Top 'speed' done and where? (2 Viewers)

becm88

HSC
um bout 140, in a mazda 121 at a back road outside of town. i was too scared to go ne faster i didnt want to wreck my car.

CieL

HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
I do have an overdrive button, which is usually set so its on... this would be the same thing? I also have like a button for 'extra power' which does feel like it gives it abit more, even with both these on doesnt want to redline :mad1:
Yeah, I used to have a Camry and that button was on the gear knob I believe.. It should be the same thing..

How many little buttons do you have =.=

electronically controlled transmision I believe it stands for... now Ive been lead to believe this makes the car less fuel efficient as its kinda like a sports mode... is this true? I would have thought an electronically controlled transmission would perform more smoothly etc?
You do realise that sports mode feeds more fuel to the car to give it more power right? In my 'rolla the throttle was screwed up and even when I don't press the accelerator at low speeds the car just keeps cruising at the same speeds whereas in my current car it keeps getting slower and slower when I don't press the accelerator..

Sure it'll perform more smoothly............ once the engine gets fed =]

Jiga

You do realise that sports mode feeds more fuel to the car to give it more power right?
Yeah I kno, I dont use it to much.... only when I need some more power in particular situations or when Im being stupid :). What I meant to say in that previous post is I just thought I read somewhere that it is more fuel efficient.... but like you said, I though that wasnt the case, it sounded weird cos yea more power = more fuel.

Autos are capable of redlining in gear, anyone who suggests otherwise obviously hasnt driven one, or is stupid
What do you mean by 'in gear', not like putting it in low range or whatever? Im sure that could redline it, but it also fucks up the transimission aye? With the car in drive, with ECT on, and overdrive on.... my car is like 500-1000 revs off redlining, it has never gone passed that point :mad1:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Mr Will said:
all the reasoning suggested for autos being slower so far are wrong...

the REAL reasons are as follows:
they are heavier
the have torque converters (the things that allow them to be stationary, and maintain engine revs without stalling) which are not 100% efficient (thus power loss), and also do not engage immediately from standstill (thus a delay in you putting your foot down at the lights and you moving)

As a general rule, you lose about 10% in an average car with an average automatic transmission. once you move into E-gear systems like the one on the murcielago, or the paddle shift systems on ferraris, its a different story.

Autos are capable of redlining in gear, anyone who suggests otherwise obviously hasnt driven one, or is stupid
yeah what he said! i knew it was heavier because of the planetary gearset but i didnt know by how much

the flooring it off the lights and it doesnt go straight away, thats what i was talking about, except i thought it had to do with how the auto changes gears, so that if u floor it it has to shift down or rev through the gears really quickly or something

i wanna see the vid aswell!

CieL

HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
What do you mean by 'in gear', not like putting it in low range or whatever?
I think he missed a word..

Think he mean capable of redlining in ANY gear.. well, that's my interpretation..

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Mr Will said:
As a general rule, you lose about 10% in an average car with an average automatic transmission. once you move into E-gear systems like the one on the murcielago, or the paddle shift systems on ferraris, its a different story.

Haha just wanted to add- saw the Focus tiptronic... it is horribly laggy and slow. Nothing like what I expected after seeing BMW tiptronic in the 330Ci.

As for the redlining... I've never seen an automatic (nor a tiptronic) go beyond the point where it hits the red though; and that's considering I've been in autos pushed way to their limits. If I recall correctly, even in tiptronic mode, the 330Ci, 540i, 750iL, etc... all will force an upshift rather than allow damage to the engine.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Schoolies_2004 said:
Yeah I kno, I dont use it to much.... only when I need some more power in particular situations or when Im being stupid :). What I meant to say in that previous post is I just thought I read somewhere that it is more fuel efficient.... but like you said, I though that wasnt the case, it sounded weird cos yea more power = more fuel.
Doesn't sport mode just force the transmission to hold the gears longer before shifting up (and thus uses more fuel because it doesn't shift to the highest gear)?

Jiga

Doesn't sport mode just force the transmission to hold the gears longer before shifting up (and thus uses more fuel because it doesn't shift to the highest gear)?
Yeah think so, I was driving around with it on normally today and it was holding the gears alot longer..... it was very noticable especailly when going like around roundabouts etc! But I think it also does give it about guts in acceleration.... or at least Ive been mistaken into thinking it does :D

CieL

HSC
seremify007 said:
As for the redlining... I've never seen an automatic (nor a tiptronic) go beyond the point where it hits the red though
I'll give you a ride in my car one day and show you. My car's redline is at 7000rpm but it allows itself (in my tried experience) to go up to 7200rpm when in tiptronic mode. If in auto, it shifts itself at 7000rpm like a charm.

As for the automatic shifting, my car only DOWNshifts.. like from 2nd gear to 1st gear when I slow down to 15km/hr.. but it has never upshifted on me..

seremify007 said:
It doesn't use more fuel because it doesn't shift to "the highest gear".. it uses more fuel because it doesn't shift to the most fuel efficient gear..

CieL

HSC
Yeah.. cos you make it sound like cars should be running on 4th/5th/7th gear all the time

CieL

HSC
My family share the car around.
Mon-Fri = me
Sat-Sun = parents
And my parents only drive auto.. so auto it is, I have no choice but I'm not complaining

Mr Will

HSC
CieL said:
Yeah, I used to have a Camry and that button was on the gear knob I believe.. It should be the same thing..

How many little buttons do you have =.=

You do realise that sports mode feeds more fuel to the car to give it more power right? In my 'rolla the throttle was screwed up and even when I don't press the accelerator at low speeds the car just keeps cruising at the same speeds whereas in my current car it keeps getting slower and slower when I don't press the accelerator..

Sure it'll perform more smoothly............ once the engine gets fed =]

arg dont talk shit like that! sports mode doesnt "feed more fuel' into the car. id modifies the shift points for the transmission. the ecu controls the amount of fuel going in based on throttle position. if you dont know what youre talking about, then shutup!

Mr Will

HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:

What do you mean by 'in gear', not like putting it in low range or whatever? Im sure that could redline it, but it also fucks up the transimission aye? With the car in drive, with ECT on, and overdrive on.... my car is like 500-1000 revs off redlining, it has never gone passed that point :mad1:

by "in gear" i mean when the torque converter is engaged so that power is being transmitted to the wheels.

Mr Will

HSC
seremify007 said:
Haha just wanted to add- saw the Focus tiptronic... it is horribly laggy and slow. Nothing like what I expected after seeing BMW tiptronic in the 330Ci.

As for the redlining... I've never seen an automatic (nor a tiptronic) go beyond the point where it hits the red though; and that's considering I've been in autos pushed way to their limits. If I recall correctly, even in tiptronic mode, the 330Ci, 540i, 750iL, etc... all will force an upshift rather than allow damage to the engine.

you dont know what youre on about. even old cars have fuel cutoffs, whether theyre auto or manual so that you cant push beyond a certain point. this is usually 250-500rpm beyond the redline. i didnt say theyd go beyond it, i said theyd get to it, which is exactly what they do

Jiga

arg dont talk shit like that! sports mode doesnt "feed more fuel' into the car. id modifies the shift points for the transmission. the ecu controls the amount of fuel going in based on throttle position. if you dont know what youre talking about, then shutup!
Mr Will, Ive been to numerus Toyota forums and the general consensus among those who posted in regards to ECU was that it DOES derease fuel efficiency! You would also think that because it modified the shift points, its making it go up to higher revs holding onto gears for longer? Well that means its feeding more fuel to the engine that would other wise be used? And you've also gotta consider that people put 'sports mode' on (It really isnt sports mode per se) to hit it hard so they are gonna be feeding more fuel into the engine in any case.

(Btw lol, I dont know what Im talking about...... but from going around numerous Toyota sites they seem to agree with me!)

Last edited by a moderator:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Mr Will said:
you dont know what youre on about. even old cars have fuel cutoffs, whether theyre auto or manual so that you cant push beyond a certain point. this is usually 250-500rpm beyond the redline. i didnt say theyd go beyond it, i said theyd get to it, which is exactly what they do
I'm sorry but I can't quite figure out what you are arguing?

I said I've never seen a tiptronic go beyond the redline... I'd be willing to bet I've been in performance tiptronic cars pushed to their limits significantly more than you have.

Other people have said that they have tiptronics which will allow people to push beyond the redline, I'm aware of this- my post merely said that in the BMWs (and Benzs for that matter) I've been in, I've never seen it happen.

Mr Will

HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
Mr Will, Ive been to numerus Toyota forums and the general consensus among those who posted in regards to ECU was that it DOES derease fuel efficiency! You would also think that because it modified the shift points, its making it go up to higher revs holding onto gears for longer? Well that means its feeding more fuel to the engine that would other wise be used? And you've also gotta consider that people put 'sports mode' on (It really isnt sports mode per se) to hit it hard so they are gonna be feeding more fuel into the engine in any case.

(Btw lol, I dont know what Im talking about...... but from going around numerous Toyota sites they seem to agree with me!)

youd be correct in saying that as a result of going into sports mode, it is POSSIBLE that more fuel will be injected, however it is not a case of this always being so.
as i explained before, the amount of fuel being injected is determined by throttle pressure (so even if youre not in sports mode, and you floor it, more fuel will end up being injected into either the combustion chamber or the intake manifold, depending on what sort of car you have), and youll go faster.
fuel effciency relates much more to throttle pressure than it does to how high you rev in each gear. revving higher does not necessarily mean using more fuel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)