titration... (1 Viewer)

terimaa

HSC
N/A
Hey guys so I've kind of confused myself with
the meanings of standard soln and primary standard

Is primary standard the powder/solid we use to make a standard solution ?

Or is standard soln the overall general term and primary standard the thing we titrate against an unknown sol?

Thanks

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
The primary standard is the pure solid that is used to make the standard solution.
The standard solution is the pure solution that is used to provide accurate measurements in titrations

terimaa

HSC
N/A
But apparently that's wrong according to my teacher..

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
But apparently that's wrong according to my teacher..
What Parvee said seems right.
The primary standard is a substance that is pure, of high molecular weight, doesn't absorb water from the atmosphere, and stable.
The standard solution is a solution of a very accurately known concentration.

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
I think Kimyia explains it correct with the primary standard. It generally involves a very stable salt that can completely dissolve but doesn't exactly change its weight when you are making it so not like NaOH which is unstable, however NaOH can be used as a standard solution, once it has been titrated against a known. The idea here is that not everything can be a primary standard but almost anything can be used as a standard solution once the solution has been titrated against a known

Wadethy2423

HSC
Kayima is right. I am a chemistry student and have had to do some titrations. the standard solution is known to the concentration and the other is what is being tested.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)