Three Phase AC generators (1 Viewer)

HyperComplexxx

ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
HSC
How would you represent voltage output on a graph?
Do you add the three phases together or what

jamesfirst

HSC
It's in the Jacaranda textbook

They have draw 3 sine graphs with different periods and superimposed it I think.

HyperComplexxx

ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
HSC
i see
also what does it mean when it says DC output can be made smoother by adding more coils to armature

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
i see
also what does it mean when it says DC output can be made smoother by adding more coils to armature
The output of a DC generator is not a true DC signal, it is merely a full-wave rectified AC signal (i.e., absolute value of an AC graph)

singledcoutput.GIF

Real DC generators generally have 3 coils, 120degrees out of phase with eachother and each coil hooked up to a part of a multi-part commutator and the section of the commutator connected to the coil which is most parallel to the field is in contact with the brushes. (diagram below is of a 2 coil DC generator)

multicoildcarmature.GIF

This ensures the output voltage/current is always close to maximum and produces what is called a "ripple" voltage (diagram shows output from a 2-coil DC generator) -- the output EMF is the bold black line

3phase-output.GIF

This "ripple" voltage is smoother than from a single coil DC generator corresponds much more to a true DC signal (straight horizontal line on a Voltage vs time graph), even more so if a capacitor is added to smooth the voltage further.
Also, the more coils you put in the closer this "ripple" voltage gets to a true DC signal.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)