too many people aiming for 99.95? (1 Viewer)

mreditor16

HSC
agree or disagree?

how many of these people are being realistic.

e.g. i have seen at least 40 users who are 2014ers on BOS say at some point they are aiming for .95, whether in their sig or in a post.

that's more people than the actual number of people who get .95 .....

anyway, back to the point, do you agree or disagree? and what's your general thoughts??

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
who cares really and why do you care? aim what you want to aim for

mreditor16

HSC
lel no need to be so agressive. i was just asking what you guys think. you can't be telling me that you don't care about what other people do..... and also my aim is not determined by anyone else's aims or work ethic.

just leting you know

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah this in the end. I think this is a not so great topic and we can't really analyse anything.

Also, relax mreditor16, no one is going to steal your 99.90/99.95 :haha: (I'm kidding)

All jokes aside... But if you actually want discussion on this notion of ''too many people aiming for 99.95''.

I disagree with the general notion. There can never be too many people aiming for 99.95.

It's up for grabs so it's perfectly fine if everyone is fighting for it.

However, the next question is ''how many people within this group of people aiming for 99.95 are REALISTICALLY CAPABLE of achieving it?''

Let's just say a very very low percentage. It's human to overestimate your abilities (then there's also top achievers who severely underestimate their capabilities at the same time).

In short:

- Are too many people aiming for 99.95? There can never be too many people with dreams, goals, etc.
- How many people are being realistic (in terms of goals VS skills/talent/work ethic possessed)? Very low.

This is essentially the same topic as your previous thread, but with a slightly different twist.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
How do you know it's unrealistic?

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
My opinion is that they can aim for whatever they want and I/we have no say in it because it is their life/HSC. I was at a point in year 11 where I was aiming for 99+ but then realised I wasnt so capable as others so really I found it out on my own that gg and I am sure many other people will also

But don't let that stop you from .95 + what Ozko and RoT said

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Who cares what other people are aiming for. Just focus on your own studies and make sure you get 99.95.

I know lots of people who wanna do law or med, i don't care I just study so I can get in.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
There's no SET AMOUNT of people than can get it, though numbers are usually around 50 - 80 in the state with 99.95.

mreditor16

HSC
My opinion is that they can aim for whatever they want and I/we have no say in it because it is their life/HSC. I was at a point in year 11 where I was aiming for 99+ but then realised I wasnt so capable as others so really I found it out on my own that gg and I am sure many other people will also

But don't let that stop you from .95 + what Ozko and RoT said
hmm I agree. :D

Who cares what other people are aiming for. Just focus on your own studies and make sure you get 99.95.

I know lots of people who wanna do law or med, i don't care I just study so I can get in.
so am I not allowed to ponder about society and others in general? am I only allowed to think about myself and my own goals? jeez me asking about other people getting 99.95 just leads to all these assumptions that "I want 99.95 and no-one else can get". give me a break.

iStudent

HSC
closest star: 4.24 light years away

distance to moon: 384,400 km :p

but why is everyone putting soo much pressure on themselves? just relax bro's
*Aim for the stars, even if you miss you'll land among the moons. (doesn't make sense but whatever :p)
Srsly though, most people set high goals because it's motivation. While a lot of people aim for .95 I doubt many is really serious about it.

Edit: the sun (i.e our closest star is actually around 150 million km away) :p

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Don't we all aim to do our best which by nature means we want to be on top and hence we all theoretically aim for a 99.95, but we set goals that we know is due to limits or the underestimated goal is a limit to our means itself (depends though).

Coz I know I was aiming for getting as high as possible in the state even though I thought it was unlikely to get over 90 ATAR (and then magic happened and I somehow surpassed the limit by much more than I thought).

mreditor16

HSC
Don't we all aim to do our best which by nature means we want to be on top and hence we all theoretically aim for a 99.95, but we set goals that we know is due to limits or the underestimated goal is a limit to our means itself (depends though).

Coz I know I was aiming for getting as high as possible in the state even though I thought it was unlikely to get over 90 ATAR (and then magic happened and I somehow surpassed the limit by much more than I thought).
oh wow that was actually quite deep. what you say makes complete sense. maybe we should start differentiating more between the terms goal and aim, in regard to atar 'aims'. hmm....

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
oh wow that was actually quite deep. what you say makes complete sense. maybe we should start differentiating more between the terms goal and aim, in regard to atar 'aims'. hmm....
I get what you mean though in a sense that too many people might be "expecting" to have a crack at 99.95. No-one is given 99.95 straight away before the final HSC exams because there is still 50% to go really. Just goes to show that you have to keep on going until all exams are done otherwise you can end up paying the price and lose out a bit.

Of course you can aim lower (I really just wanted to get into my course, but I had no idea what was indicative of what so I gave the HSC my best shot so I would have no regrets even if I did miss out on my course), but really everyone will want to maximise their marks which ultimately is that one thing of wanting a 99.95.

mreditor16

HSC
I get what you mean though in a sense that too many people might be "expecting" to have a crack at 99.95. No-one is given 99.95 straight away before the final HSC exams because there is still 50% to go really. Just goes to show that you have to keep on going until all exams are done otherwise you can end up paying the price and lose out a bit.

Of course you can aim lower (I really just wanted to get into my course, but I had no idea what was indicative of what so I gave the HSC my best shot so I would have no regrets even if I did miss out on my course), but really everyone will want to maximise their marks which ultimately is that one thing of wanting a 99.95.
that's exactly what I was getting at :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)