The Woolworths Thread (1 Viewer)

adistar85us

HSC
I wanna rant about the place where I work (I'm also thinking of transferring for more hours).

I do not understand why woolies keeps this certain employee at my workplace. He is really difficult to work with. Very ego driven, self centered and loves to put others down while inflating himself. He's a crap worker. Non team player, does a terrible job in nightfill (loves to walk around texting, packs slowly and carelessly) but will do an ok job if given the stakes that he's competing with someone (f*kwit).... yet woolies decides to offer this employee more shifts instead of my other well deserving co-workers (thank god I'm not casual anymore).

Co-workers cant stand him and the supervisors give out the reason that because this employee is cheap labor (young bloke) woolies keeps him. I for one hate this employee because he puts undue stress on all co-workers when he's working.

I have come very close to ringing his head once. End rant.

born2b

HSC
adistar85us said:
I wanna rant about the place where I work (I'm also thinking of transferring for more hours).

I do not understand why woolies keeps this certain employee at my workplace. He is really difficult to work with. Very ego driven, self centered and loves to put others down while inflating himself. He's a crap worker. Non team player, does a terrible job in nightfill (loves to walk around texting, packs slowly and carelessly) but will do an ok job if given the stakes that he's competing with someone (f*kwit).... yet woolies decides to offer this employee more shifts instead of my other well deserving co-workers (thank god I'm not casual anymore).

Co-workers cant stand him and the supervisors give out the reason that because this employee is cheap labor (young bloke) woolies keeps him. I for one hate this employee because he puts undue stress on all co-workers when he's working.

I have come very close to ringing his head once. End rant.
LOL!

chill out mate well he might suck up more than u and is probably much more socially acceptable to managers.

who knows might be related to the manager :p

Black Heart

HSC
Ok.. I've finished the induction, 2 nights training (tuesday and wednesday) and on the 2nd night I went live, serving 4 customers and the trainer lady was behind me which was good cause I stuffed up some stuff. I guess I was kinda shaking too cause it's my first job and all and the bit i guess I dread the most is the cash bit, like I grab the money to slow and when I count the change to the customer (like the trainer said we should) like for eg. $10.75 change

"So that's $10, 50,20,5" (we say as we count and put on their hands, the biggest demonination first)

And I kinda stumble with the money, so does anyone know how I can overcome this? You can easily say "it will take time" etc, but yeah..

And I dread the paying part. So can like someone also say what they do?

Ok here's a first example

You're finished scanning their groceries and you press the enter button to total the amount and they are holding an EFT card, so I press that button and then what? Do I say "is that the total amount?" (meaning no cash out etc) and if they say yes, press that button and they swipe etc

2nd Example

You're finished scanning their groceries and you press the enter button to total the amount and they pay with cash. Just say it's $15 and they hand me a $20 note. So I press the cash button then what?

(I kinda know what to do I just really wanna clarify what needs to happen)

And also tonight, I have an "on the job training", can anyone tell me what this is? The lady said I needed to go about 15 minutes earlier to get my name badge and that the supervisor or whoever will then tell me what's going to happen" or something. So do I get a locker, fingerscan and a new number to log onto the cash register?

Thanks in advance for any help

adistar85us

HSC
born2b said:
LOL!

chill out mate well he might suck up more than u and is probably much more socially acceptable to managers.

who knows might be related to the manager :p
can you please re-read my post again before saying "socially acceptable". Manager don't like the employee as well. been counseled several times yet they still keep this employee.

HSC
Black Heart said:
You're finished scanning their groceries and you press the enter button to total the amount and they are holding an EFT card, so I press that button and then what? Do I say "is that the total amount?" (meaning no cash out etc) and if they say yes, press that button and they swipe etc

2nd Example

You're finished scanning their groceries and you press the enter button to total the amount and they pay with cash. Just say it's $15 and they hand me a $20 note. So I press the cash button then what?

(I kinda know what to do I just really wanna clarify what needs to happen)

And also tonight, I have an "on the job training", can anyone tell me what this is? The lady said I needed to go about 15 minutes earlier to get my name badge and that the supervisor or whoever will then tell me what's going to happen" or something. So do I get a locker, fingerscan and a new number to log onto the cash register?

Thanks in advance for any help
1. Yeah, you could ask "is that the total amount?" - I got taught to ask "do you need any cash out?" because I think it gets straight to the point. Yes, and then you just press the buttons and they swipe etc...

2. Press the cash button, select how much they've given you, then the drawer should open and the screen should say you need to give them $5 change.

3. Wouldn't you have already had your on the job training before they got you to serve and such? Anyways, yeah they might sort out all that other stuff for you, and teach you about other tasks related to your job.

Black Heart

HSC
makemearedcape said:
1. Yeah, you could ask "is that the total amount?" - I got taught to ask "do you need any cash out?" because I think it gets straight to the point. Yes, and then you just press the buttons and they swipe etc...

2. Press the cash button, select how much they've given you, then the drawer should open and the screen should say you need to give them $5 change.

3. Wouldn't you have already had your on the job training before they got you to serve and such? Anyways, yeah they might sort out all that other stuff for you, and teach you about other tasks related to your job.
Ok thanks. And well first we had 2 days training (the first was mostly theory and stuff) and on the 2nd night (last night) we had a little bit of training and we went live for the first time. On the first night our trainer asked us to ring up the next day after school and see when we are actually working like our first shift or something and the girl said tomorrow (thursday) from 4:30 - 6:30 soo... yeah

oh and I have another question. Just say it cost like $80 and they want like $100 total? What do we do there cause I get confused with cash out.

Thanks in advance again :)

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Not sure how it works in Aus, but this is what we have to do in NZ when we are rounding up.

Say the total comes to $63.42 and the customer asks me to round it up to $100. I select the EFT tender, and then enter 100.02. There is a bug with our system where we have to carry the last digit over. If it was $63.47 we would need to put in 100.07.

But don't let me confuse you, I'm not sure how your system works so the best this is to wait for someone else to help you or just ask you supervisor.

HSC
Is my Employee Number the same number that I put in to the finger scanner? I'm applying for a job closer to home and need to update my profile as a current employee.

jadeh

HSC
I'm a cashier at Woolworth's.

The only problem is that we only have a limited amount of bags we can only use within a 2hr period. and we have the small bags that don't fit on the bag stands/hooks. so that really does slow the process down.

also grumpy customers are pains.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Trampoline Man said:
Is my Employee Number the same number that I put in to the finger scanner? I'm applying for a job closer to home and need to update my profile as a current employee.
Si, It is.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
on WoWPos for EFT like "total amounts" the customer will usually say something like "can you make that up to XYZ" or "can i have the change from XYZ"

in this case it's

ENTER (for tender mode) -> EFT -> Key Amount -> XYZ -> Accept

yes your employee number is your finger scan number

yes pay automatically goes up, every wednesday office cashier prints a report listing who is coming up for the end of probabtion and who needs birthday pay rises

ytrbut

HSC
KaaN10 said:
Few more questions.

1.) When I finish my probation period which is 3 months, do I have to do anything or does my pay automatically go up?

2.) What's appraisel dates?
1.) Automatic.

2.) They're at your 4th, 7th and 11th week. At these dates, your manager is meant to sit down with you and give you feedback/allow you to make comments/etc., but historically I've found it rarely happens. The 11th week date is when your probation finishes.

Roga

HSC
ytrbut said:
1.) Automatic.

2.) They're at your 4th, 7th and 11th week. At these dates, your manager is meant to sit down with you and give you feedback/allow you to make comments/etc., but historically I've found it rarely happens. The 11th week date is when your probation finishes.
My manager sat down with me and discussed about my probation but I had been already working for 8 months lol.

born2b

HSC
adistar85us said:
can you please re-read my post again before saying "socially acceptable". Manager don't like the employee as well. been counseled several times yet they still keep this employee.
well hes probably permanent or something..

its really hard for them to get rid of permanent staff even sometimes 4 councelling sessions isnt enough and thats all for the same reason!

anyways hes probably cheaper aswell and yeah ... happens alot at woolies so its not worth having a fit about... this happens in every single store..

each have their bludgers..

yobob

HSC
hmm

is getting put onto part time from casual a good thing??

wages seems quite alot lower.

sendreplyfwd

HSC
N/A
yobob said:
hmm

is getting put onto part time from casual a good thing??

wages seems quite alot lower.
While the wages may be lower (20% in fact) you will find that you are far better off because

A) You will now accrue annual leave (meaning you can take paid holidays)
B) Entitled to paid sick leave
C) Will receive priority over casual employees in terms of hours (ie. amount you get), this can be particularly handy for example when hours are reduced due to seasonal turnover decreases (ie. Busy in summer, quiet in Winter).
D) You will now officially be far more difficult to dismiss, and you are entitled to a notice period (ie. Woolworths now have to give you at least one week notice)
E) If you are over 18 you will find it far easier to get things like loans, credit cards and mobile phone contracts if you a PPT instead of casual.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
wuddie said:
depends, the wage for a part time is lower because they take into account the fact that you are now getting more hours.
thats not at all why they get paid less, get your facts straight for christ's sake.

1) part timers dont get paid "less" casuals actually get paid more (it's a subtle distinction, but one that needs to be understood.
2) casuals get more to compensate for a lack of benefits and job security (technically, a casual staff memeber can be dismissed with 1 hrs notice)
3) the benefits that casual dont recieve are: Annual and Sick leave

edit: also what sendreplyfwd said

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)