• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Timing in the MX2 exam (1 Viewer)

tempco

HSC
dawso said:
no way, id say the average for question 1 is about 12-13, and if u actually beleived that the "average" is 15 wen the maximum is 15, then maybe u shudnt do 4unit....
same thing. point is, the average of question 1 is close to full marks.

and yes, maybe i shouldn't do 4u.

:rolleyes:

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
tempco said:
same thing. point is, the average of question 1 is close to full marks.

and yes, maybe i shouldn't do 4u.

:rolleyes:
please note that my post was meant in a constructive way towards the fact that failure to acheive 15/15 is not a failure but can still result in a high hsc mark, not in a "fuck off, ur stupid, im justchillin, u all suck" kinda way....;)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
antwan2bu said:
would that scale to around like 95+ kfunk?
I wouldn't have a clue :p. If I could get 95+ in 4U then I would be more than happy.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
tempco said:
according to my teacher, the average mark of question 1 is roughly 15/15, and 1/15 for question 8.

so yeh.
Yea. I think most students would get 14-15/15 for Q1, probably with most marks being lost due to carelessness more than anything else. As for Q8, I think people tend to overestimate its difficulty...it is a hard question and you'd be amongst the elite if you got >10/15 I imagine, but getting 2-3/15 is usually achievable in HSC papers, even for the average MX2 student.

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
I can actually get a lot of the 7&8's but i doubt I'd get to finish within the time limit. I know a lot of people like this, they can get it but probably not within the time limits.

There are usually 5-6 people in the state who get 10+ in question 8 and about 1-2 who get full marks or close to.

I'm looking at those times too.

1 hr for 1-4
5-6 about 50 or so
_ideally_, you would need about an hour and a bit for 7 and 8.

ishq

brown?
HSC
I liked the 2002 HSC paper. I could do it. :)

I wouldnt want a hard paper - it would demoralise me and take the fun out of the 3 hours to come. The paper should be doable - give everyone a chance.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
well if last year's paper was anything to go by, then this year shouldn't be evil, just hard enough to seperate the real asians and the rest.

dawso

HSC
blackfriday said:
well if last year's paper was anything to go by, then this year shouldn't be evil, just hard enough to seperate the real asians and the rest.
omg, fucking quote of the year!!!!

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
blackfriday said:
lol...I think Keypad would be slightly offended by that statement :)

So far I've done the 2000, 2001 and 2004 HSC papers and from most to least difficult (based on my mark for each), I'd say 2000 > 2004 > 2001 which actually surprised me to an extent.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Sepulchres said:
I can actually get a lot of the 7&8's but i doubt I'd get to finish within the time limit. I know a lot of people like this, they can get it but probably not within the time limits.
I think that's one of the problems confronted by most students - if the exam were 3.5 or 4 hours long then it'd be somewhat easier to achieve higher marks, but I guess we just have to use what we're given :(

I'm hoping for:
Q1-4 = 60 mins
Q5-6 = 45 mins
Q7-8 = 75 mins
Nevertheless, given that I'll probably only be able to answer < ~15/30 marks correctly in Q7-8 I might have more time for the rest of the paper :D

Actually, that leads me to another question. Suppose you had answered all that you thought you could (maybe around 80-100/120) and you had 20-25 minutes left, would you spend that time checking Q1-3 or attempting one of the questions you couldn't do initially?

Last edited:

dawso

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
I think that's one of the problems confronted by most students - if the exam were 3.5 or 4 hours long then it'd be somewhat easier to achieve higher marks, but I guess we just have to use what we're given :(

I'm hoping for:
Q1-4 = 60 mins
Q5-6 = 45 mins
Q7-8 = 75 mins
Nevertheless, given that I'll probably only be able to answer < ~15/30 marks correctly in Q7-8 I might have more time for the rest of the paper :D
i disagree, after 3 hours u will be so mentally drained that u dont wanna do any more....

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
blackfriday said:
~ ReNcH ~ said:
lol...I think Keypad would be slightly offended by that statement
And Hugh Miller, who topped maths in 2001.

I wouldn't mind a 4 hour test.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
ishq said:
I liked the 2002 HSC paper. I could do it. :)

I wouldnt want a hard paper - it would demoralise me and take the fun out of the 3 hours to come. The paper should be doable - give everyone a chance.
I just did the 2002 paper...I definitely agree with you: a nice doable paper. If the 2005 paper is somewhere along the lines of the 2002 paper I'll be happy :)

Antwan23q

God
HSC
thinkin about standard english is painful...
you know, the whole concept of a hsc is painful

HSC
hehe, as if the concept of the HSC doesn't include the idea of a world post-HSC. mmmmm...not so painful....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)