• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Torts Exam 2005 (1 Viewer)

Jonathan A

HSC
= Jennifer = said:
does anyone know if we have to reference for the essay question? :confused:

I thought no, but in my exam today for Crime Prevention, even though we didn't have to reference, I found it useful just in case they would pose a question in a certain way, I'd give them an answer but not the one they were looking for, then my referencing is back-up for why I have put that answer there. Also gives weight and sometimes comes naturally.

L

LaraB

= Jennifer = said:
does anyone know if we have to reference for the essay question? :confused:
i assumed we did since a lot of the evaluating torts is in the articles we read and susan kept saying how important it was to familiarise yourself with them.

plus if you dont your arguments are totally just opinion so logically, being law and since they're always on about supporting your arguments i assumed we were meant to :)

Angel45

HSC
Hey,

I didn't think like a 3hr exam - with lots of essays - was that odd.. but it would seem, lots of ppl's uni's exams r like sometimes purely m/c or one friend at a uni, like knew the q's b4 hand. Guess it depends on the subject and the uni!

Last edited:

Jonathan A

HSC
Angel45 said:
Hey,

I didn't think like a 3hr exam - with lots of essays - was that odd.. but it would seem, lots of ppl's uni's exams r like sometimes purely m/c or one friend at a uni, like knew the q's b4 hand. Guess it depends on the subject and the uni!

I think it is better we don't have M/C questions.

Last year in Psychology, we had an exam with 120 Multiple Choice Questions.

Angel45

HSC
Yeah, if the first law m/c was anything to go by... yuck!

I prefer the chance to explain myself.

L

LaraB

Angel45 said:
Hey,

hmm...well...i only know a few people with m/c stuff in their tests...

most people io'v talked to have all essays or short answer and essays or case study and essays or something like that

its not too bad.. my business one's have been 3 essays in 3 hrs and i had time left over and i was writing slow to make sure it was legible lol so i dont think it'll be too bad

i think m/c in law is just silly coz there is hardly ever like.. a 'right and wrong' answer... i mean, its kinda hard to ask difficult m c questinos about rule of law n stuff.. anmd even if they did manage too, it dioesnt really prove that we've learnt anything and that we understand concepts and can argue well

m/c are only really fab for lucky dopey ppl who guess their way thru lol... people who know their stuff tend to do not as well as usual coz they question the answers too much:p

Jonathan A

HSC
Angel45 said:
Yeah, if the first law m/c was anything to go by... yuck!

I prefer the chance to explain myself.
Indeed. If they ever give back our tests, I will be researching the answers!

Jonathan A

HSC
LaraB said:
hmm...well...i only know a few people with m/c stuff in their tests...

most people io'v talked to have all essays or short answer and essays or case study and essays or something like that

its not too bad.. my business one's have been 3 essays in 3 hrs and i had time left over and i was writing slow to make sure it was legible lol so i dont think it'll be too bad

i think m/c in law is just silly coz there is hardly ever like.. a 'right and wrong' answer... i mean, its kinda hard to ask difficult m c questinos about rule of law n stuff.. anmd even if they did manage too, it dioesnt really prove that we've learnt anything and that we understand concepts and can argue well

m/c are only really fab for lucky dopey ppl who guess their way thru lol... people who know their stuff tend to do not as well as usual coz they question the answers too much:p

I had a true/false exam last year with short answer and essay questions. The questions weren't that bad.

Jonathan A

HSC
Now to drive out torts for you all....

Nervous Shock:

the courts have original defined three control tests:

-Normal Fortitude of Plaintiff
-Sudden Sensory Perception
-The 'distressing' phenomenom test

All were rejected in as pre-conditions in Tame & Annetts. But the CLA brings back the requirements. Rather than solcing problems, it seem we will be writing up a lecture on the avenues the court would take. Any thoughts?

L

LaraB

Jonathan A said:
Now to drive out torts for you all....

Nervous Shock:

the courts have original defined three control tests:

-Normal Fortitude of Plaintiff
-Sudden Sensory Perception
-The 'distressing' phenomenom test

All were rejected in as pre-conditions in Tame & Annetts. But the CLA brings back the requirements. Rather than solcing problems, it seem we will be writing up a lecture on the avenues the court would take. Any thoughts?
yeah it seems like that's what a lot of what we're doing is...

just applying laws ratehr than discerning the most appropriate and saying why the laws apply for the proble...

and the essay seems like its basicdally regurgitating the 1st few ch's of Luntz and the shit happens article and the stuff in the reader...

im assuming we'll be asked about alternative resolution such as no fault systems since that's really all we talked about apart from minorities being disadvantaged...

L

LaraB

Jonathan A said:
I had a true/false exam last year with short answer and essay questions. The questions weren't that bad.
true false are way easier but i reckon.. coz you know one is right and one is wrong, whereas m/c is often the 'most correct' and often more than 1 answer is actually correct and its one silly tiny point that makes it the 'most' correct one...

raven1

HSC
Hi ppl, how are u going to break down ur 1 page A4 notes and what headings are you using for:

Question 1 =
Question 2=

Please help

L

LaraB

raven1 said:
Hi ppl, how are u going to break down ur 1 page A4 notes and what headings are you using for:

Question 1 =
Question 2=

Please help
q1 im just writing a couple of quotes so my answer will look like it has some intelligent basis

for the problem, just gonna write the name of each area eg duty, breach, damages, defence, vicarious liability etc.. write th 3 or 4 steps in determining it and the case that matches and hope i remember what each entailed:)

raven1

HSC
thanks LaraB,

apart from things like duty, breach, damages, defence, vicarious liability. is there anything else?

thanks again,

L

LaraB

raven1 said:
thanks LaraB,

apart from things like duty, breach, damages, defence, vicarious liability. is there anything else?

thanks again,
um... particularly neg situations - rescuers, occupiers, negligent misstatements, nervous shock, pure economic loss, Non-delegable duty of care and concurrent liability... i think that;s it:)

Angel45

HSC
hey,

Just a q. does any1 have a page 122 of the 'shit happens' article?? or does no1 have it... coz mine jumps from 121-123. :S.

My pdf. version doesn't work so I can't check.

Thanks.

Demandred

HSC
Guys, do we write in full citation and than add abreviated form in brackets? Like, Re Woolley [2004] HCA 49 ("Sheep's case").

Can we just write something like Perre v Apand?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)