Theatre Reviews for IP (1 Viewer)

Lucie16

HSC
Hey guys. What i meant when i said i supported the idea of musical theatre i didnt mean your typical musical. I'm talking about plays with music and songs that no ones ever really heard of before. What i mean is if your not reveiwing realist theatre a lot of abstract plays rely a lot on song and dance, like physical theatre.
I agree with everyone that reviewing your typical 'musical' is bad but i dont think theres anything wrong with reviewing a play with songs in it.

Anyway, to get away from this whole silly argument, what other advice do you 04ers have for us05ers.

Last edited:

aimstar555

HSC
Lucie16 said:
Anyway, to get away from this whole silly argument, what other advice do you 04ers have for us05ers.
*DON'T spend all of your attention and energy on your GP/IP's and spend equal time on your texts and essays.
*know the difference between a drama and an english essay-don't get them confused. PRACTICE WRITING THEM!!
*practice your GP/IP in front of as many different types of audiences as much as you can-just so your COMPLETLY prepared for the examination day
*Have as fun as you can-drama's not like a fully theory-type class...play dress-up's!! makes fools of yourselves!! why? cause you can in drama :) peace out.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
- TOTALLY remember to spend time on your essays. They are worth 40% of your external marks and can make or break that Band 5/6. I know TOO many people who were writing essays on the weekend before the exam and analysing plays for the first time! Don't fall into that trap!

- Work your IP to a point of submission by the end of second term. Because no matter how good it is, it can always get better and you have two terms to refine it, rather than two weeks!

Ju

HSC
Is anyone reviewing 'The Sapphires' ? I've got tickets but I don't think I'll review it because a large component of it is music. Just a personal choice.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Ju said:
Is anyone reviewing 'The Sapphires' ? I've got tickets but I don't think I'll review it because a large component of it is music. Just a personal choice.
Okay, Sapphires is different. I'd review it, its aboriginal theatre! Despite the music, its bound to have political subtext, etc. Watch it, review it, and if you don't want to do it, just scrap the review.

supergirl

HSC
I've written one theatre review so far.
I did Car Gods Burn at the Q Theatre. I think my review is pretty damn good, if I do say so myself.

Ju

HSC
Yeah I saw Car Gods and have written a draft. Not sure whether I'm going to include it though. They really hyped up the nudity and what a letdown!

Agas

Stressed
HSC
Hey, I am going to see "the Permanent way" at STC, any one else doing it, what do you think, all i know at the moment is it is a British play based around the rail privitisation, and the ability of the average person to effect legislation. Is political theatre a good chioce or should i go for something not as heavy???

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Agas said:
Hey, I am going to see "the Permanent way" at STC, any one else doing it, what do you think, all i know at the moment is it is a British play based around the rail privitisation, and the ability of the average person to effect legislation. Is political theatre a good chioce or should i go for something not as heavy???
I think political theatre would be good but not for all of your plays. It could be a nice contrast to your others and maybe even if you choose to write in different styles, it would be something probably reviewed in street press (then again, maybe not cause of the heafty STC price tag) but it allows you to go (slightly) into the politcal subtexts and i guess make a more interesting and analytical review.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)