The Zokunu Chronicles: My HSC, and how I progress (1 Viewer)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
15FEB2014

- Went to TSFX today so nothing much.
- Read Physics notes - Motors and Generators on the train/bus. At least I did something eh?

That's it, so tired, gonna sleep, laterz. :)
How was the TSFX lectures? Did you found them helpful?

Zokunu

HSC
17FEB2014

- Did some questions for 14.9 Fitzpatrick in my double free.
- Editing and refining English Module A essay.
- Tutoring for English in Focus C. 1 1/2 H

- i MIGHT not write or do anything tommorow due to family problems today...divorce. I don't know what to do anymore....it is obviously gonna affect my HSC and sh1t. So if anything happens during these days, I would like to THANK YOU all of you for reading/supporting this journey. TY.

That's it, Later.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
17FEB2014

- Did some questions for 14.9 Fitzpatrick in my double free.
- Editing and refining English Module A essay.
- Tutoring for English in Focus C. 1 1/2 H

- i MIGHT not write or do anything tommorow due to family problems today...divorce. I don't know what to do anymore....it is obviously gonna affect my HSC and sh1t. So if anything happens during these days, I would like to THANK YOU all of you for reading/supporting this journey. TY.

That's it, Later.
Just make sure you remember one thing-don't take too much responsibility for things that are occurring in your family, and remember it is not your fault, at the end, your parents still loves you. It is understandable if you feel you don't know what to do anymore, but make sure you don't let this affect your HSC-you are empowered in how to react towards this situation-and that is, to focus on what you can control and ignore everything else that is outside of your control. You can control your emotions, you can control your own actions, and you must strive to maintain the hard work that you have put into your HSC so far-don't let things fall apart-you are well on track to get a very high ATAR if you keep going. You are never alone, not just in terms of people on BOS forums supporting you, but you've got friends, I am sure they will be understanding if you let them into some of the worries on your mind, perhaps also try writing down your fears and wishes, it might help to get things off your mind. Best wishes for a very tough time-stay strong, listen to some motivational/calming music if you need to, make sure you give some time out for yourself..-remember a smile a day keeps the doctor away:)

Zokunu

HSC
Just make sure you remember one thing-don't take too much responsibility for things that are occurring in your family, and remember it is not your fault, at the end, your parents still loves you. It is understandable if you feel you don't know what to do anymore, but make sure you don't let this affect your HSC-you are empowered in how to react towards this situation-and that is, to focus on what you can control and ignore everything else that is outside of your control. You can control your emotions, you can control your own actions, and you must strive to maintain the hard work that you have put into your HSC so far-don't let things fall apart-you are well on track to get a very high ATAR if you keep going. You are never alone, not just in terms of people on BOS forums supporting you, but you've got friends, I am sure they will be understanding if you let them into some of the worries on your mind, perhaps also try writing down your fears and wishes, it might help to get things off your mind. Best wishes for a very tough time-stay strong, listen to some motivational/calming music if you need to, make sure you give some time out for yourself..-remember a smile a day keeps the doctor away:)
Thank you so much strawberrye, I will always remember this :).

18FEB2014

I have to say, it pretty quite down here...their isn't much talk between us. especially my sister. Buttt im gonna move on now.

- Finished exercise 14.9 for Math - Fitzpatrick. Did some questions for 14.10 as well, around 5 to 6? Gonna print out past papers - weekends.
- Editing/Refining Module A essay. A bit only. around 1 1/2 par?
- Finished Section 4 of Blueprint of Life. I wanted to finish Section 5 (theirs like 3 dot points) and go straight to some PP's. But I'm extermely tired right now, and had to wake up early for some RSL Exit Program thing.

Gonna do more work tomm. That's it now, later.

Zokunu

HSC
Pushed myself and

- Finished at least 1 dot point of Section 5. Blueprint of Life.

Sleeping.

Zokunu

HSC
Progress like that earns one the .95
lol, not even close man.

19/02/2014

- Went to RSL club for some program about HSC stuff/careers and study skills. TBH, TSFX was better. , i swear, the only thing we wanted was the food in their, that's it.
- Tutoring for Math in Focus College. 2H
- Almost slept early today, when i woke up, it was like already 10pm, everyone was asleep. Decided to go down and do some questions in Physics Jacaranda Chapter 6 - numerical ones only. I will leave the content ones for later.

Definitely sleeping now, later,

flashtrick

Gap year? If only...
HSC
To each their own, man, but you seem to be treating the HSC like a check-list. A long, every-day-I-should-be-studying checklist. I mean sure, my opinion is going to be skewed because my only input of your life is from your 'study journal', but I feel like you are in need of a loosening up and being less traditional.

I'm not forcing you to change everything or even anything; just hear what I have to say and come to your own conclusions:
Flashtrick's Tips of Peace and Prosperity

1. Why drag a heavy cart when you can use wheels to roll it? Why try out for the Olympic Swimming if you can't even swim 50m?
Each person has their own strengths and weaknesses. You are only hindering yourself by not knowing what yours are.
Look through past tests, ask your friends, observe yourself in daily life.

Strengths: These include but are not limited to HSC subject-specific strengths [like "I'm good at integrating"]. Things like creativity, perseverance, lateral thinking, strong empathy, good logic, and structured writing are examples of possible strengths

Weaknesses: Again, these include but are not limited to HSC [like "I can't remember biology terms"]. Weaknesses can be unable to handle stress, poor time management, obtrusive and random thoughts, messy writing, poor logic and others.

Have confidence in your strengths and be critical of your weaknesses.

Identifying your skills (and lack of them) can help you create study plans specifically catered for you. For instance, if you're a creativity little boy, it could be better for you to tackle integration questions head-on without looking at the examples, such that you develop your own way of analyzing questions and determining the most elegant solution. But if you're a big girl good at memorizing steps, then by all means, memorize each different method of solving integrals.

2. Personalize your study notes and memorization.
This will speed up your learning beyond belief if you don't do it already. It's pretty much using the whole idea of acronyms, acrostic poems, rhyming couplets, and other stuff. Just make it relate-able to your own knowledge (outside of academics that is)

My own examples:
- Learning reactivity series in chem:
KNaCaMgAlZnFe Tin Lead copper silver gold platinum (something like that)
How I remember it:
Kanaka - M. Gal - ZinFe - Tin - Lead --- then the rest were based on the olympic medals (bronze, silver, gold)

My explanation:
I'd sorta just say the whole thing to remember it (minus the olympic medals) Remembering the word 'kanaka' isn't that hard - it was the names used for the imported workers on the sugar canes (year 7 history lesson). As for the later part of the series, gold is best in Olympics, so it's least reactive with the exception of platinum, which is just too cool.

- Indicator Colours:
The day before chem exams, I'd just create short acronyms (first letter comes from acid side, the neutral, then basic). RGB is one of them. Can't remember which indicator though, haha, been too long.
BB was a pair of letters I'd never forgot, since it came up so often [Blue=Basic, definitely applies for the litmus paper can't remember others]

- Electromagnetic Spectrum Progression
RMIVUXG
radio-mirco-infra-visible and so on
How I learnt it? One simple questions.
Are mivux good?
Doesn't make any sense but it worked and so many of my friends used it throughout the year for physics.

For content that has to be memorized, such that intuition, creativity, logic and anything else doesn't work, personalize your notes and don't be afraid of them being quirky and absurd. After all, weird and radical are more memorable than plain and bland.

3. There is 'study' outside of study.
You mentioned before that you felt that you wasted a period by playing chess. It was not a waste. Games make you think. They exercise your brain. Like a muscle, the more you use it, the stronger it becomes.
Think of athletes. Let Athlete X be one that trains extremely hard on-season and sits around on his couch off-season. Let Athlete Y be one that trains diligently all year round. Athlete Y will be the superior competitor: he won't be drained during his matched cause he isn't pushing excessively hard in training on-season and he will have maintained fitness during off-season.
On-season=studying HSC material
Off-season=your time outside of that

Playing board games, reading books, playing sports all count as part of your off-season training. Unlike athletes, as a HSCer, you can switch between on- and off-season anytime you want. Doing productive off-season activities will let you rest for when you decide to go back to on-season (study) and can also prevent you from reaching fatigue during on-season. Balance. Smart balance. It will make things more enjoyable, fill you with passion and motivation and improve you further.

Hope that analogy wasn't too confusing. Actually.... hope that analogy actually made some sense at all.

Well, I'm done. Can't think of anything else.

P.S. You're better off doing full-body workouts than a split. I used to go to the gym for a little bit, and full-body workouts feel a lot better afterwords (with the whole endorphin rush and all). Compound movements train the stabilizers, antagonists and agonist muscle groups better than isolations [maybe scratch the part about the agonist muscle group, since isolations are, indeed, isolations], resulting in better strength, muscle and fitness gains.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Pushed myself and

- Finished at least 1 dot point of Section 5. Blueprint of Life.

Sleeping.
omg ur so fast. do you make ur own notes or read for bio?

Zokunu

HSC
To each their own, man, but you seem to be treating the HSC like a check-list. A long, every-day-I-should-be-studying checklist. I mean sure, my opinion is going to be skewed because my only input of your life is from your 'study journal', but I feel like you are in need of a loosening up and being less traditional.

I'm not forcing you to change everything or even anything; just hear what I have to say and come to your own conclusions:
Flashtrick's Tips of Peace and Prosperity

1. Why drag a heavy cart when you can use wheels to roll it? Why try out for the Olympic Swimming if you can't even swim 50m?
Each person has their own strengths and weaknesses. You are only hindering yourself by not knowing what yours are.
Look through past tests, ask your friends, observe yourself in daily life.

Strengths: These include but are not limited to HSC subject-specific strengths [like "I'm good at integrating"]. Things like creativity, perseverance, lateral thinking, strong empathy, good logic, and structured writing are examples of possible strengths

Weaknesses: Again, these include but are not limited to HSC [like "I can't remember biology terms"]. Weaknesses can be unable to handle stress, poor time management, obtrusive and random thoughts, messy writing, poor logic and others.

Have confidence in your strengths and be critical of your weaknesses.

Identifying your skills (and lack of them) can help you create study plans specifically catered for you. For instance, if you're a creativity little boy, it could be better for you to tackle integration questions head-on without looking at the examples, such that you develop your own way of analyzing questions and determining the most elegant solution. But if you're a big girl good at memorizing steps, then by all means, memorize each different method of solving integrals.

2. Personalize your study notes and memorization.
This will speed up your learning beyond belief if you don't do it already. It's pretty much using the whole idea of acronyms, acrostic poems, rhyming couplets, and other stuff. Just make it relate-able to your own knowledge (outside of academics that is)

My own examples:
- Learning reactivity series in chem:
KNaCaMgAlZnFe Tin Lead copper silver gold platinum (something like that)
How I remember it:
Kanaka - M. Gal - ZinFe - Tin - Lead --- then the rest were based on the olympic medals (bronze, silver, gold)

My explanation:
I'd sorta just say the whole thing to remember it (minus the olympic medals) Remembering the word 'kanaka' isn't that hard - it was the names used for the imported workers on the sugar canes (year 7 history lesson). As for the later part of the series, gold is best in Olympics, so it's least reactive with the exception of platinum, which is just too cool.

- Indicator Colours:
The day before chem exams, I'd just create short acronyms (first letter comes from acid side, the neutral, then basic). RGB is one of them. Can't remember which indicator though, haha, been too long.
BB was a pair of letters I'd never forgot, since it came up so often [Blue=Basic, definitely applies for the litmus paper can't remember others]

- Electromagnetic Spectrum Progression
RMIVUXG
radio-mirco-infra-visible and so on
How I learnt it? One simple questions.
Are mivux good?
Doesn't make any sense but it worked and so many of my friends used it throughout the year for physics.

For content that has to be memorized, such that intuition, creativity, logic and anything else doesn't work, personalize your notes and don't be afraid of them being quirky and absurd. After all, weird and radical are more memorable than plain and bland.

3. There is 'study' outside of study.
You mentioned before that you felt that you wasted a period by playing chess. It was not a waste. Games make you think. They exercise your brain. Like a muscle, the more you use it, the stronger it becomes.
Think of athletes. Let Athlete X be one that trains extremely hard on-season and sits around on his couch off-season. Let Athlete Y be one that trains diligently all year round. Athlete Y will be the superior competitor: he won't be drained during his matched cause he isn't pushing excessively hard in training on-season and he will have maintained fitness during off-season.
On-season=studying HSC material
Off-season=your time outside of that

Playing board games, reading books, playing sports all count as part of your off-season training. Unlike athletes, as a HSCer, you can switch between on- and off-season anytime you want. Doing productive off-season activities will let you rest for when you decide to go back to on-season (study) and can also prevent you from reaching fatigue during on-season. Balance. Smart balance. It will make things more enjoyable, fill you with passion and motivation and improve you further.

Hope that analogy wasn't too confusing. Actually.... hope that analogy actually made some sense at all.

Well, I'm done. Can't think of anything else.

P.S. You're better off doing full-body workouts than a split. I used to go to the gym for a little bit, and full-body workouts feel a lot better afterwords (with the whole endorphin rush and all). Compound movements train the stabilizers, antagonists and agonist muscle groups better than isolations [maybe scratch the part about the agonist muscle group, since isolations are, indeed, isolations], resulting in better strength, muscle and fitness gains.
Dw, I know what you trying to say. Thanks Flashtrick.

20/02/2014

- Decided to fully clean up the desk and stuff to get things organized. Took a while...
- Biology - Blueprint of Life dot points finished (not 100% perfect)! TBH, i think i'm missing some dot points. Gonna double-check tomm.
- Did the 2012 Biology HSC Past Paper. Updating notes for Blueprint of Life. I will be mainly updating the notes by doing PP's now.
- Did some exercises 14.9 and Chapter 14 review questions on Fitzpatrick. <---Both exercises not finished...i would say 3/4 and 1/2 for both.
- Editing/Refining a bit of English Module A.

Gonna watch Naruto 351 and sleep. Laterz.

Last edited:

Zokunu

HSC
omg ur so fast. do you make ur own notes or read for bio?
lol, not sure if srs, but i make my own notes only for Bio. I print the rest of the sciences - the codeblue ones. The bio ones are not like 100% perfect, so imma have to go through it again later.

Just asking, but when should I print out these notes and study them before the exams, Half Yearlies. Before how many weeks?

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
lol, not sure if srs, but i make my own notes only for Bio. I print the rest of the sciences - the codeblue ones. The bio ones are not like 100% perfect, so imma have to go through it again later.

Just asking, but when should I print out these notes and study them before the exams, Half Yearlies. Before how many weeks?
I would advise you to revise your notes as your make them, a few weeks before your exams is highly recommended.

Zokunu

HSC
I would advise you to revise your notes as your make them, a few weeks before your exams is highly recommended.
Thanks strawberrye. Is 3 weeks before the exam good, or 2?.

21/02/2014

- Did some questions in Biology PP's and updating Bio notes.
- Finished doing Chapter 6 in Jacaranda - the content ones. Hopefully Chapter 7 tomm.
- Finished Math HW - Integration from tutor.

That's it, later.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC

srs. theres so many long dot points omfg haha.

Zokunu

HSC
srs. theres so many long dot points omfg haha.
dw bro. I understand how you feel, I wrote 1 1/2 page for 1 dot point and realized that all i have wrote is irrelevant sh1t. ==''. I had to like fix it up again and again. fck.

22/02/2014

- GYM - Whole body workout. Benched from 35 --> 40. Pretty much a good day.
- Did 1 Chem PP today along with some "Success One" Multiple choice questions.
- Editing/refining English essay.

- Decided to install LoL again since i stopped playing for 1 month. I had two games with 2 adcs with no support. At the last game, a kid was like "come on, finish this, i wanna go and f*p to.......". I love kids in this game...i swear. Gonna decide to UNINSTALL this tomm, this game imo is a completely waste of time, especially when you lose at a 50-60 min game. I could have done more today...

I just wanna ask, is a 96.30 ATAR for a Bachelor of Commerce still possible. Just wanna get into "Business Economics". If possible?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks strawberrye. Is 3 weeks before the exam good, or 2?.

21/02/2014

- Did some questions in Biology PP's and updating Bio notes.
- Finished doing Chapter 6 in Jacaranda - the content ones. Hopefully Chapter 7 tomm.
- Finished Math HW - Integration from tutor.

That's it, later.
3 weeks is ideal, but if you are stuck for time, 2 week is fine:), by the sounds of how you are progressing, you seem to be well on the track to getting into that commerce degree you desired to:) Keep the good work up!

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
- Decided to install LoL again since i stopped playing for 1 month. I had two games with 2 adcs with no support. At the last game, a kid was like "come on, finish this, i wanna go and f*p to.......". I love kids in this game...i swear. Gonna decide to UNINSTALL this tomm, this game imo is a completely waste of time, especially when you lose at a 50-60 min game.
Bro that's just plain wrong

people who don't play support should be banished to hell for eternity

once hsc is over, 4 months of non-stop league. i cannot wait.

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
I just wanna ask, is a 96.30 ATAR for a Bachelor of Commerce still possible. Just wanna get into "Business Economics". If possible?
Look at the UNSW bonus point scheme for Comm (HSC Plus)

http://gyazo.com/2ee5655ab14325f9cac85c54dc1c9503

Above is for your standard Combined Comm degree (not much point doing commerce alone)

Grab B5 or greater in English and Maths (obtainable by anybody with hard work), and its a 92.3 ATAR cutoff

Zokunu

HSC
Look at the UNSW bonus point scheme for Comm (HSC Plus)

http://gyazo.com/2ee5655ab14325f9cac85c54dc1c9503

Above is for your standard Combined Comm degree (not much point doing commerce alone)

Grab B5 or greater in English and Maths (obtainable by anybody with hard work), and its a 92.3 ATAR cutoff
Beautiful, thanks cleavage.

- Did some questions in Heimann Biology - Exam style questions and updating notes. < -- Exam style questions not all done yet.
- Finished Chapter 7 (i think) in Jacaranda Physics. I think i left some questions since i already have them in the notes.
- Went to the library today and borrowed Dot point chem/bio and success one sh1t. Also printed out 3 PP's for Math. Farr, I noticed that I'm not the only one working. There are many people out their who are working two/three times harder. Respect man...
- Did one PP for Math. Crossed out questions which I had no idea and haven't touched on. Reviewing it again tomm. Hopefully, I will wake up 4:30 tomm.

That's it, Laterz.

Zokunu

HSC
24/02/2014

- Did Chapter review questions in Chapter 14 < --- Not all done yet.
- Read Physics Notes - Motors and Generators.
- Used Success One Biology and did some questions. Updating BOL notes.
- Tutoring for English at Focus C.
- Finished editing/refining Module essay. Waiting for feedback.

I think i might have heard it wrong but apparently, my Math tests is now only based on what we've learned from Term 4 last year till now. I'm not really sure, gonna ask tomm. It's covering Geo application, Intergration/volumes, exponential/logs and Trigs if it is.

I just wanna ask. Should I be doing my Fitzpatrick Math textbook questions or go straight into past papers like what i did last term and barely passed...? Thank you.

That's it. Sleeping. Later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)