These UNSW forums are dying..... (1 Viewer)

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Like the title says, it seems that our forums and threads are dying from stupid, inane questions by the 08ers and a lack of older/regular BOS member responses/presence nowadays (myself included)?

For each year group that passes through our UNSW forums, very few of them ever return once their HSC is over. (My gf for example)

Even our moderators barely make a presence nowadays with their 'post'-thumous wisdom (I know they're still around here though...)

I'm not a huge fan of BOS (look at my minimal post count and then how I've been around since 2005) but I come here because its the only place where I can read and post relevant things to other UNSW students.

I tried once in the COMSOC forums when they still existed but all I ever used to read was "Like huy guyz!! I'm @S!aN, STUDYING ACCt/FINS!!" and then read the same response 5 times afterwards. I even remember using the YS forums for my year group too back in 07. (That place even inspired me to do YS the following year.)

My main point is who will still be around later on?

There is probably around 10 or so regulars who post in the UNSW area of BOS at the moment and even then, most of us aren't active until late at night.

There aren't any regular 08ers who post here either (just apathetic randoms who post questions wanting an answer they could've found for themselves by ringing uni or looking at the online handbook).

We'll all leave eventually and by then, BOS would be long forgotten but for now, it's kinda sad?

These were just some of my observations and I know this thread will soon fade into obscurity but I figured I'd just post it anyway.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Lazarus said:
What would make the forum better?
Some way to keep older students around longer to help out in the following year.

And all the stuff Forbidden said in regards to the BOS forums itself.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Re: 回复: Re: These UNSW forums are dying.....

Forbidden. said:
vBulletin version 3.6 or later
LaTeX
Current moderators being more active
etc...
I am currently working on the first and the third tasks.

I wasn't aware that there was much demand for LaTeX but if there is I don't see any reason not to investigate that as well - lower priority though, need to get some other things done first.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A

I'm waiting for Sunnys spot.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
tallkid34 said:
Like the title says, it seems that our forums and threads are dying from stupid, inane questions by the 08ers and a lack of older/regular BOS member responses/presence nowadays (myself included)?

For each year group that passes through our UNSW forums, very few of them ever return once their HSC is over. (My gf for example)

Even our moderators barely make a presence nowadays with their 'post'-thumous wisdom (I know they're still around here though...)

I'm not a huge fan of BOS (look at my minimal post count and then how I've been around since 2005) but I come here because its the only place where I can read and post relevant things to other UNSW students.

I tried once in the COMSOC forums when they still existed but all I ever used to read was "Like huy guyz!! I'm @S!aN, STUDYING ACCt/FINS!!" and then read the same response 5 times afterwards. I even remember using the YS forums for my year group too back in 07. (That place even inspired me to do YS the following year.)

My main point is who will still be around later on?

There is probably around 10 or so regulars who post in the UNSW area of BOS at the moment and even then, most of us aren't active until late at night.

There aren't any regular 08ers who post here either (just apathetic randoms who post questions wanting an answer they could've found for themselves by ringing uni or looking at the online handbook).

We'll all leave eventually and by then, BOS would be long forgotten but for now, it's kinda sad?

These were just some of my observations and I know this thread will soon fade into obscurity but I figured I'd just post it anyway.
I agree.

Im gana be a BOS veteran... my degree is 5 years, i guess ill be here for most of them.

The biggest improvement to these forums you could make is that moderators should be more active. (as Forbidden said)

Edit: You should make me moderator for these forums :) (Or Forbidden/Omie Jay / darkwolf) , we basically live on this site

Last edited:

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC

politik said:
Make me the mod for this forum Laz, i'm obviously overqualified.
No DONT!, you hate UTS! a 'moderator with hatred' is like a terrorist in Gun store.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Omium said:
I agree.

Im gana be a BOS veteran... my degree is 5 years, i guess ill be here for most of them.

The biggest improvement to these forums you could make is that moderators should be more active. (as Forbidden said)

Edit: You should make me moderator for these forums :) (Or Forbidden/Omie Jay / darkwolf) , we basically live on this site
lol, im mentioned!

Nah i shouldnt be mod, you/forbidden/darkwolf would do a good job.

btw, what do mods do? (i havnt really noticed em doing much, no offence to mods out there, im not that good with forums yet)

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
the only person who i'd agree wtih becoming a mod would be tallkid, and he's leaving

not that my word matters, just sayin'

Iruka

HSC
N/A
You may think that the UNSW forum is lame, but have you looked at the forums of some of the other unis? Especially the regional ones - I was thinking of doing a masters by correspondence from UNE about 6 months ago, so I was looking at their forum, to see what the uni was like, and I think they would be lucky to average even one post a month about any topic whatsoever.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Iruka said:
You may think that the UNSW forum is lame, but have you looked at the forums of some of the other unis? Especially the regional ones - I was thinking of doing a masters by correspondence from UNE about 6 months ago, so I was looking at their forum, to see what the uni was like, and I think they would be lucky to average even one post a month about any topic whatsoever.
I have noticed that, some only have like 1 thread in total.

Few weeks ago i posted on unsw and usyd threads to ask which uni (unsw or usyd) would be better for B sci/edu. UNSW got heaps of results, after a week i get 1 reply from the usyd one.

so how else can we improve our uni forum?

Pace_T

HSC
make the forum more visible. at the moment the most obvious sections of bos are the school and general sections.

i dunno, it just seems so out of the way to click on that little UNSW link in the tertiary education subheading.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Tertiary Education

General (31 Viewing)
Sub-Forums: General University Discussion, Transfers, Exchange and Overseas Study, Arts and Humanities, Commerce/Business, Education, IT/Computer Science, Law, Medicine and Medical/Health Studies, Science/Engineering

NSW / ACT (21 Viewing)
Sub-Forums: Australian Catholic University, Australian National University, Charles Sturt University, Macquarie University, Southern Cross University, University of Canberra, University of New England, University of New South Wales, University of Newcastle, University of Sydney, University of Technology, Sydney, University of Western Sydney, University of Wollongong, Private Colleges, TAFENSW

National / Interstate (2 Viewing)
Sub-Forums: Australian Maritime College, Bond University, Deakin University, Griffith University, James Cook University, La Trobe University, Monash University, Murdoch University, Queensland University of Technology, RMIT University, University of Adelaide, University of Melbourne, University of Notre Dame Australia, University of Queensland, University of South Australia, University of Southern Queensland, University of Western Australia, Victoria University, Other Universities, TAFE (Interstate)

Thus be my proposal, who agrees?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Omie Jay said:
Tertiary Education

General (31 Viewing)
Sub-Forums: General University Discussion, Transfers, Exchange and Overseas Study, Arts and Humanities, Commerce/Business, Education, IT/Computer Science, Law, Medicine and Medical/Health Studies, Science/Engineering

NSW / ACT (21 Viewing)
Sub-Forums: Australian Catholic University, Australian National University, Charles Sturt University, Macquarie University, Southern Cross University, University of Canberra, University of New England, University of New South Wales, University of Newcastle, University of Sydney, University of Technology, Sydney, University of Western Sydney, University of Wollongong, Private Colleges, TAFENSW

National / Interstate (2 Viewing)
Sub-Forums: Australian Maritime College, Bond University, Deakin University, Griffith University, James Cook University, La Trobe University, Monash University, Murdoch University, Queensland University of Technology, RMIT University, University of Adelaide, University of Melbourne, University of Notre Dame Australia, University of Queensland, University of South Australia, University of Southern Queensland, University of Western Australia, Victoria University, Other Universities, TAFE (Interstate)

Thus be my proposal, who agrees?
Doing that and putting some colour on will potentially increase the number of viewer up to 2 (you and me).

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Mods are around. It's just you guys reply so quick that I have nothing left to say. :D

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
sif...we just need some decent bosers to hang around after high school

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)