To Drop or not to drop? (1 Viewer)

jeremyy1420

HSC
To Drop or not to drop?,that is the question.

Hey all,I have never used theses forums before so thought i would give it a try.My question is i have just got my mark back from Mathematics 2 unit,and i got 40%.The assesment is worth 20% and the average for the class was around 55%.
Ive dropped down to 10units,and im not too good at maths(but pretty good at physics go figure).Am i better of going well in general or batteling it out in Mathematics.I think with some work and tuition i could get up to the average,but how does that compare to getting say 80% in general.

Help me do not know what to do,i want a good UAI,but if i drop down from Mathematics to general im closing doors for myself in regards to courses i could choose at uni.:bomb:

ssglain

HSC
As far as your UAI is concerned, it is perhaps better for you to be ranked 1st in General Maths than say bottom 30% in 2U. However, if you want to study a uni degree that lists 2U as assumed knowledge, you might be in a bit of trouble.

Foxodi

HSC
I'd say drop it, for pretty much the reasons that ssglain listed; But it depends really on what you believe you could achieve if you truely dedicate yourself to improving. Just writing summaries of 2U concepts and knowing how to apply them to textbook questions should allow you to achieve above the average.

Zozo6969

HSC
also, dont think that general is exactly an ezy subject. i do 3U maths, saw a general paper and just was fucked. did a practice m/c and got like 40%. its pretty hard

jeremyy1420

HSC
Yeh i think ill stay and try and get up to average which i can do i think and hope lol.dropping isnt worth it now i guess,because i wouldn't be top in general i would be up there but not top,and i would be shooting myself in the foot in regards to uni courses.
Thanks heaps guys,hopefully i get some decent marks.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Get a good Mathematics textbook (especially not Maths in Focus),
since 2001 the questions are more demanding than the old course as rote learning formulas and simply applying them isn't very effective.

After the HSC I realise it all depends on your problem solving skills.

St. Eve

HSC
Zozo6969 said:
also, dont think that general is exactly an ezy subject. i do 3U maths, saw a general paper and just was fucked. did a practice m/c and got like 40%. its pretty hard
It depends what you prefer, I do Ext 1 and I was helping a friend in general Maths. I found the questions to be a lot more wordy than in the maths I am used to. If you can adjust to that you should be fine as long as you don't go into the "General is year 8 maths" mode and really clock off.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Why not just continue with it and see how it goes?

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Forbidden. said:
Get a good Mathematics textbook (especially not Maths in Focus),
since 2001 the questions are more demanding than the old course as rote learning formulas and simply applying them isn't very effective.

After the HSC I realise it all depends on your problem solving skills.
What is wrong with the Maths in Forcus book?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
davidbarnes said:
What is wrong with the Maths in Forcus book?
Questions are mainly too simplistic and only teach you the basic way of approaching questions through the examples but there is no hints or methods that I know they can show you to approach the more difficult questions and challenge questions.

HSC
N/A
i recommend fitzpatrick 2u for 2u maths!!!

ITS AWESOME!!!!!

love it to death, almost as much as my 4u cambridge, and considerably more than the 2u and 3u versions of cambridge.

in the end, 2u is a pretty damn easy course, the application of the rote learnt formulas is not particularly demanding.

so u can keep going with it for the rest of this term, and decide whether to drop it in the hols

but then again, if u decide to drop it, it means uv wasted a lot of time, and thats bad.

ah shit, iv contradicted myself. :burn:

anyway my main point is fitzy is best for 2u and 3u; but cambridge for 4u!

loser101

HSC
get a fucken tutor, 2u maths is the fucken easiet subject in the world. i mean i could teach a year 7 student to do it. no shit its that easy.

even 3unit is piss ezy.

you just need a decent teacher to make you understand concepts.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
If 2U Math is too much for you, I'd suggest you drop to General. Maintain marks of 85+ in general math and you'll be fine. :)

Edit: If the course you want to do, lists 2U Math as assumed or recommended knowledge - you can always do a bridging course.

Last edited:

decypher

HSC
loser101 said:
get a fucken tutor, 2u maths is the fucken easiet subject in the world. i mean i could teach a year 7 student to do it. no shit its that easy.

even 3unit is piss ezy.

I'm sure I could also teach a year seven student grammar.

loser101

HSC
^^^ yeah just goes to show how easy 2u maths is then, if you think my grammer sux.

no i am being real, its easy, you just need someone to teach you properly.

if you know how to work out the area of a rectangle and understand it, then your capable of doing 2unit maths and achieving 90+ no probs. the questions in 2u maths are no harder than that.

if you cant handle maths then its not coz your dumb, its more than likely coz u got a shit teacher who dont give a fk. which there are alot of unofrtunatly.

this is great for those who have a good maths teacher coz its real easy marks, especially if you end up doing 3u or even 4u.

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
No, I actually agree a lot with what loser101 is saying. It's a truth which was repeated widely on this forum during mine, acmilan's and withoutaface's reign as mods here. I would hope it's a truth which continues to be touted.

2u level maths can be challenging, but students capable of 90+ in General Maths are capable of 90+ in 2U if they study and have a good teacher.

Various studies have shown it is the teacher, rather than the student, who is often at fault for learning difficulties in mathematics.

Further, anecdotal evidence would suggest to me that the most common reason for students dropping 2U for general is either a teacher they don't get on with, or a teacher whose teaching methods they can't identify with.

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Err, that's not to say I agree with this post:

loser101 said:

even 3unit is piss ezy.

It is abbrasive and rude and at points incorrect.

loser101

HSC
i hear lots of people say "oh i was good a maths when i was younger, but now i am crap"

which tells me they have the ability to do mathematics but somewhere along the line, they ran into a crap teacher and the wheels fell off for them and hated it ever since.

Also maths in not a cool subject so your a nerd if you do it.

sometimes peoples attitudes are their biggest obstacle, they think its hard, everyone tells them its hard, so it must be hard?

well i can tell you if you can get 90 in general maths, then you can get 90 in 2U maths, and you can get 90 in 3U maths and you can get 90 in 4unit maths (4U maths scaled of course, prob raw mark only 65-70)

Thats why doing 4unit maths is the easiest way to assure yourself of getting a UAI of 90+.

hunni.xx

HSC
i reckon u should just stay.... sum ppl who dropped to general averaged at 70s, mind u der wer ppl who also went up to da 90s... it wnt b as easy as u expect n der will b sum catching up to do which wud b difficult if u hav 2 mani assessments coming up or r lazy!!

also maths 2u scales pretti well. i had a 40% test thingy n jst passed...... mi overall skool assses mark was lyk 72 n it got scaled to 84!! jst make sure to do all ur h/w n dnt miss on ANY classes (sumfin which i failed to do lol), n do all da practise papers u can throughout. textbook questions r nothing lyk da exam 1s, n u will get a better understanding of hsc questions da earlier n more often u them.

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
i rekkon u should stick it out in 2u for awhile, it gets easier.

(holy crap loser101 did his hsc in 98)

EDIT: loser101 changed his hsc to N/A

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)