Thoses silly netbooks we got (1 Viewer)

ej114

HSC
We have been told that we need to bring them or else we get an arvo, then another, then possibly suspention etc. i had the arguement with one of my teachers that consisted off expect me to bring my textbook then dont expect a laptop because i cant physically carry everything and not injury my back even more.

We were told we could hand them back in if we didnt use them. Has anyone elses school done this?

powlmao

Banned
HSC
The hinges broke...
Ouch, don't you get a temp one??

By the way, is the IGNITE thing in your sig the church group?

We have been told that we need to bring them or else we get an arvo, then another, then possibly suspention etc. i had the arguement with one of my teachers that consisted off expect me to bring my textbook then dont expect a laptop because i cant physically carry everything and not injury my back even more.

We were told we could hand them back in if we didnt use them. Has anyone elses school done this?
Unlucky.

My teachers don'texpect them at all. The whole program was so stupid.

ej114

HSC
the only department that expects them is science ... for some reason they expect us to be able to type up equations quicker on onenote and word than to write them out by hand

powlmao

Banned
HSC
the only department that expects them is science ... for some reason they expect us to be able to type up equations quicker on onenote and word than to write them out by hand
That is weird. My IPT teacher expects them but she doesn't quite mind if you use paper when you argue that you want practise writing.

The netbooks are a total waste of money.

ej114

HSC
all the teachers have given up on trying to get me to bring it everyday but i will bring it if they go we need laptops for this lesson because you are doing research for ____________ and the information isn't in the textbook.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
The programs they put on it makes it so laggy that scrolling down is a pain...
They took out the fking dictionary and kept all this multimedia crap 95% of people won't ever use!!!! Wtf!!!!

Heaps of other crap but i don't know why some people complain so much. It's a free laptop, what do you expect?

Gigacube

HSC
Also it's a netbook. You can't expect programs such as Adobe Illustrator to run smoothly.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Also it's a netbook. You can't expect programs such as Adobe Illustrator to run smoothly.
Then why put it on there? All that crap security junk just renders it unusable. I wouldn't really care if they took the laptops back to be honest.

Gigacube

HSC
Then why put it on there? All that crap security junk just renders it unusable. I wouldn't really care if they took the laptops back to be honest.
The Govt. probably thought it would be useful. I don't think they were very informed about netbooks.

I think one problem with bringing the netbooks into classrooms is the lack of training the teachers received for it.

gonewrong

HSC
haha, our school gave us macbooks! i love mine, it's so handy.
but not, perhaps, for school.
in legal studies our teacher isn't letting anyone use them for taking notes in year 12 - apparently the prelim marks had huuge discrepancies between the people who typed and the people who hand-wrote, which is interesting.

Gigacube

HSC
in legal studies our teacher isn't letting anyone use them for taking notes in year 12 - apparently the prelim marks had huuge discrepancies between the people who typed and the people who hand-wrote, which is interesting.
I don't think it's surprising at all. Your MacBook would probably serve as a distraction rather than an educational tool.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I don't think it's surprising at all. Your MacBook would probably serve as a distraction rather than an educational tool.
True, and it will probably mess your writing up.

My handwriting is so messy but I can manage to write 8 pages in a hour for a extended response.

AbaKaan

HSC
Agreed. But as one of my teachers put it: "What do you expect? They're 500 dollar laptops with 10000 dollars worth of software on them"

And yeah, all the multimedia stuff on there i bet 90% of people will not use.
and what happened to Encarta Dictionary!!??? :O

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Agreed. But as one of my teachers put it: "What do you expect? They're 500 dollar laptops with 10000 dollars worth of software on them"

And yeah, all the multimedia stuff on there i bet 90% of people will not use.
and what happened to Encarta Dictionary!!??? :O
I heard that they spent $2000 on each laptop and the laptop would cost $500 brand new so it's roughly $1500 of software that almost nobody uses. Anyway, why use it on the slow netbook when there are much faster computers in the computer rooms, libraries...etc.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I heard that they spent $2000 on each laptop and the laptop would cost $500 brand new so it's roughly $1500 of software that almost nobody uses. Anyway, why use it on the slow netbook when there are much faster computers in the computer rooms, libraries...etc.
Adobe Master Suite costs $2000 each and each computer has it. All the software is a waste of money.

If anyone else getting Smart Boards in all their class rooms?? My school is for some reason I fell that is heaps stupid.

Gigacube

HSC
Adobe Master Suite costs $2000 each and each computer has it. All the software is a waste of money.

If anyone else getting Smart Boards in all their class rooms?? My school is for some reason I fell that is heaps stupid.
They got some of the software discounted.

The majority of schools have Smart Boards in some classrooms now. I don't think it is stupid as it allows the teachers to show us things on the web instead of us all moving to the computer labs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)