• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Transferring (1 Viewer)

Smokin'Squirrel

Learning to Surf
HSC
I'm not sure what happens with e-student. I think maybe we just get last pick. Although, access to class selection isn't given until early - mid February and the quota details are finalised by mid/late January. Maybe just enrol in the law units and if they don't kick you out then you will get first preference on classes too.

In terms of completing the degree in 5 years, I think you'll find that as long as you do 4 subjects in both semesters, this shouldn't be too difficult to achieve. Additionally, the majority of law units are worth 4cp+, so satisfying the elective law unit requirement shouldn't be too difficult. *Just a very long process*

X

xeuyrawp

Smokin'Squirrel said:
I think more information needs to be published.
Yep -- what they should do is get rid of the 2.0 and say 'Places are extremely competitive; a UAI of 90 and a high credit average is generally needed.' Or something

Smokin'Squirrel

Learning to Surf
HSC
I became very complacent in the 2nd semester of my first year, believing that a quota position was easier to obtain than it really was. When I heard that a credit average was 'recommended', I simply worked towards that target. Unfortunately, that was the minimum target which really isn't emphasised enough.

Unless you ask the right people the right questions, you really are left in the dark. As a first year student, I think that it's a little intimidating to actually undertake the process of asking these questions.

*Good thing I've finished 2nd year now*

X

xeuyrawp

Smokin'Squirrel said:
I think that it's a little intimidating to actually undertake the process of asking these questions.
I know, but the whole process really separates people...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Well, like i said, depending on how convincing the entry letter is, it may influence them, based on other motivations and factors to allow someone who has a sub 3 gpa, again highly unlikely, but if there were only 120 trying through that, i dont think its too bad :)

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
Well, like i said, depending on how convincing the entry letter is, it may influence them, based on other motivations and factors to allow someone who has a sub 3 gpa, again highly unlikely, but if there were only 120 trying through that, i dont think its too bad :)
See, that's what I don't understand. According to Maggie Liston, the people with the top 30 (although she did say 20, at the time) UAI / GPA mix get entry; I don't see the letter's place.

minalata

HSC
Smokin'Squirrel said:
Last year I applied for the quota and missed out... I had a GPA of 3.0 and a UAI of 92.85. I'm applying again this year with a GPA of 3.43 (needless to say I've done a fair bit of work this year).

i thought you could only transfer after the first year???

X

xeuyrawp

minalata said:
i thought you could only transfer after the first year???
er, what? He is third year...

Do you mean you can only transfer as a first year year as the only time?

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
you can transfer after your second year of tertiary studies...but not again after this...

X

xeuyrawp

Supra said:
you can transfer after your second year of tertiary studies...but not again after this...
Yep. Remember that you can't complete a Bxx / LLB with a 3rd year transfer any quicker than you could complete a Bxx with a grad LLB. If, after your second year, you wanted to do law, you'd have to apply for grad law or the external LLB.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Yep. Remember that you can't complete a Bxx / LLB with a 3rd year transfer any quicker than you could complete a Bxx with a grad LLB. If, after your second year, you wanted to do law, you'd have to apply for grad law or the external LLB.
hey what's the requirements for grad law at mq?

X

xeuyrawp

Supra said:
hey what's the requirements for grad law at mq?
There is no grad law; the only equivalent is the LLB by distance, which you wouldn't do. It's recommended as 6 years, although you could speed it up to about 4, if I'm correct about the prereqs of all the units.

Between UTS, UNSW, and USyd, and their various ways of assessing (via UAC, directly, questionaire, work experience, etc etc), you should have a chance of a metro uni.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
I know someone who transferred internally into law with a uai of around 90 and a pass avg a few years ago...so it varies every year.

Smokin'Squirrel

Learning to Surf
HSC
Does anyone know much about the UAC selection process for tertiary students trying to transfer into law?

I applied this year and won't find out until mid January if I made it in. All I know is that the Uni actually selects candidates so I was wondering if anyone knows the standards required and the process for selection.

Also, this is a much better entry point than the quota as there are no restrictions placed on the subjects taken. i.e. if you're in the quota, you can't take law 203/204/205/206 in 2nd year. However, if you are admitted directly to a LLB degree, then they will allow you to take these second year subjects as co-requisites with first year law units.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The same as hsc students isnt it ?

Smokin'Squirrel

Learning to Surf
HSC
I have a feeling that they scale up your GPA and UAI somehow *it's the 'somehow' that I'm unsure about*

I think that they weight the UAI with the GPA, depending on how many years or equivalent years have been completed to obtain the given GPA.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Smokin'Squirrel said:
I have a feeling that they scale up your GPA and UAI somehow *it's the 'somehow' that I'm unsure about*

I think that they weight the UAI with the GPA, depending on how many years or equivalent years have been completed to obtain the given GPA.
Haha oh my bad, thought you were asking about the fees involved (wasnt reading)

Ok yeah, after a year or so they generally take 50% GPA 50% UAI and then calculate the Non Recent School Leaver Rank.

Smokin'Squirrel

Learning to Surf
HSC
Any idea how competitive this process is? How many positions available? When they allocate the majority of positions?... etc

I wasn't given an offer in the preliminary rounds. However, the main round offers are released in mid january.

X

xeuyrawp

Smokin'Squirrel said:
Any idea how competitive this process is?
Very; traditionally, internal transfer is more lenient than UAC transfers. But it totally depends on the year.

How many positions available?
Internal = 30, external = as many as NRSL marks allow...

When they allocate the majority of positions?
By the beginning of semester...

I wasn't given an offer in the preliminary rounds. However, the main round offers are released in mid january
I suppose it's still possible for you to get a place.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Someone should do a "FAQ for Law transfers at MQ"
or just a general Transfer guide aye :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)