Tired of School? (1 Viewer)

TheTed09

HSC
Year 12 looks like it is going to be so gloomy. My grandparents want me to do about 5 hrs of study per night (with weekends off if im lucky). That may not seem like much to some people but heaps to others. I just finished year 11 last term and so far Year 12 seems so full on. Are we meant to keep up this pace for another year? How do the past year 12s do it? I always used to see seniors as goofy and immature but with so much pressure if you didnt relax once in a while wouldnt you go insane?

I need tips of survival people... I dont know if I was better off as a kid or if I'm going to be better off after 1 year of hell. :(

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
It never stops, so man the fuck up...

Next there's Uni/TAFE/Apprenticeship whatever...

Then you work... and the only time you'll actually get to relax is when you retire... and by then you'll be so worn out and your body so wrecked you won't be able to enjoy it!

mggail

HSC
Well I've just finished year 12, still got last exams to go.. The start of it is a bit daunting, everyone telling you that you should be doing over 25 hours study a week but really, that doesnt happen unless your planning on getting some outragous score (I wasn't). I think it depends a bit on how you went in year 11, I did fine and the only time I actually studied was the night before an exam. So I havent put that much effort into this year, but it does get a fair bit harder in year 12 so you do a bit more work.

Still, don't stress about it too much, theres a thousand other ways to get into uni if thats what you want to do and my favourite comeback for not doing brillently is "some of the most sucessful people haven't gone to uni etc AND did you know the head of Bankwest has no formal qualifications!" Haha yeah so hope that helps and enjoy it, its your last year and you can have heaps of fun :)

lychnobity

HSC
I need tips of survival people... I dont know if I was better off as a kid or if I'm going to be better off after 1 year of hell. :(
Be consistent, stay on top of the work, prepare a few weeks in advance for assessments (2), learn summarised notes throughout the year, do practice questions/papers.

If not, listen to music while studying, take a break every 3h, power nap

tbh, 5h/day is a bit excessive

tonyharrison

HSC
Yr 12 aint that bad. Mostly just the assessments .. so many assessments.

As if 5 hrs a night! You have to make sure you relax as well, and if you are going to study heaps, make sure that time is productive. Try not to waste time doing something half between writing notes, and half between anything else that distracts you.

Moral: try be disciplined with yourself :)

Fish Tank

That guy
HSC
In Soviet Russia, school is tired of YOU :rofl:

Tbh I reckon my school's had enough of me. I'm one of 7 who are going thru yr 12 with 13 units. They're convincing all of us to drop at least 3 units :(

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
Be consistent, stay on top of the work, prepare a few weeks in advance for assessments (2), learn summarised notes throughout the year, do practice questions/papers.

If not, listen to music while studying, take a break every 3h, power nap

tbh, 5h/day is a bit excessive
A break every 3 hours!? More like every 50 minutes (or however long your normal school periods are).

Got2Kno91

HSC
The best thing for reducing stress in the HSC is consistency (as others have pointed out). PLEASE be consistent!! Keep on top of all your work! Don't avoid homework, don't start set tasks late, try to be revising through the whole year! Don't get distracted when your studying - cut out the distractions. Its much better to study 3 hours with complete and utter concentration on the task at hand than to study 8 hours while daydreaming/getting distracted/etc. Not only that, but it leaves you alot more time to still enjoy life if your efficient!

Importantly, if you stuff up an assessment/exam, DON'T GIVE UP. I remember, I had this completely unrealistic view that every assessment task would be perfect. I remember stuffing the mid-course exams, and being SHATTERED at the end of it all. Overall, however, they didn't count for all that much. Thats not to say it's okay to stuff up, but if things just go bad in one thing, don't worry too much.

Anyway, I think the most important thing about this year is to try your best. It's worth it really, if you do well you'll never regret trying hard in the hsc. All your time at school till now in the eyes of the world means nothing. You could've duxed years 7-11, but it accounts for nothing after this. And if you try hard and still don't do great, you'd probably have done a lot worse if you didn't try, and at least you'll have a solid hsc to show employers/pursue uni. I really think 5 hours is excessive BTW. I would be really exhausted. Maybe really close to exams you could step it up a notch.

Anyway, good luck! I know its tiring but don't give up!

M@ster P

HSC
Mate just look at my motto, when times are tough stay strong and calm, I had a bad start to year 12 like i failed physics got like 40 percent was ranked 13/18 but then i worked hard and came 2nd in the next 3 exams, my rank for physics jumped to 4/18.

waza_

HSC
I gotta admit Year 12 was challenging but it was by far the best year of my schooling life, things change so much in Year 12 and it's great!

Just stay on top of your work and study every now and then to make sure you remember everything when it comes to exam time =D

hairspray

HSC
A few tips:
-be careful not to study too much and burn out when the actual hsc comes around
-listen in class
-when you do your hw, understand it and use it s a chance to study and actually understand and remember concepts (i made the mistake of doing hw just for the sake of it so i will look like a good student)
-BE TEACHER'S PET (being teacher's pet can get you some great assessment mark- though i would bet on this tip)
-studying is about quality, NOT quantity ie. if you are able to learn a few formulas/denifitions every now and again and actually memorise it then thats quality studying! Setting a goal of just studying 5 hours a night isnt going to get you far...
-don't let people make u feel bad for studying. It's ok to skip one "movies night" to work on an assessment
-Again, studying about QUALITY NOT QUANTITY. You can spend all your time reading a textbook and get no where. Memorise your syllabus and look at past papers
-Friday nights and saturdays are for having fun, trust me if you don't leave some time off to relax then you're going to burn out

These are the things I learnt after my own HSC experience. Good luck and get ready for one of the most stressful/fun/emotional year of your life=)

The Engineer

HSC
In hindsight, i found that one of the best things i did was keep my routine flexible, and because i get bored easily, mix it up a bit. make sure you do plenty of sports - healthy body, healthy mind (omg that sounds philosophical)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
5hrs a night???
If you do that you'll burn up so fast it won't be funny :/

Adding on to what people have already said, if you really aren't in the mood to work don't try and force yourself. Just get up, do something non-school related for a while and then try studying again :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)