• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Totally Confused!! (1 Viewer)

illmatic

NaS
HSC
ok here's the thing. im doing my hsc THIS year.

im doing 12 units:

4 units english, 3 units history, 2 maths adv, 2 economics, 2 modern history and 1 religion..

all this time i was thinking i have 2 units to "spare" seeing as only the best 10 units count. ive realised i dont because only my 2 best units of english count, thus only half of my 4 units of english will count.

that means i have nothing really to "spare"..

AM I RIGHT OR WRONG?? COULD SOMEONE EXPLAIN????

thanks

SprewellZ

No.

Ok, here we go.

You do say Eng Advanced. This WILL Count NO MATTER how you perform (Thats 2 Units)

You do Eng Ext 1. If you do well in this, it will count. (Now thats 3 Units)

If you also do well in Eng Ext 2, it will count. (Thast 4 Units)

From here on, out of your remaining 8 units, only the best 6 will count.

Basically, 2Unit English ALWAYS counts, as for your other units of English, they will count depending upon how you go in your other subjects.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Your best 10 units, including your 2 best units of English will count. Suppose you completely bomb out in advanced, only EE1 and EE2 will count, and vice versa, or if you go well in all four units they will all count.

Porcia

HSC
SprewellZ said:
No.

Ok, here we go.

You do say Eng Advanced. This WILL Count NO MATTER how you perform (Thats 2 Units)

You do Eng Ext 1. If you do well in this, it will count. (Now thats 3 Units)

If you also do well in Eng Ext 2, it will count. (Thast 4 Units)

From here on, out of your remaining 8 units, only the best 6 will count.

Basically, 2Unit English ALWAYS counts, as for your other units of English, they will count depending upon how you go in your other subjects.
you're wrong. Dead wrong.

illmatic

NaS
HSC
i dont understand that since "only your 2 best units of english count", yet i could still have all 4 units count...

ok so if i do good in all 4 units, i.e. those 4 units are amongst my best, will they ALL be counted, or will only 2 units of it be counted [the 2 units being the better ones]??

deano059

HSC
in order to calculate a UAI, the compulsory english, ie the 2 units are counted ..being ur adv eng or standard eng.

then the best of ur remaining units are used to calc ur UAI, but only the best 8 units of them. should your ext eng be in these best group, then they too will be counted

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
deano059 said:
in order to calculate a UAI, the compulsory english, ie the 2 units are counted ..being ur adv eng or standard eng.

then the best of ur remaining units are used to calc ur UAI, but only the best 8 units of them. should your ext eng be in these best group, then they too will be counted
Wrong .

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
i think you should ask the subject co-ordinator at school
she will know the answers for you if your still confused
or even the english co-ordinator

deano059

HSC
joe_m_2000 said:
i think you should ask the subject co-ordinator at school
she will know the answers for you if your still confused
or even the english co-ordinator
im as good as an eng co ord......u know that

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
deano059 said:
close your mouth
Wrong bitch.
"Rule 2 - Calculation of the UAI

Your UAI is based on the aggregate of scaled marks in 10 units of UAI courses comprising:

-your best two units of English; and
-your best eight units from the remaining units, subject to the provision that no more than two units of Category B courses be included."
(http://www.uac.edu.au/admin/uai.htm)

Your best two units of English. This means that two units of English must count, be they two units of adv/std, one unit of an extension English and one unit of adv/std, or two units of extension English. Then if any of your remaining units of English are included among the best eight units from those subjects remaining, then they will also count.

See also:

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
deano059 said:
im as good as an eng co ord......u know that
Kids these days need to listen to their elders.
That or take a knife and plunge it down your spine

Grandor

Aspiring Army Officer
HSC
withoutaface said:
Wrong bitch.
"Rule 2 - Calculation of the UAI

Your UAI is based on the aggregate of scaled marks in 10 units of UAI courses comprising:

-your best two units of English; and
-your best eight units from the remaining units, subject to the provision that no more than two units of Category B courses be included."
(http://www.uac.edu.au/admin/uai.htm)

Your best two units of English. This means that two units of English must count, be they two units of adv/std, one unit of an extension English and one unit of adv/std, or two units of extension English. Then if any of your remaining units of English are included among the best eight units from those subjects remaining, then they will also count.

See also:
where is that uai calculator?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
yeah the whole "best 2 units of english" thing sounds pretty straightforward, but what if you have an odd number of units , say, 11? suppose that you have 10 units made up from regular 2 unit courses, and one extension course to make the 11. Even if you do really well in the extension course, would it count? because your uai is made up of 10 units, and it really wouldnt be logical to use 1 unit from a 2 unit course to make up the tenth unit or watever... does anyone know what i mean? like, say you were doing:

Eng.Adv - 2unit
Maths - 2 unit
geography - 2 unit
drama - 2 unit
art - 2 unit
extension maths - 1 unit.

this makes 11 units overall. Like someone said before, you would have to count Adv. english, so thats 2 uai units done. but what if your best subject was ext.math? coz if you counted that then thats 3 uai units. so u need 7 more. And maths, geo, drama n art add up to 8 units, meaning that to do the uai you would have to use like "half" a course? how would that work? *scratches head in puzzlement*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)