transferring between unis (1 Viewer)

MoNNiE

HSC
Merethrond said:
I just checked the UAC site then and the UAC 2005 admissions are now open:)! Now all I have to do is waste $15 on the UAC 2005 Guide:mad:.
just swipe one from school.. :D

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Minai said:
Wait!
You can Apply-by-web, which saves you buying the UAC guide
Yeah, I know but the only problem is that I have no idea about what the course codes are. Or would they be the same as last year:confused:?

MoNNiE said:
just swipe one from school.. :D
I would if I knew what day they were handing them out, and if had my old school uniform:p.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
The course codes etc are all on the UAC site.

if you're gonna swipe one from school, you'll need to apply by web anyway, since you cant use the Year 12 edition, you need the one with the application form (the one in newsagents)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
minai, if i transfer to UNSW, am i assessed on the same criteria as those in straight Com hoping to transfer into ComLaw?

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Minai said:
The course codes etc are all on the UAC site.
Thanks, I will have a look for those:).

Minai said:
if you're gonna swipe one from school, you'll need to apply by web anyway, since you cant use the Year 12 edition, you need the one with the application form (the one in newsagents)
Last year I applied on the phone but I think I will apply by web if they have the course codes on the UAC website:).

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Frigid said:
minai, if i transfer to UNSW, am i assessed on the same criteria as those in straight Com hoping to transfer into ComLaw?
yes, and you're assessed on everyone from Year 12 trying to get into Law as well

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Minai said:
yes, and you're assessed on everyone from Year 12 trying to get into Law as well
how so? a UAI and a NRSL rank (average of UAI and GPA) can't be directly compared. it would be impossible to hope to get a NRSL > 99.35.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Frigid said:

how so? a UAI and a NRSL rank (average of UAI and GPA) can't be directly compared. it would be impossible to hope to get a NRSL > 99.35.
From what I have read on this forum I think what happens is that UAC basically separates applicants into two groups (NRSL and RSL). If you are a NRSL you need to get over the NRSL cut-off (so they must restrict the amount of NRSL they allow to transfer or something:confused:) and if you are a RSL then it works like normal. Actually, I don't really know:confused::eek:.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
The university "inspects" the quality of candidature in the seperated RSL and NRSL applicant pools. Obviously they'll have general quotas for their courses but if they want to artificially raise the cutoff for a certain degree (eg BSc) they'll admit less RSL applicants and more NRSLs.

For Law, I don't think this is so common/happens to so great an extent (since the quality of candidature is always high for the amount of applicants vs places offered) but it still occurs.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I am up to the part where you have to state the tertiary studies that you have been enrolled in and one of the questions asks for "full time equivalence for study". Should I put 0.50 years, because that is how much I have completed so far, or should I put 1.00 year because that is how much I would have completed by the end of the year:confused:?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
What is the exact wording of the question? If it asks for the amount of full time study you've completed, say 0. If it says enrolled then 1.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Lexicographer said:
What is the exact wording of the question? If it asks for the amount of full time study you've completed, say 0. If it says enrolled then 1.
Up the top of the page it says:

Complete this page if you have ever been, or are currently enrolled in any tertiary or postsecondary studies in Australia.
That is all the relevant text on the page. Then one of the questions is just "Full time equivalence for study". I don't know what to put:confused:.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
uh i'm not entirely sure if i remember correctly, but i put 1 year of completed study even though i was still in first year and hadn't finished the 2nd semester. i figure by the time they calculate and process everything, i would of completed 1 full year of full time study.

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
I don't get it? All you should really have to do is put the degree you're currently enrolled in, the start year and how long you've been studying it (as I recall).

I'd do it rather soon as well. I recall applying for a transfer way too late and having to pay a $99 late fee on top of the $35 application fee.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
jlh said:
uh i'm not entirely sure if i remember correctly, but i put 1 year of completed study even though i was still in first year and hadn't finished the 2nd semester. i figure by the time they calculate and process everything, i would of completed 1 full year of full time study.
That is what I am thinking too. I think I will put down one year:).

christ_ine said:
I don't get it? All you should really have to do is put the degree you're currently enrolled in, the start year and how long you've been studying it (as I recall).
You have to do that plus a few things. That is just another way of putting the question; "how long you've been studying":).

christ_ine said:
I'd do it rather soon as well. I recall applying for a transfer way too late and having to pay a $99 late fee on top of the $35 application fee.
Late fees don't apply until after 30 September:).

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Merethrond: Yes, put down 1 full year - because thats the amount you will have completed by the end of the year (I did the same last year)

Frigid: NRSL cutoffs are different to the UAI ones remember? The UNSW law NRSL cutoff has been around the 95.80-96.00 mark (basic minimum over the last couple of years has been a UAI of around 96, and a distinction average exactly [GPA 6.0] to put you just on the cutoff)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Thanks Minai, thats what I was leaning toward, one year it is:). One last question, a normal undergraduate degree is called a "Bachelors pass degree" isn't it? I hope so because that is what I put anyway:D.

enemy

Can anyone remember ur last year UAc number?...........I didnt as at the time i reapplied thru UAC( as they ask u to provide ur last year UAC number if possible.......). But now i remember it(as i jst looked thru my docs from last year) and i want to come back to that section and add in my last year UAC number ..........but i cant..............What should i do now?????????????Is it important to provide ur last year UAC no.?........... :( As they said "UAC doesnt keep previous records of applicants...........).So worried!!!!!!!!!!!

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
enemy said:
Can anyone remember ur last year UAc number?...........I didnt as at the time i reapplied thru UAC( as they ask u to provide ur last year UAC number if possible.......). But now i remember it(as i jst looked thru my docs from last year) and i want to come back to that section and add in my last year UAC number ..........but i cant..............What should i do now?????????????Is it important to provide ur last year UAC no.?........... :( As they said "UAC doesnt keep previous records of applicants...........).So worried!!!!!!!!!!!
It is fine. They gave you a new one didn't they? I did the same:).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)