• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

To stay or not to stay: Howard (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
He wasn't a member of the Labor party itself and Nelson was meant to be rather involved in the ALP back down in Tasmania, if my memory serves.

Generator

HSC
N/A
A side issue, really, but it seems to impress those of an ideological (as opposed to pragmatic) bent. I think that he'll be up there seeking the leadership at some stage, but I don't think that he's an option for the immediate future.

Last edited:

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Costello would definetly be my prediction. He has waited in the wings far too long to let this slip him. Mind you, so have many other members.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Capitalist Pig said:
*waves a "Minchin for PM" flag.
On that note, does anyone have any idea as to when Hill may step down? It was looking likely late last year, but Hill's desire to remain and Costello's public support effectively scuttled any removal plan that the PM and Minchin may have been forming. At the moment he's saying that he will remain so long as the PM requires his assistance, so perhaps he's already resigned to his fate and as such may be on the outer sooner rather than later?

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
haha

Janet is rumoured to be a shrewd contributor behind the scenes, but I'm pretty sure she can find another property equally redeeming.
They used to live at Woolstoncraft. Nice lowernorthshore but not as nice as their current place.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Hmm for the stated reasons Costello is the most likely successor - however I would predict rapid challenge from both the more economically progressive (Turnbull, Hockey, etc) and the more socially conservative eg Abott.

Notes on these threats:

Abott - by his own admission to dry for the electorate
Turnbull - pre-political prominence could be a hinderence
Nelson - Amazing ability to rattle off stats
Downer - already failed as leader (?) will continue in Foreign Affairs.

I would predict:

PM: unable to guess
Treasurer: Turnbull
Foriegn Affairs: Downer
Health: Nelson
Workplace: Abott
Defence: No guess here either
Rural: National party hick

HSC
Do you really think Turnbull would be treasurer so quickly, especially under Costello who's publicly shamed him in the past over his alternative tax proposal? I personally think a leap from finance minister to treasurer would be more likely (the treasurer doesn't have to be in the house of reps do they?).

Last edited:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
theaustralian said:
A VIEW has emerged at the highest levels of the Howard Government that Peter Costello must accommodate the ambitions of backbench Renaissance man Malcolm Turnbull -- for both their sakes. This conclusion was given added piquancy last week, when Tony Abbott replied to a Turnbull question from parliament's nosebleed seats -- and accidentally called him "the Treasurer".

Nobody needed to be told it was an embarrassing moment for the real Treasurer. Just in case anyone did, Costello's shadow Wayne Swan ripped off a press release immediately after question time asking: "Does Tony Abbott know something we don't?"

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,17233096%5E7583,00.html

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Capitalist Pig said:
Do you really think Turnbull would be treasurer so quickly, especially under Costello who's publicly shamed him in the past over his alternative tax proposal? I personally think a leap from finance minister to treasurer would be more likely (the treasurer doesn't have to be in the house of reps do they?).
Turnbull is a clever man and IMO is quite likeable. But yes he hasn't been in for long. Perhaps John Howard is going to stay on for some time. I mean who would get tired of cucumber sandwiches and the wine that comes out cellar at Kirribilli House.

(I assume John is the cucumber sandwich type)

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
I don't know why, but I dislike Turnbull with a passion.

He deserves to stay on the back bench for some time longer.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
thorrnydevil said:
I don't know why, but I dislike Turnbull with a passion.

He deserves to stay on the back bench for some time longer.
He appeals to the 'intellectuals' which the mainstream hates.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
I agree, Turnbull is clever but he is also quite a good conversationalist/interview speaker and can articulate ideas well. He has also not been afraid to be critical of elements of government policy and has thrown a few fresh ideas into the arena -- I appreciate those things and I think that the public could certainly warm to him.

Some of what he says is just ideological blather about liberalism though. At times he sounds like a first-year uni student.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I think a Costello PM/Turnbull Treasurer team would be a possibility as the only way to accomodate their opposing ambitions. Costello will chuck a tanty if he doesn't make PM which would be damaging to the party. Turnbull will be bucking for cabinet and has a sizeable backing. Furthermore his intellectual appeal could help broaden the coalition support base.

Though we may also see Turnbull pop up in Health - personally I think Finance is to lowly a position for his immediate ambitions.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
I don't know much about Turnbull but everything I heard about him seems to be good. Can someone tell me more about him, other than what MoonlightSonata has stated? Cause I quite like him.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
His electorate is one of the wealthiest, if not the wealthiest, in the country.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
From Turnbull's site:
About Malcolm Turnbull

Malcolm grew up in Vaucluse and Double Bay in the 1950s and 1960s. His father, Bruce, was a single parent for much of Malcolm's childhood. They lived in a series of flats, mostly rented.

Malcolm was educated at Vaucluse Public School and Sydney Grammar School. Malcolm's high school education at Sydney Grammar was assisted by a scholarship.

Seventeen years ago Malcolm arranged for an additional means tested scholarship to be established at Sydney Grammar in memory of his late father.

Malcolm graduated from Sydney University with a BA LLB. He won a Rhodes Scholarship and completed a further law degree at Oxford.

During and after his studies at Sydney University, Malcolm worked as a journalist with the Bulletin, 2SM, TCN 9 and the London Sunday Times..

After a successful career in journalism Malcolm began practicing law in 1980. He quickly established a reputation as an effective advocate, most notably when he successfully defended former MI5 agent Peter Wright against the British Government, in the "Spycatcher" trial.

Malcolm left law for business in 1987 where he has since been responsible for the establishment and success of many Australian businesses. In particular he has been a determined supporter of Australian technology. He co-founded OzEmail in 1994. His software companies have won many awards for exporting Australian technology.

In 1997 Malcolm was elected to attend the Australian Constitutional Convention. He led the republican case in that Convention and in the subsequent referendum.

Malcolm has initiated numerous policy and research projects in areas such as education, indigenous affairs, home ownership affordability, balancing work and family responsibilities and national population and fertility policy. He has been Chair of the Menzies Research Centre since 2001.

Malcolm married Lucy Hughes in 1980. Their two children, Alex and Daisy attended local schools and are now completing University.

Lucy and Malcolm have been partners not only in marriage but also in their many businesses. Lucy was the first female Lord Mayor of Sydney, a position she held until early 2004.

Malcolm was elected as the Federal Member for Wentworth at the general election on 9 October, 2004.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
yeah i already read that thanks. i just prefer people's opinions on him. it's good to know what a website run by his lackies say about him and what his done but people opinions are mixed and varied and i like to hear those as well. his blogs are... boring but he makes his opinions known, such as the Latham Diaries affair. which was his most recent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)