The Woolworths Thread (3 Viewers)

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Will probably fill out an application form sometime this week (super procrastinator!), I won't be expecting a call though due to people having already been hired for the upcoming break

nanakid12

HSC
yh i believe that the reason they gave the person who is a year older than me numbers was so they could watch the floor on supervisors break and have the training to one day become a supervisor if one of the supervisors left the store. she isnt actually a supervisor just a cashier with privilidges, that what i want to be aswell to just have privilidges and be trained up to one day become one aswell

so is most of it just luck and timing? so as long as your a good worker it well happen eventually? like with you?

also what exactly is an audit? and why would the front end fail one if too many people had numbers?
how often do they have audits?
Oh righteo. I've heard some stores give operators privileges to make it easier. Our store used to do it, but they don't anymore.

We recently had an audit a few weeks ago. Basically, people from Head Office, or the closest state branch (or something) come out and just check basic operations, check to make sure everyone is adhering to policy and safety guidelines.

They checked through everyone's privileges on the registers, and the relief CSM got spoken to about how only supervisors are permitted to have numbers. They then went through and took the numbers of everyone who shouldn't have had it.

I can't remember the last time, before this one, that we've had an audit, but they can do them whenever they feel like it.

If I ever need an operator to watch the floor when I'm on break, I print out a barcode for them. Its easy.

And I just started showing an interest in what the supervisors do, asked random questions about it, bla bla bla... after a while the frontend 2ic said to me one day "You should be a supervisor" and I just asked her more about it (I had been waiting for it for so long). They trained me up over the next few months and I started doing close shifts in my last year of school. Been doing it ever since.

Last edited:

sb26

HSC
so is most of it just luck and timing? so as long as your a good worker it well happen eventually? like with you?
No it's not speak up let your CSM know you're interested else they won't care!

I started supervising about 6 months after I started and it was my first job too. They didn't pick me, I asked about it and got told CSM doesn't really have time to train me so I taught myself. Forget everyone else, supervisor numbers aren't a reward for working as a cashier for ages you have to have the right skills.

One thing that would make me cautious as a CSM would be if someone took a really laidback approach to the higher privilege stuff (like if they insist on disc dumping stuff because they're too lazy to type the barcode or product search, sneakily stealing other people's numbers, skipping telco checks because it's too busy) -- improperly trained supervisors cause more problems than they solve! The ones at my store taught me various things but then I realised they were wrong and lazy techniques so I had to self-teach from documents on storenet so I knew I was being proper.

Also remember that supervising is not just stuff on the POS it's managing your staff and dealing with queues! I've always thought my CSM was a freaking magician when it came to looking after the floor but it wasn't until I started asking her questions about her thought process and whatnot that I started becoming more able at managing that stuff. Nights are isolated you forget that customers are number freaking one and you become too focused on doing the menial jobs. Don't be that guy and IMO you'll do great!

sb26

HSC
after a while the frontend 2ic said to me one day "You should be a supervisor" and I just asked her more about it (I had been waiting for it for so long)
Lol nana

Don't do the same as us, tell them you're interested straight up pronto! Managers are very busy and get preoccupied and forget the little things, don't wait for them to 'begin the training process' just get right into it yourself.

djhol4

HSC
N/A
Yh I get what u mean about training yourself I've already learned how to do rain checks, open big registers for trolleys without being asked, and pager and all the service codes, and I'm probably one of the only employees who has read the EBA and knows out employee rights regarding breaks, entitlements etc

Thanks for the advice, I'm pretty sure they plan on make me a supervisor eventually from some of their previous comments but I'll definitely let them know I'm keen

I'll mention something to my night supervisor tonight and report back haha

captainpigs

Tutor and Note Seller
HSC
Uni Grad
Most of the time you'll find you become the manager anyway
I know with nightfill I just end up taking my bosses place out the back while he just does whatever he does.
Bosses are the laziest ppl at night

djhol4

HSC
N/A
Yh spoke with my night supervisor... It turns out that the girl who got given numbers only got given them because she used to have them at her old store before she transferred to my store. When she transferred they took her numbers away and later gave them back to her. She probably only got the numbers because slit of employees at her old store were retarded. There's another girl who's two years older than me who had the same thing, she hit to keep her numbers aswell, They will probably take them off them if we get audited, suddenly I don't feel so bad

My night supervisor said that he has worked at this store for 5 years and didn't get numbers till 22 years old and he literally had to beg to get them, and that I should tell my CSM that I'm interested, but I'll basically have to wait for one of the other supervisors to either quit or die before I get
numbers, and we are only a small store.. So only time will tell but it doesn't look good. I'll just have to put up with service 10ing for menial shit for the next 4 years while other people my only a little older than me Walt around with numbers without being supervisors :(

djhol4

HSC
N/A
The next day the same supervisor with numbers told me some people with numbers might be leaving at the end of the year and that I should speak to the CSM ASAP and tell him I'm interested, so that's what I did and he said that its not such a bad idea, as I could help the other supervisors count registers. He said he would defiantly consider training me up and that he'll keep it in mind

Not a bad result, thanks fellas :)

khoavo12

HSC
Can someone explain this to me? I got this email today from Woolies after applying for a position 2 weeks ago and part of it says: "We have attempted to contact you on a number of occasions to discuss the progress of your application. Unfortunately, you have not progressed to the next stage of the recruitment process due to the fact we have not been able to reach you to discuss your application in a timely manner."

I swear I always had my phone next to me and never got a call from them. I ended up losing the opportunity. WTF?

BSammy

HSC
weird.

best bet is to reply or phone them, (if there's a number to call) explain what happened, double check your details are correct, and make sure they know you're keen if there's another oppurtunity soon.

Tragesty

HSC
Took two weeks off to cram for exams, selected 'study leave' on the form, approved - just looked at my bank account after exams and noticed I was paid my contract hours (10 hours per week) worth for both those weeks - is study leave paid leave? Or was I wrongly paid? Payslip shows annual leave has gone up, so they didn't take that out - payslip description reads 'CP OTH PAID'. Not sure if I was paid when I shouldn't have been? Not that I'm complaining :hat:

HSC
Does anyone elses store have a blackout leave period over christmas? Today when I told my manager I would be un-available some days in January, she said no leave from 1st december to 7th january excluding the days we are closed over christmas in NSW. the days are 2nd to 5th January and its because im going camping with my venturer scout unit. As it would be noisy there, do you think I would get suspicions put against me if i called sick and there was a lot of background noise? Im part time and this camp means alot to me. I have explained what it means and I was told to see SM about it if I needed t real bad and she said the only option would be to resign. As I said I know it won't be glued in their heads for long so if I called sick do you think id be ok?

BSammy

HSC
i dunno

how part time are you? like would you have to miss some contracted shifts?

i lucked out with my roster, have sun-tue off, then not working public holidays wed-thur over christmas, back on friday tho.

same with new years.

i told them i don't want to flex up over that period, i don't think they liked it, but there's nothing they can do. :p (all flex up is optional)

BSammy

HSC
but yeah we have no leave over christmas. or at least you need to get in super early. like the first few months of the year to apply for the following christmas.

HSC
The thing about it is usually my department is inventory, but now that we are coming up to christmas, basically everyone that is check out trained in the store works majority in check out up until black out leave is over. Te CSM is who I told since she will be in charge of my roster over the next few weeks. My standard working hours are 25 per week. As said, those hours will increase each week next month. My store is the busiest in our region and I live in Sydney so as youd expect it will be super busy and every register will be open. The thing about all this is if it was with my normal department, it is just as simple as me sending a SMS to my manager and she says get well soon etc. With CS I have asked numerous people do they have the CSM mobile number and everyone says no and that said I know that CSM and CS 2IC do not keep their phones on them while working. If I called sick I would need to find somewhere quiet to make the call.

BSammy

HSC
ah that sucks.

i don't know why they care so much about early january.christmas is the busy bit.

HSC
Lol I think I'll get away with calling sick. I think I'll just have to avoid talking about it at work. I did it over easter on easter Saturday and easter Monday which are also in the easter black out leave period. I got away with it, must you have to talk in a crockey voice to sound sick and make the call a quick and snappy one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)