Torch Relay Chaos (2 Viewers)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Maybe so, but Dumsum wasn't simply advocating not protesting, he seems to have an illogical hatred for the idea of protesting. Not supporting it? Fine. Hatred against it? Silly.

michael1990 said:
Agreed, there are better avenues to use.
And?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
hehe. join the club. :p

I was thinking of going to Canberra too. Might be a rather fun experience, and I generally agree that China has a poor human rights record and I'd like to be alongside these global protests (even if they don't "do" anything).

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Maybe so, but Dumsum wasn't simply advocating not protesting, he seems to have an illogical hatred for the idea of protesting. Not supporting it? Fine. Hatred against it? Silly.

And?
You're right, my "hatred" is illogical. But to me it just seems like an excuse to have a whinge, and they look like tards. Also I'm skeptical of the effectiveness of protesting particularly in this era.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Skepticism is ok, but condemnation doesn't seem terribly fair, given that a small demonstration in Canberra won't really inconvinience anyone.

And I very much doubt that the people protesting are doing so just to have a whinge. From what I've seen and heard, the great majority (ie 99%) seem to know a fair bit about Tibet and Chinese human rights abuses...

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
_dhj_ said:
No. A boycott would unite Chinese against the evil western media that deprived them of the Olympics. Any optimistic belief in the West as the proponent of liberty, fairness or progress would be shattered. They would be willing to forgo more freedoms and back their government in a new Cold War.
Even though I doubt the validity of that claim you just made, I was actually saying I think the Olympics going ahead could do some good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)