this years exam - band 6 cutoff? (1 Viewer)

EATAPIE

BMW>>>>Mercedes (see sig)
HSC
Captain pi said:
The Board's Consultative Committee has decided that the only condition from which a 100 examination mark can be awarded is if someone achieves 100% total weighted mark. Even if someone scores 99/100 and the Band 5/6 cut-off is 30/100, they will only get 99.
that is so slack. and is that for all subjects? or not including maths? wow, so it's near impossible to get 100 except in maths because in maths u don't lose like a mark here and there in huge 8 markers like in chem.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Covering absolutely every aspect in a 7 mark question is like a skill all in itself... You can have the most complete, throrough explanation ever, that covers everything, justifies it with reactions/calculations, but if you leave out a particular key word (eg. explain it without using the actual word) then you get 6.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Covering absolutely every aspect in a 7 mark question is like a skill all in itself... You can have the most complete, throrough explanation ever, that covers everything, justifies it with reactions/calculations, but if you leave out a particular key word (eg. explain it without using the actual word) then you get 6.
Just continually relate it back to the question and that should keep you on track to get 7, provided you have the knowledge to support it. But then again, it is difficult nonetheless.

mitch250

i was just wondering that if you got a raw mark of like 73 say, would that scale into like a high band 5? im not sure exactly how all this stuff works, could someone explain??

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
kurupt8716 said:
can we talk about membrane filters for the 7 mark question?........ bcoz it said methods of purifying water
well, it said evaluate (or was it assess?), so i mentioned that the methods are a balance between effectivness and cost, and mentioned membrane filters.. didn't really blab on about them too much. The "methods" they were refering to were things like aeration, flocullation, sedimentation, filtration, chlorination etc...

HSC
fuck i didnt talk about any of those at all, I was just talking about how phosphate run off and the deforestation's effects and how to prevent it

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
oh crap. i did talk about all that stuff, amaziongly i memorised the 9 steps...i can still hear them ringing in my head! arrggh! screening, aeration, flocculation, sedimentation, filtration, chlorination, pH adjustment, flouridation and lastly storage reservoir......KUDOS TO YOU MAQUARIE GUIDE! it saved my life for that question, also talking about the management techniques, the problems faced by giardia and cryptosporidium and balancing between cost and quality. that qas the best question in the paper i think.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
darkwarrior2 said:
how much would a low to mid 70% scale to? it doesnt seem like chem scales as much as i thought it would.
It's important to distinguish between scaling and aligning. They are independent processes, but on this occasion I think you're talking about aligning. A raw exam mark of 70-75/100 would probably align to ~83-87/100 aligned (so around a mid Band 5). This is just an estimate though...it's not based on any conclusive stats.

Kyroth***

HSC
Wow, I had no idea about all this! I though a mark of 80 got u an 80! Now I have much renewed hope for all my subjects, especially bio! I was so cut when I got 78 in the trial, cos I thought that meant band 4, even though the person who got 3rd got like 50. Much yayness for aligning!

lala2

Banned
HSC
I hope so, because I'm hoping for an 80+ raw so I can actually get the first band 6 for Chem in my life. Forensics I thought was actually ok, but I didn't study HPLC so I was totally stuffed for the 5 marker. Damn. At least I think I pulled off the 7-marker electrophoresis one all right.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
The only thing I fear about discussing this (particularly for the 06ers) is that students will become complacent, thinking that the aligning process will "boost" their marks up and eliminate the need to try their best. This isn't true...it is still necessary to work hard. Laying back and saying "well, if 65 aligns to a Band 5, I don't need to bother trying anymore" is the wrong way to go about the HSC exams.

I'm not targetting this at anyone specifically, but this is just a general statement that I thought was worth pointing out.

darkwarrior2

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
The only thing I fear about discussing this (particularly for the 06ers) is that students will become complacent, thinking that the aligning process will "boost" their marks up and eliminate the need to try their best. This isn't true...it is still necessary to work hard. Laying back and saying "well, if 65 aligns to a Band 5, I don't need to bother trying anymore" is the wrong way to go about the HSC exams.

I'm not targetting this at anyone specifically, but this is just a general statement that I thought was worth pointing out.
yeh true, but it does elimenate a certain amount of worry for those of us who thought we couldve done better omg, i made stupid mistake of stuffing molar ratios up...the basics..so i lost plenty of marks there :S so i generally couldve done better as a raw mark + my school rankings aint too crash hot either.

Captain pi

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Didn't Keypad get 100 for MX1? He didn't get a total weighted mark of 100 though did he?
I don't know; but my definition would prevail nevertheless.

Only one person needs to get 100%. So long as that happens, the process occurs normally and a 99.5 is rounded to a 100. It's only when no-one achieves 100% that no 100s are awarded – regardless of rounding. So, in the case of MX1, someone achieved 100% in the exam and so a total weighted mark of, say, 83/84 may have aligned to 100.

bassqueen16

HSC
Captain pi said:
Only one person needs to get 100%
Im not sure if this has already been asked but then do any of you know someone who got either a UAI of 100 or marks of 100?

dr3amy

yea i know someone who got uai of 100 in 2003 and topped state for chem & physics and almost bio, but he wasnt on the borderline of geting 100 even if he stuffed up a bit more he would still have got it

dr3amy

oh and he didnt get 100 for chem or physics even though he topped state it was something like 99 or 98. do people actually get 100 for subjects?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Captain pi said:
I don't know; but my definition would prevail nevertheless.

Only one person needs to get 100%. So long as that happens, the process occurs normally and a 99.5 is rounded to a 100. It's only when no-one achieves 100% that no 100s are awarded – regardless of rounding. So, in the case of MX1, someone achieved 100% in the exam and so a total weighted mark of, say, 83/84 may have aligned to 100.
Ah ic. Thanks captain :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)