Totalitarianism, Total War, Racial Policies (1 Viewer)

silverpen

HSC
I am very confused about these aspects ^^^

I have seen questions like
- to what extent was totalitarianism in germany..
- the affect of total war in germany..
- account for the impact of racial policies in germany..

I have no idea what to write about for these topics!

Please help!

Particularly for total war and Racial Policies......what would I write??

Thanks!

ajk92

HSC
woah i swear total war isnt covered in the german national study? cos they aren't at war during that time?

racial policies you have to look at the nuremburg laws of 1935....touch base with the concept of anti-semitism in itself, like hitlers own anti-semitism.......also talk about kristallnacht....sending jews to concentration camps...how jews were banned from education....removed from the civil service...jewish literature destroyed.....issue with the jew flats (probably only know about that if you did speer).....and dont limit it just to the treatment of jews, throw in stuff about the slavs, as well as minority groups.

and dont fret about totalitarianism it was last years question

jellybelly59

HSC
-glecshaltung : the idea of coordination , the control of gestapo, SS and SA, complete control of political and economic systems e.g. Labour force and the abolition of worker's day, also control on cultural level including the Reich chamber of culture and the indoctrination of values from the judiciary and education, also talk about the nazi youth.
-seems very similar to totalitarianism
-volksgemeinschaft the racial community, reich citzenship act, law for the protection and the honour of the civil service, jewish children were no longer allowed at schools under a different nuremberg law. even from weimar there was a general shift towards racial inequality where jews were labelled as november criminals, hitler's rise to power in 33 represented a shift to radical ideologies, kristallnacht and book burning

silverpen

HSC
Hm maybe I saw it in a ww1 question and got mixed up

Totalitarianism could be asked again though right....

Thanks heaps for the help!!

Are you memorising essays or just key points about each thing?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If you are looking at papers pre-2006 remember that any World War Two questions are irrelevant to the German national study as that section has been removed and put into its own section of Conflict in Europe.

Evertonian

HSC
If they do ask for totalitarianism again, which i doubt youll have to talk about

Reasons For

Biographical Method (school of thought)
Intentionalist (school of thought)
Gleichschaltung
No other political Parties

Reasons Against

structuralist school of thought
No control over the economy
Religion - signing of the concordat with the Vatican

jellybelly59

HSC
If they do ask for totalitarianism again, which i doubt youll have to talk about

Reasons For

Gleichschaltung

Reasons Against

hmmm im confused about that... the signing of the concordat effectively neutralised any threat against the totalitarian state and even the concordat was effectively breached with the the government altering sections of the testament to erase jews and place hitler as a messiah of the catholic church. Also, people were getting married in the 'nazi methodology' so im pretty sure religion was in complete control by the Nazis.

Evertonian

HSC
Your arguing the breach of the concordat, i'm talking about the initial affect of the concordat.
It guaranteed the rights of the roman catholic church in Germany but the church culd not engage in political activity. Although the Catholic Centre Party had been dissolved it still allowed for some religious expression in Germany.

But then, you can argue your point.

:)

absorber

HSC

Reasons For

Gleichschaltung

Reasons Against

@OP: Don't get confused by all the terms in this totalitarian essay plan, talk about elements of German society etc:
-women
-education
-laws
-anti-semitism
-terror and repression
-propaganda
-army (night of the long knives)
-religion

Think about it more simply, look up a definition of totalitarianism to use at start of essay, then evaluate how each area was either totalitarian in achievement or not

And religion was relatively a failure. Hitler left it for until after the war. The catholic church was an obstacle he avoided, but some of its ministers still spoke out against him. The 'Reich church' he founded splintered, and after a whole lota problems he basically said 'we can deal with this later'

Last edited:

Evertonian

HSC
@OP: Don't get confused by all the terms in this totalitarian essay plan, talk about elements of German society etc:
-women
-education
-laws
-anti-semitism
-terror and repression
-propaganda
-army (night of the long knives)
-religion

Think about it more simply, look up a definition of totalitarianism to use at start of essay, then evaluate how each area was either totalitarian in achievement or not

And religion was relatively a failure. Hitler left it for until after the war. The catholic church was an obstacle he avoided, but some of its ministers still spoke out against him. The 'Reich church' he founded splintered, and after a whole lota problems he basically said 'we can deal with this later'
Are you at all feeling stressed about the exams ahead...

ajk92

HSC
im 99% sure we will not get totalitarianism on tuesday.

HSC
isn't the head of the modern history board insane and he done that type of thing before, asking the same question 2 years in a row

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
isn't the head of the modern history board insane and he done that type of thing before, asking the same question 2 years in a row
Personally I wouldn't describe the Senior Examiner insane but he might like to see similar questions asked in consecutive years because he knows (being a teacher himself) that kids like to use the excuse - 'that was on last year's exam so it won't be on this year's' - to not study that section of the course.

The question wouldn't be word for word but it could ask it in a different way.

ajk92

HSC
Personally I wouldn't describe the Senior Examiner insane but he might like to see similar questions asked in consecutive years because he knows (being a teacher himself) that kids like to use the excuse - 'that was on last year's exam so it won't be on this year's' - to not study that section of the course.

The question wouldn't be word for word but it could ask it in a different way.
Yeah if they do ask it it'll probably be worded "how did the nazis consolidate their power in 1933-34"....because that's how they set up the totalitarian state

absorber

HSC
No, but you do modern, legal, eco.

thats why i said are you stressed.
Ahk. Lol tbh I am a bit, yeah. I got modern legal eco ehist back to back =.=. Least it ends on friday. AND it's my birthday on friday :). Just can't wait til the whole thing is over though

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
my modern teacher stressed that there have been questions asked twice in a row so cover everything! however in national studies you get a choice of what questions you do so if it does come up and u blank you could always choose the other question which will hopefully be a little nicer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)