This forum is going downhill, fast! (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
let's look at this from an open view:

predictions cost members time and effort, they have to think about your ranks/marks, your school etc. therefore the fact that they are done is due to the generosity and goodwill of the people of these forums.

an overinflated prediction can often lead to complacency and that person will be gravely disappointed when they receive a UAI 10 index points lower than their prediction.

an understated prediction will lead to "sadness, then into a fast, thence to a watch, thence into a weakness, thence to a lightness, and by this declension, into the madness" of depression.

so my 2cents is predictions are not good thing.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I'm not for or against having UAI predictions if you are wondering. I don't mind what it turns out but i still would like to express some of my points.

As for point number 2, im sure you know that many people ask for predictions and theres no real way of stopping it besides allowing them to post it and having to get a moderator to delete every one of them. It's not really practical.

If somehow it was banned and assuming people read the sticky's I believe there will be no use for this section of the forum at all.

There are a lot of confused people are there. Most won't know how to use the UAISeeker, and even reading the manual still not understand.

I believe just a "HSC Help" section (as most suited by the boredofstudies ad) would be feasible where people can give their marks and ranks etc.. and ask on how to improve rather than a UAI prediction. I for one don't mind whether UAI predictions should be allowed or not.

Originally posted by Golani
You're supporting my points either way. This leads to a mass of people coming here asking for predictions, it's annoying, it floods the forum with individualistic, predominantly irrelevant issues for the rest of us. Besides, ir's cheap and slack.
What type of predominantly, irrelevant issue might that be? UAI predictions are very much relevent to the section.

You are not and never forced to give these predictions nor encouraged so there is no real issue towards you. And by saying "you" i mean everyone in general, even myself.

Last edited:

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Originally posted by Cyph
Agreed Ragerunner,

if the person has a post count of 1, I most likely won't predict their UAI. If it's obvious their sole intention is to get a UAIP and not contribute to the forum, I won't reply. I also take into account whether they bother to type please, thanks, etc. properly if I'm in a real nasty mood :D
That sounds like a good idea. I don't know if its practical but it sounds like it will work.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Out of all the available options presented by Laz, I'm only opposed to keep the present system. However, the only clearly feasable option would be to create a new forum. But I'm not sure how much good that'd do. :)

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
2) Allow only 'non-UAISeeker-able' predictions.
This option would deal with the last negative point mentioned above. It does, however, have the potential to spiral out of control, as has already happened - particularly if knowledgeable users keep responding to prediction threads. This option would also retain the advantages outlined in Ragerunner's last post.
i think this should be the course taken. i truly believe people should just go out there and BUY the thing. speaking from experience it actually encouraged me to try and understand the whole process, as well.

i think responding to random "Uai Prediction request plzzz" threads does nothing to help students understand the process. i think it gives them the quick fix they're looking for and that's it. if a student were encouraged to purchase the program before they came to people with queries, i think the queries themselves would be more relevant and more worthy of a response. i also just think that everyone would be better off - the moderators, the admin, and the students themselves who will be encouraged to have some further understanding of the process.

however, if there truly IS some thing which stops them from paying for the program, or whatever - and not a bullshit excuse as i'm sure many would use- then of course that should be taken into consideration cos as far as i have seen, this whole forum IS about helping people.

but yeah, my two cents. i think you'd have a much healthier UAI/HSC Marks forum if you went for option number 2. i mean, you guys complain about the spam in the non-school forum; i see this forum as being TOTALLY inundated by spam by faceless random anonymous members who make no attempt to understand the process or what it involves. i mean how many times have i seen one of the moderators refer someone to one of the stickys which is RIGHT there for reading?

Maybe, somehow, there should be a screening process for predictions, like an application or something. but i can see how that would involve a lot of (perhaps unnecessary) work, and in that way it's undesirable.

Last edited:

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
It doesn't really do that much good, just more organised. But you can't really hide from people posting these predictions. It will always happen unless Laz with his godly powers can make it happen :D:D:D:D:D:D

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
How do you prove that the situation is an "Un-UAISeekerable" problem? and as stated, going for option 2 means someone deleted every post that is a UAI prediction thread... which would bring bad name to boredofstudies thinking they are "Nazi-admins".

At least the UAI/HSC section actually stays on topic :p Non school goes all wacko about umm.. VS Minai and all these who looks better threads haha :D

In reply to your last message. Remember most people who come here are those with 1 post and just ask for a prediction, so they wouldn't have a clue whether they are being discouraged by ignoring them.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
are you upset because you won't be able to make predictions anymore? j/k

i wouldn't dare to narrow down, or establish a criteria which would serve as proof for what would be a "un-uaiseekerable" problem. i think it's far too broad an issue and there are exceptions to every rule. I'd leave that sort of technical stuff to people like Laz :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I don't really mind what happens, but this is a kind of a debate (as Laz said) so i'll showed you why I think it should be kept or adjusted.

Basically most people don't want to do too much work on the forum i.e. going around making sure everyone is -entirely- obeying the rules. Just because there is so called 'spam' doesn't mean it has to be deleted. Reading over, I find that this is more about a 'spam' situation rather than a UAI prediction one.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Alright, I've reviewed the opinions and arguments that have been posted in this thread, along with my own thoughts and concerns (not all of which have been expressed here).

I've decided that the best course of action would be to create a separate forum. However, having said that, the emphasis of the forum would not be on UAI predictions. Instead, the forum would act as a medium for the provision of advice relating to the UAI and students' HSC marks. The present forum would be converted into a 'technical' forum, being preserved exclusively for objective questions concerning the system itself.

Please observe the distinction henceforth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)