say versus roma and truss), mushrooms (cup versus flat), cucumber (continental vs lebanese), diff types of apples and potatoes).
2. Take them through a few transactions on training mode
3. See if they have any questions.
4. Get them to watch for say 15 minutes another operator.
5. Put them on registers on their own, but stay close and keep an eye on them.
(i cant give them each a buddy - i wont have enough staff 3 trainees versus staff going from 3 to 2 at 7:30 and 2 to 1 at 8)
Yeah, that's similar to what I do:

*Fill out all the food safety training shit
*Show them the store and all the departments, fire escapes and lunch room etc., explain staff exit door
*Get them a locker if possible
*Do a more detailed walk across the deli and seafood, explaining how we break up the cabinet into sections and why (hint: food safety is the correct answer)
*Give them a tour of the department behind the counter
*Go through what goes in bags, what goes in tubs, what is sold per kilo and what's sold per item.
*(Re-)introduce them to manager/2IC (if around)/other staff
*Get them to watch someone serve over their shoulder for a while; I tell the experienced employee if that it's not a rush period, and the customer looks like the understanding happy and friendly type, make a comment which explains the situation to the customer and then get the new employee to take over. However, especially on Saturdays, this isnt always possible.
*Otherwise, wait for 10-15mins of that and then swap the roles, with the experienced employee watching the shoulder of the new employee.

...and at the end of their shift, enrol them in the fingerscanner.

HSC
Wow you're great! I didn't get my finger scan number and locker till a couple weeks after my first shift lol.

ytrbut

HSC
Only if the invoice office is open, otherwise I can't get their payroll number or the locker key. Otherwise I just get whoever works in there tomorrow morning to send me an email with the details, and get them to leave the locker key in the department so I can give it to them next time I see them.

(What tends to happen with our department is the Manager/2IC work during the week with about another four or so people, who work Monday to Friday. Then I get the weekends with a separate group of people. So it tends to be I work with X Y and Z and my manager works with A B and C, so I'm always working with the same group which is great for consistency. Luckily my manager more often than not is working a Saturday or Sunday to bail me out of the hole I inevitably dig for myself.)

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
mwahahahaha, soon i can take over woolworths

i am now an just 2 degrees of seperation from two Senior Managers @ Woolworths

thru my dad I can contact the Director of HR (like, for the whole company, not area or regional or anything)
thru family friend i can contact the Director of Marketing

Mark-AJ

Ncc Tardis
HSC
Have I ever mentioned how made of Awesome you are Townie?
AND that I don't get paid enough =P

Always good to have friends in high places!

HSC
Read the front end roster AND the produce one. Sometimes on your front end roster it may have you down as working in another department but when you look at that departments roster you're actually not.

Also if you're doing both look at the hours you're doing in each coz you're gonna need a break between the shifts.

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
I made $181 this week, and got no Tax! I changed the form to "yes" for the Tax Threshold Question, seeing I was trying to work out why I was being taxed 3x as much as I should....

So Will I ever get taxed again?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
milocole said:
I made $181 this week, and got no Tax! I changed the form to "yes" for the Tax Threshold Question, seeing I was trying to work out why I was being taxed 3x as much as I should....

So Will I ever get taxed again?
yes, but not if you only earn 181, tax cuts in at a few dollars more than that

yobob

HSC
Quick questions,

1. ive been set up for the finger scanner, but how exactly do i use it?

2. do i only use it for rostered shifts and for extra shift use the adjustment shhet?

thanks. :)

mitch179

HSC
yobob said:
Quick questions,

2. do i only use it for rostered shifts and for extra shift use the adjustment shhet?

You put in your 6 digit employee number and then scan your index finger. If it reads, it will say Verified, if not, you'll have to try again. You should have been set up for it to read both your left and right index finger.

You can use it for rostered shifts and additional shifts because normally your department manager will record additional shifts on a roster or something.
When I worked at woolworths, and I got called in, I never had to use an adjustment sheet, always just used the finger scanner, still got paid for it.

sendreplyfwd

HSC
N/A
yobob said:
Quick questions,

1. Enter ID number/Payroll number. Place right hand index finger on the scanner and wait till it approves your fingerprint (it should beep and give a green light)

2. You have to use it for every shift, even if its not a rostered shift. Pretty much the scanner is the way you prove to Woolworths that you actually turned up at the right time and left at the right time. Also you are meant to sign off/on for meal breaks (the 30-60 min ones). Some stores however are not strict on this requirement.

For extra shifts or change of shifts you need to sign the adjustment sheet to prevent a clocking exception report being generated.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
sendreplyfwd said:
1. Enter ID number/Payroll number. Place right hand index finger on the scanner and wait till it approves your fingerprint (it should beep and give a green light)

2. You have to use it for every shift, even if its not a rostered shift. Pretty much the scanner is the way you prove to Woolworths that you actually turned up at the right time and left at the right time. Also you are meant to sign off/on for meal breaks (the 30-60 min ones). Some stores however are not strict on this requirement.

For extra shifts or change of shifts you need to sign the adjustment sheet to prevent a clocking exception report being generated.
lol, we never sign on/off for breaks

Roga

HSC
What's it like bring a Night department manager? Is there an age minimum and what is the pay like?

ytrbut

HSC
Roga said:
What's it like bring a Night department manager? Is there an age minimum and what is the pay like?
I presume you mean Nightfill Manager?

Roga

HSC
What I was referring to was Big W. But yeah, I'd like some info on Nightfill as well.

ytrbut

HSC
Roga said:
What I was referring to was Big W. But yeah, I'd like some info on Nightfill as well.
You have to be at least 18, I know that much, otherwise you can't be given security code access for the alarms.

Roga

HSC
KaaN10 said:
I really cant be bothered working at register for 5 hours tomorrow(11.30-4.30PM) I rather do produce as I usually do. Anyone got any tricks up their sleeve to skip a shift?
Well why did you apply for the job if you don't want to do it? It doesn't serve a good example to your managers if you don't turn up to work just because you don't want to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)