Transfer Q's (1 Viewer)

Markazzo

HSC
Here's my transfer question:

I plan on applying for a mid year transfer from B Psych to B Arts at Sydney, and I will have to apply for a full fee paying place as no HECS places are left. I am told there is not much complication here.

What I'm worried about is having to stay on a full fee paying place for longer than a semester. Everyone I talked to at Sydney Uni say that it may actually be difficult to change from full feepaying back to HECS, and this is a huge concern for me. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Markazzo said:
What I'm worried about is having to stay on a full fee paying place for longer than a semester. Everyone I talked to at Sydney Uni say that it may actually be difficult to change from full feepaying back to HECS, and this is a huge concern for me. Can anyone shed any light on this?
whether you are a full-fee student or a HECS student does not affect your application to transfer into a HECS place. it's based on academic merit.

best bets would be to ask the Faculty.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Forgive me for being lazy and not pre-reading all the background information here.

But say I'm doing Science/Ed at UNSW, and wish to transfer to Science at UWS (with B.Ed as a postgrad course), and it isn't offered as a mid year admission on the UAC website (I assume it's full) - must I wait until the end of the year to transfer into that course? Is there another, quicker, easier way?

fantaztik2006

HSC
N/A
how come unsw law faculty rkn u cant have studied >1year fulltime to apply for a transfer to unsw combined law??

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
and it isn't offered as a mid year admission on the UAC website (I assume it's full) - must I wait until the end of the year to transfer into that course? Is there another, quicker, easier way?
nupe. not unless UWS have some unusual mid-semester entry schemes of which i'm not aware. enquire with their Science Faculty to make sure.
fantaztik2006 said:
how come unsw law faculty rkn u cant have studied >1year fulltime to apply for a transfer to unsw combined law??
it's a matter of policy, i guess. their reasoning is probably this:-

- you spend more than 1 year doing a full-time non-law degree.

- since you cannot transfer into undergraduate law mid-year, you have to wait until the end of the 2nd year of your non-law degree to transfer.

- since most single non-law degrees are only 3 years long, it will not make much of a difference whether you difference whether you start law in your 3rd year of tertiary education (if you successfully transfer after the 2nd year of non-law) or you finish off your non-law degree and begin graduate law in your 4th year of tertiary education.

- it also might have something to do with the difference in revenue that the Faculty gets if it takes on an undergraduate student, as compared to a graduate law student, but i cannot comment because i don't know.

the simple fact is, you cannot transfer into undergraduate combined law if you have completed more than one full year of tertiary studies.

sumguy

HSC
hi everyone, im starting on my bachelor of business (International Business) at UWS for spring semester, i was thinking of transferring to UTS after one semester of work which includes 4 units which relates to the major im planning to do at UTS also im considering changing my major to bachelor of business (marketing & management) if i get accepted into UTS in 2007. BTW i have also completed a AQF diploma of business. also do we have to do a minimum of 4 units to be considered for UTS? or could we just do 3 units to also to be considered?
thanks everyone for your replies
Best regards.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Now I'm perfectly happy where I am, but what do you guys think of the fact that difficulty of the course you're transferring from is not taken into account? I think it's unfair but then again I guess if you were really determined to transfer into whatever, you would do well enough regardless of the previous degree you were in.

According to the SCU table, my supposed GPA for this semester would be a GPA of 5 but doing pharmacy which had a cutoff of 95.95 last year, I just don't think a Credit average in pharmacy equates to a supposed rank of 88--I would've thought it was much higher than that. Just a thought--what are your opinions on this?

dYnaMiC7

HSC
Hey guys, I was just wondering about transfers - If you need a Credit average, how could you calculate that average? What would 2 C's and 2 P's be? OR perhaps 1 D, 1 C and 2 P's.

leeam

HSC
dYnaMiC7 said:
Hey guys, I was just wondering about transfers - If you need a Credit average, how could you calculate that average? What would 2 C's and 2 P's be? OR perhaps 1 D, 1 C and 2 P's.

2 Cs and 2 Ps would be a Pass average (With HD=7, D=6, C=5 and P=4, so, 5+5+4+4/4,=4.5

1 D, 1 C and 2 Ps=4.75=pass again.

So if i were you id be trying to get at least Ds next semester to compensate

Manan

HSC
Just a quick question...

If I want to transfer from International Studies to International Studies and Law through UAC, would I still get credit for the one year of International Studies courses that I've completed?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Manan said:
Just a quick question...

If I want to transfer from International Studies to International Studies and Law through UAC, would I still get credit for the one year of International Studies courses that I've completed?
Of course you will.

karoooh

HSC
I was wondering, if I didn't make it into Arts/Commerce or Arts/Economics at UNSW, and decided to settle for Arts, first year, would they allow me to transfer into either one in 2nd year, if I end up with a HD average for 1st year in Arts?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
karoooh said:
I was wondering, if I didn't make it into Arts/Commerce or Arts/Economics at UNSW, and decided to settle for Arts, first year, would they allow me to transfer into either one in 2nd year, if I end up with a HD average for 1st year in Arts?
they take into account your uai as well
they split it 50/50....take into account your uai as well as first year tertiary results
with a HD average you can almost transfer into anything
good luck

karoooh

HSC
azn_gangsta81 said:
they take into account your uai as well
they split it 50/50....take into account your uai as well as first year tertiary results
with a HD average you can almost transfer into anything
good luck
So it wouldn't have mattered if I only did an Arts degree first year?

Because I've been told by some people that I'd have a better chance of getting into those courses 2nd year, if I did it elsewhere first, and then transfer to UNSW, while others have said what you have. :(

AntiJap

HSC
N/A
Do you have to pay the course fees for both courses you do in uni if you transfer? e.g. if you go from Arts to Pharmacy do you have to pay the HECS for arts AND for pharmacy?

vegemite

HSC
So I am doing a straight BA this year at Usyd but want to transfer to BA (Informatics). I know I have to go through UAC but at what point are my credit points for this year taken into account. They do go towards the BA major of the Informatics course don't they?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
karoooh said:
So it wouldn't have mattered if I only did an Arts degree first year?

Because I've been told by some people that I'd have a better chance of getting into those courses 2nd year, if I did it elsewhere first, and then transfer to UNSW, while others have said what you have. :(
It doesn't really matter what kind of degree you transfer from, it could be from Creative Writing to Medical Science and it would still just be your grades and your UAI which determines the transfer. If you do a degree which has similar subjects to what is covered in what you are transferring into then the university will probably give you credit or 'skip' you for those subjects. So its no great shakes as long as you get the grades and do the kind of subjects you'd originally planned to do anyway.

Super Nanny said:
Is GPA *international* (applying accross all institutions, like the UAI), or *contained* within each institution?
Um, if you wanna call it that I guess. Its the common method of measuring your performance and is used at and between most unis.

AntiJap said:
Do you have to pay the course fees for both courses you do in uni if you transfer? e.g. if you go from Arts to Pharmacy do you have to pay the HECS for arts AND for pharmacy?
You pay for the subjects you do, if you do Arts subjects for a year for the purpose of transferring to Pharmacy then of course you still need to pay for those subjects.

leeam

HSC
hey guys

I'm looking to transfer from an Arts degree to an Education degree. My ENTER (like UAI) was 85, last year, and in 1st semester I got a GPA of 6.25 (2 HDs, 1 D and 1 C). Do you think I have a chance?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)