• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

This is what HIP-HOP is. (1 Viewer)

HSC
Mumma said:
The word rap has its origins in rape, and the style of music seeks to emulate these audial designs. It includes constant verbal ear bashing, and violent scratchings. It is also a male dominated genre, and primarily enjoyed by those who seek to reject popular culture. It is an 'underground' genre, that frequently involves what outsiders understand as 'rap battles' - where one contender seeks to rap or 'rape' the other contender with their rhythms. The winner is declared the 'daddy' and instills a sense of awe in the aspiring rape artists. The authorities seek to stem this horrid practice, but are failing under the mass of followers.

Save the world. Don't listen to rap.

- Graves
well graves is obviously an ignoramus

DU DUU DUUUUU I WANNA KILL YOU SLIT YOUR WRISTS FOR MEE I WANNA CUT U UP AND LICK THE BLOOD YEAHHHHHHHHHHH *bangs head violently and jumps around* RAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH *bangs drums* WHY U LEAVE MEEEEEEEEEE OOOO WAHAHAHAHA DEAD ANGELS MAKE ME HORNYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY RAHHHHHHHHHHHH RAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

save the world,

listen to metal.

did i just chuck a 'grave's LOLOLOL

Last edited:

otay

HSC
Mumma said:
It is also a male dominated genre
As opposed to rock? metal? punk? oh i forgot avril lavigne is supposed to be a chick aye? apart from pop and r&b there are as many female hip hop artists as there are in most other genres.

illmatic

NaS
HSC
Mumma said:
The word rap has its origins in rape, and the style of music seeks to emulate these audial designs. It includes constant verbal ear bashing, and violent scratchings. It is also a male dominated genre, and primarily enjoyed by those who seek to reject popular culture. It is an 'underground' genre, that frequently involves what outsiders understand as 'rap battles' - where one contender seeks to rap or 'rape' the other contender with their rhythms. The winner is declared the 'daddy' and instills a sense of awe in the aspiring rape artists. The authorities seek to stem this horrid practice, but are failing under the mass of followers.

Save the world. Don't listen to rap.

- Graves

??? "Male dominated genre"? So what the fuck is metal? What female metal bands exist?????? Oh that's right, none.

Ohhh hang on a sec...silly me!! You were being funny werent you???? Rap = Rape omg how did you come up with that???? HAR HAR HAR HAR...!!

No.

Now go fuck your gothic bitch....or umm... suck her blood - whatever you prefer :)

otay

HSC
illmatic said:
Now go fuck your gothic bitch....or umm... suck her blood - whatever you prefer :)

hahahahahaha. that is one ugly bitch.

corro

HSC
a sheet with conveniently placed holes would solve your problem

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
illmatic said:
What the hell are you talking about? He mean's the pitch of the voice. He's saying now rapping didn't involve emphasising the last word by increasing the tone, or pitch, of the voice. He used the same tone, i.e, he made no adjustment to pitch. So what he said is perfectly correct.
ew, that really made me head explode cuz you dont know what the fuck.

rap a line, and the emphasis on the last word is with power/volume/emphasis. if it were pitch, it'd be singing. SINGING. There may be a slight change of tone but that's a microtone (ie, a slight change in pitch that doesnt exist on any musical scale) and at times the pitch may distinctly change but the range is quite limited... usually falling back on the one note again. Nelly seems to do that quite often, but in THIS context where the example was about the last syllable in a line, it obviously wasn't about pitch, but emphasis, (and in musical terms, an accent).

and if you still think i dont know what i'm talking about, i'll start talking on my high horse again and tell you I go to the Conservatorium of Music doing a Bachelor of Music and music is all I know, fucker.

but i was just on a high horse before too, forgive me on that.

but syncopated = every other beat.

Cuz say a beat goes 1, 2, 3, 4. syncopated means you're singing/rapping/whatever on NONE of those beats, like "every other beat" which hip hop hardly does.

I'm just saying, it was flawed, but overall written pretty well. Oh no, someone said it was slightly flawed, let's beat her down with a stick saying she doesn't know what she's talking about even though she's doing a music degree and probably does and we don't.

Fucker.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
I go to the Conservatorium of Music doing a Bachelor of Music and music is all I know, fucker.

do you have to mention this in every one of your posts?

hahaha, and you still like john mayer

illmatic

NaS
HSC
A bit cocky aren't you? Don' t let your head infate too much :)

Ever heard a mother saying to her child "dont speak to me in that tone of voice"? What does this mean?

It mean's there is an angry tone, sad tone, rude tone, no?

In any case Wikipedia defines "tone" as,

Tone refers to the use of pitch in language to distinguish words. All languages use intonation to express emphasis, emotion, or other such nuances, but not every language uses tone to distinguish meaning outright. When this occurs, tones are equally important and essential as phonemes (discrete sounds, for example, /t/, or /d/), and they are referred to as tonemes.

Even Princeton University defines it as "of one's speech, varying the pitch"

-------

Maybe im understanding you wrong? And why call me 'fucker'?? lmao

Comrade nathan

HSC
4. Hip-hop's creators were Black and Latino.
Young Jewish males from the middle class suburbs of New York influenced the earily beginnings of graffiti.

Here is a good website for info on hip hop Kulture http://www.templeofhiphop.org/

The Temple of HipHop, which is lead by Krs-One, claims their to be 8 elemements of Hip Hop.

Breakin, Emceein, Graffiti Art, Deejayin, Beatboxin, Stree Fashion, Street Language, Stree Knowledge, Street Entreprenuerialism.

Last edited:

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
maybe you should make a wog thread, i'd post in it just so you didnt feel lonely.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
artheterosexual said:
do you have to mention this in every one of your posts?

hahaha, and you still like john mayer
Better him than Merzbrow;)

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
ew, that really made me head explode cuz you dont know what the fuck.

rap a line, and the emphasis on the last word is with power/volume/emphasis. if it were pitch, it'd be singing. SINGING. There may be a slight change of tone but that's a microtone (ie, a slight change in pitch that doesnt exist on any musical scale) and at times the pitch may distinctly change but the range is quite limited... usually falling back on the one note again. Nelly seems to do that quite often, but in THIS context where the example was about the last syllable in a line, it obviously wasn't about pitch, but emphasis, (and in musical terms, an accent).

and if you still think i dont know what i'm talking about, i'll start talking on my high horse again and tell you I go to the Conservatorium of Music doing a Bachelor of Music and music is all I know, fucker.

but i was just on a high horse before too, forgive me on that.

but syncopated = every other beat.

Cuz say a beat goes 1, 2, 3, 4. syncopated means you're singing/rapping/whatever on NONE of those beats, like "every other beat" which hip hop hardly does.

I'm just saying, it was flawed, but overall written pretty well. Oh no, someone said it was slightly flawed, let's beat her down with a stick saying she doesn't know what she's talking about even though she's doing a music degree and probably does and we don't.

Fucker.
I thought syncopation was when there was emphasis on a note that is not normally emphasised?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
steph@nie said:
I thought syncopation was when there was emphasis on a note that is not normally emphasised?
yep, you're right

and illmatic, yeah you're right, i was being very nit picky with the words. i suppose with your definition of tone, it marks not only pitch but volume and everything, which is true, just vague in musical terms. but you're right anyway.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
steph@nie said:
maybe you should make a wog thread, i'd post in it just so you didnt feel lonely.
err..y would i make a wog thread?
there has been an overwhelming amout of hiphop threads..i dont have a problem with it
considering im into hiphop..

illmatic

NaS
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
yep, you're right

and illmatic, yeah you're right, i was being very nit picky with the words. i suppose with your definition of tone, it marks not only pitch but volume and everything, which is true, just vague in musical terms. but you're right anyway.

haha just a big misunderstanding :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)