• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

To stay or not to stay: Howard (1 Viewer)

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
I personally think he went into politics for personal gain (I know, most do). The fact that he joined the Liberals just so he could get the seat makes my blood boil. He should join Labor, oh, but he wouldn't have a seat then.

Generator

HSC
N/A
thorrnydevil said:
I personally think he went into politics for personal gain (I know, most do). The fact that he joined the Liberals just so he could get the seat makes my blood boil. He should join Labor, oh, but he wouldn't have a seat then.

Why would a liberal Liberal join the ALP?

Edit: He has always struck me as being more of a moderate, but whether that's necessarily the same as being a liberal Liberal... Relative to others in the party, i guess that he is a liberal no matter what, really.

Last edited:
HSC
thorrnydevil said:
Or because he's, like, right wing and all.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Capitalist Pig said:
Or because he's, like, right wing and all.
And because he opposed the Liberals in the Republican debate...in fact he led the movement against the Liberal party. :rolleyes:

HSC
thorrnydevil said:
And because he opposed the Liberals in the Republican debate...in fact he led the movement against the Liberal party. :rolleyes:
By that logic Rudd should be a member of the Libs, and Costello a Laborite. Monarchism and Republicanism don't really conform to either of the parties ideologies that strongly, so you're going to see a bit of variety.

Generator

HSC
N/A
thorrnydevil said:
Following on from what Calculon said, Senator Hill is also in favour of a Republic, yet as the Leader of the Government in the Senate I really don't see how he could be in favour of a movement against the Liberal party (well, he has crossed the floor quite a few times, but that's to be expected from a moderate/former moderate and whenever the outcome isn't in doubt).

In other words, one's position with respect to the monarchy wasn't/isn't necessarily determined by their political party of choice.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I don't think it was for personal gain, looking at his history.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
I don't think it was for personal gain, looking at his history.
Personal glory, I'd say, but not personal gain. However, I think that it's time that someone pointed out that personal glory (or gain for that matter) and the desire to contribute to society aren't always mutually exclusive.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
However, I think that it's time that someone pointed out that personal glory (or gain for that matter) and the desire to contribute to society aren't always mutually exclusive.
Well it's alot like people who donate to charity, help out with kids sports teams etc... Of course there are selfish reasons for them doing that, there is always a selfish reason for you doing everything. But some actions pay dividends to others, while others do not.

So what I mean to say when I say I don't think he's doing it for personal gain is, that I don't believe he would put his personal glory / gain above his job - I think he is the sort of person who feels they are gaining alot by fighting for what they believe in.

Last edited:

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
-I would like to see Howard stay on. He's beginning to get a Hindenburg feel about him- you know, the old, unmoveable statesman enjoying the undying support of the people. It would be dissapointing for him to end his era by just walking away, even if in glory. It would be more theatric for him to contend the next election as the result will represent the electorate's regard for Liberal Party ideology. I would hold Howard in higher esteem should he contend, becuase to me, he will become a man who persued his ideological calling until the very end, something I personally admire. To me, Howard would be then remembered as a man who contested an election he didn't have to, just to see whether the nation was accepting of the ideology he had presented them with. Either way, it will make for a thrilling story.

-Three groups on the Republic issue; 1. Monarchist Liberal 2. Republican Liberal 3. Republican Labor.

The monarchist Liberals will eventually be displaced by the Republicans, and that's when the fun will begin- when we see both parties vying for a Republic crafted either on Liberal Party terms or ALP terms.

-Malcolm Turnball has that warm, cuddly teddybear, Albert Speer quality that makes you want to like him regardless of any character flaws.

dani_123_5

HSC
N/A
i think Johnny H has done a good job leading our country. Australia is doing really well and he is doing a great job with all the terrorist shit. GO JOHNNY!

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
The preceeding two posts both touched me with their level of insight into politics, the sophistication of their mental faculties and their maturity.

K

katie_tully

Deary me. I don't know who will get it.

Crosses fingers it's not Costello.

K

katie_tully

dani_123_5 said:
i think Johnny H has done a good job leading our country. Australia is doing really well and he is doing a great job with all the terrorist shit. GO JOHNNY!
I hope you're somebodys joke account.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
katie_tully said:
I hope you're somebodys joke account.
Yeah...in so much danger from terrorists at Bathurst :rolleyes:

K

katie_tully

Anywho...

I'm quite disillusioned with the choice of future Liberal PMs. I honestly can't decide which is the best of a bad bunch.

I guess so long as one of the overly religious zealots don't get in, I'll be peachy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)