transferring between unis (1 Viewer)

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Minai said:
Frigid: NRSL cutoffs are different to the UAI ones remember? The UNSW law NRSL cutoff has been around the 95.80-96.00 mark (basic minimum over the last couple of years has been a UAI of around 96, and a distinction average exactly [GPA 6.0] to put you just on the cutoff)
You wouldn't happen to know the same details for Commerce at NSW ? :)

enemy

Merethrond said:
Thanks Minai, thats what I was leaning toward, one year it is:). One last question, a normal undergraduate degree is called a "Bachelors pass degree" isn't it? I hope so because that is what I put anyway:D.
That's what i did ,too ^_^

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Grizzly said:
You wouldn't happen to know the same details for Commerce at NSW ? :)
It's unknown...Lazarus got the Law cutoffs awhile ago (I dunno how), but UNSW never likes publicly releasing those cutoffs, and unfortuately, I think universities are exempt from the Freedom of Information Act

but if it helps...the cutoff in 2004 was 96.00
my UAI was 95.25, and I got a Distinction average (GPA of 6.0) and successfully transferred into Commerce

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Minai, u had to apply through UAC or internally ?
How about say, 91 UAI, Credit average ? Not much chance huh ? :p

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
had to apply through UAC
the commerce department has no internal transfers (in fact, UNSW hardly has any internal transfers for any program)

91 and credit ave wont cut the mustard, but if you manage a distinction average (GPA of 6.0) you'd have a pretty decent chanc

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
lol, thanks for the info miani...what about 91, Cr average, and eco at NSW ?

Mind you, at MQ, its,
P = 2.0
Cr = 3.0
D = 4.0
HD = 4.0

So mathamatically - its impossible for me to get a 4.0 if im already under it.. LOL

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
that you'd prolly have a chance for (Eco)
but I dunno about commerce, since the UAI cutoff was 96 and it looks like rising =/

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Minai, were in intially in Eco, then xfered to Comm ?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Grizzly - whoops, yeah I did B.Economics in 1st year and transferred to Commerce for this year (95.25 UAI and 6.0 GPA)

psych_girl - I'm sure they can, but the entry criteria etc are different than local students, and I don't know much about it

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Grizzly said:
lol, thanks for the info miani...what about 91, Cr average, and eco at NSW ?

Mind you, at MQ, its,
P = 2.0
Cr = 3.0
D = 4.0
HD = 4.0

So mathamatically - its impossible for me to get a 4.0 if im already under it.. LOL
It's not your university's GPA system that matters (as the scores are all converted to a common standard) but your performance in each subject as a percentage (ie marked out of 100) - this is usually referred to as the Weighted Average Mark.

The WAM is calculated by multiplying your mark in a subject by the number of credit points of that subject, adding the products of all subjects and dividing by the total number of credit points. In short this gives you your average mark out of 100 for all subjects, and is weighted to accomodate different subject loads (in the form of credit points). This assessment is used as a standard because just about all tertiary institutions issue a percentile mark (ie mark out of 100) as well as an academic award (HD, D etc). However, each university has their own system of determining the academic award: for example, at UTS an HD is anything worth 85% or more, but at UWA the HD is anything above 80%. So, a UTS student with a WAM of 83 will only have a distinction average but a UWA student with the same WAM will be considered a high distinction student.

Hmm... I've forgotten why I typed all that out. Guess it's time to get studying again! :)

psych_girl

HSC
thx

Minai said:
Grizzly - whoops, yeah I did B.Economics in 1st year and transferred to Commerce for this year (95.25 UAI and 6.0 GPA)

psych_girl - I'm sure they can, but the entry criteria etc are different than local students, and I don't know much about it
thx a lot lol

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Lexicographer said:
It's not your university's GPA system that matters (as the scores are all converted to a common standard) but your performance in each subject as a percentage (ie marked out of 100) - this is usually referred to as the Weighted Average Mark.

The WAM is calculated by multiplying your mark in a subject by the number of credit points of that subject, adding the products of all subjects and dividing by the total number of credit points. In short this gives you your average mark out of 100 for all subjects, and is weighted to accomodate different subject loads (in the form of credit points). This assessment is used as a standard because just about all tertiary institutions issue a percentile mark (ie mark out of 100) as well as an academic award (HD, D etc). However, each university has their own system of determining the academic award: for example, at UTS an HD is anything worth 85% or more, but at UWA the HD is anything above 80%. So, a UTS student with a WAM of 83 will only have a distinction average but a UWA student with the same WAM will be considered a high distinction student.

Hmm... I've forgotten why I typed all that out. Guess it's time to get studying again! :)
I thought UAC used your GPA and not your WAM:confused:.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
If that were the case, then people from say UWA would be at an advantage because for them 60 is a credit and 80 is a high distinction.

If UAC says they use the GPA then I suspect they normalise (convert all marks) to their own scale.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
UAC uses GPA - they use the system where HD = 7, DN = 6 etc (so essentially, they convert Macquarie marks into the UAC GPA method)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
theone123 said:
which unis offer direct admission?
you'll have to look at the UAC guide, or browse each uni's website
not many of the "big" sydney uni's are flexible on direct entry

enemy

Minai said:
UAC uses GPA - they use the system where HD = 7, DN = 6 etc (so essentially, they convert Macquarie marks into the UAC GPA method)
So how about UAI???????If say i get the UAI that is higher than the cut-off for next year but my GPA is not that good, can i still make in??????????????????

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
enemy said:
So how about UAI???????If say i get the UAI that is higher than the cut-off for next year but my GPA is not that good, can i still make in??????????????????
Unfortunately not. For UAC external transfers, the only way to get in via UAI alone is to not complete one academic year. ie if you only complete 1 semester, you'll be judged on UAI alone. But if you transfer after 1 year, it'll be UAI 50%/1st year 50%, so if your GPA is low, it will negatively affect your overall NRSL ranking. Having said that however, if you're way over the UAI cutoff with your UAI, it'd take a really bad first year to deny you the transfer

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Minai said:
Yes, but which percentile marks serve as the cutoffs for GPA ranks? Is it the system common to UTS, UNSW and USyd where

P = 50
C = 65
D = 75
H = 85

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)