Times for end of year HSC Exam (1 Viewer)

Maddii95

HSC
Just received a booklet on how long each exam is and what time it is...
When I went through and then found Mathematics and realised that the exam goes for three hours!
I know myself that I start to lose interest about 40 minutes into every exam, therefore my question is how do I keep myself from falling out of interest and stop myself just wanting to fall asleep during the exam.

Plus does anyone else find that the amount of time for each exam excessive or daunting?

:jawdrop:

Last edited:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi there, make sure you be enough sleep and don't cram, the day before the exam. You could always eat lollies during the test (gummy bears, sour worms) to provide a sugar rush too!

Maddii95

HSC
Hi there, make sure you be enough sleep and don't cram, the day before the exam. You could always eat lollies during the test (gummy bears, sour worms) to provide a sugar rush too!
I've tried the lolly thing before but kept getting told to give up the food as "no-one else had the chance to have food either"

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
I've tried the lolly thing before but kept getting told to give up the food as "no-one else had the chance to have food either"
Lol, I had small gobstoppers that you suck on in my pocket.... Always does the trick .

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
You're not actually allowed to bring food into HSC exams though.

You can have a bottle of water to drink and thats it.

Only people are who allowed to have food are people with medical conditions (ie. Diabetics) and even then they had this under special conditions so nobody was disturbed during their breaks.

Also, I'm really shocked you had no idea some exams went for three hours. Our school prepped us for years with that, and my school was crap! :p

Now I'm at uni I've got 3 hour exams again, so I'd recommend getting use to doing practice papers etc. so you adjust to the time.

To be fair, I don't know of many people who've needed the entire 3 hours to finish their papers, I'd say most finish earlier. It's the people who stay back and check 40 times and those who are struggling that need the whole period.

Maddii95

HSC
You're not actually allowed to bring food into HSC exams though.

You can have a bottle of water to drink and thats it.

Only people are who allowed to have food are people with medical conditions (ie. Diabetics) and even then they had this under special conditions so nobody was disturbed during their breaks.

Also, I'm really shocked you had no idea some exams went for three hours. Our school prepped us for years with that, and my school was crap! :p

Now I'm at uni I've got 3 hour exams again, so I'd recommend getting use to doing practice papers etc. so you adjust to the time.

To be fair, I don't know of many people who've needed the entire 3 hours to finish their papers, I'd say most finish earlier. It's the people who stay back and check 40 times and those who are struggling that need the whole period.
I'm from Rural New South Wales. We are basically given information and explained to a certain extent and then go into exams with out knowing that the exam is going to be for 3 hours, usually our exams only lasted for 1 1/2 hours - 2 hours.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Well that sucks!
:c

Regardless....
-Past papers. Get used to sitting down and doing a paper and allowing 3 hours to get it done.

I get distracted too, but just remember its your HSC and its imperative that you concentrate for as long as possible so you can do your best.

Maybe you should work for 40 minutes, then take a little mental break, and then another 40 minutes? IMO you don't want to forget you're in the middle of an exam because its important, but at the same time you don't want to push yourself to mental exhaustion.

Anyway, most movies go for over 2.5 hours now, surely if you can sit through an entire film, you can get through an exam! :p

Sunners

HSC
Uni Grad
Practice past papers for the full 3 hours. As I have special provisions my half-yearlies were all nearly 3 hours and I've found you get given 3 hours because they expect thats how long they expect it to take. They even stated on the BOS website that for each paper, a teacher 'sits' the HSC exam so ensure we can do it in that time. I've also found that practicing it helps, plus doing subjects you enjoy help too.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
I think it was a little daunting for us when we found out our HSC exams were 3 hours as well because most our school exams only went for 2 hours tops but I don't think its excessive if you use your time wisely. Pace yourself throughout the exam, rather then rush through it, check over your answers for errors, add any more detail, recheck you've actually answered what the question was asking, etc.
Maybe if you find your attention drifting during exams, start practising sitting through past HSC exams to get used to being there for that amount of time :)

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
Trust me, just sit at the back of the hall, and have those gobstoppers in your school blazer, always works :p. Just suck on one every 30 minutes.

v1

HSC

I know myself that I start to lose interest about 40 minutes into every exam
solution: practice enough to finish the exam in 40 minutes and walk out before you get bored...
more realistically, the more time you have the better (checking over etc.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)