Trasnfered and finding it hard to make new friends (1 Viewer)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Don't take it offensively :)
1) we haven't transfered. so if all you want to know is if we have experienced what you are going through, no, we haven't
2) we aren't going to leave replies of simply 'no' or let the thread sink without replies.
3) so related to (b) of your intended topic, yes, i found that when in second year it was harder to meet new people than in first year, but no it wasn't hard <inset all previous comments of talking to people in tutes, going to groups and meeting friends of friends, which all support that if you want to meet people you can't be 'lazy'>

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
SuGa BunI =D said:
you know the same anthea too? :p
woww, six degree of separation: D
well i dont "know" her
cause wel simply i dont talk to her
but shes buddies with my gf
but ye
6 degrees well
4 in this case

CieL

HSC
ReaveR said:
Jono likes Cosmo, he tried to steal a copy from the high school library in like, year ten or something. Ask him about it next time you see him.
Really? He told me his favourite is Dolly Doctor............................

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
CieL said:
URGH me too!
Little asian with blonde streaks in her hair??
nah the anthea i know is of caucasian descent (sp?)... errh think she's aussie? but she probably is half aussie n half maltese/italian or something

X

xeuyrawp

LazyBoy said:
im well aware of what i have to do to make friends. im not socially retarted. Mostly its due to my lazyness.
I'm lost. What can we do for you, then? :S

You haven't answered heaps of our questions, and it seems that you already have your own answer...

LazyBoy

HSC
the question posed was more two part,

a) more for people who have transfered and their impressions of maquarie
b) my personal inpression, which be it probably biased and inacurate, about sydney appearing a more 'social' university.

right now i have been in to a more get in, get out mentality, which realates to a)... experiences of ppl transfering. perhaps i didnt make that as clear as i had hoped or am hoping. but at the same time i do feel lonely, where as sydney i did not, all of your statements and suggestions qbout making friends make sense and are are all reasonable, and are things i would normally do. (which is what i meant by "im not a social retard", i had thought of them all. what this post was more about was the 'motivational' aspect, well lack there of for me.

It is kinda werid i really wanna make new friends at maquarie, yet i lack the motivation that i had last year (i.e my first year). Which as i stated more is what my original question was about.

Well im sure this doesnt make much sense, lol. but its a drunkend ramble brought to you by the kind guys of the Carlton United Breweries, more specific the great Pint of Carlton Draught. if anyone has any quesitons, comments, you can more than happily contact me during sunday-wednesday on msn at @ fudgeoff@gmail.com im happy for what ever discussions particularly philosophical discussions.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
We've answered b), your perception isn't just restricted to those who've transferred, as I've raised, there are those who wish for that attitude, and don't make any friends and are in-out kind of attitude. It's not exclusively a transfer feeling. Uni is like that, you make of it what you want.

In regards to a) obviously, with anything, once you transfer, the psychological state tends to be more defensive rather than open, as you are in an uncustomed social space with little to no contacts.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
yeah i think its just your attitude... if you can't be bothered making friends,thats obviously going to show,

i mean unless your extremely hot looking and approachable looking where people are just naturally attracted to your good looks and charm yeah well... your going to have to make an effort if that isn't you.

I personally would not make an effort to get to know someone if they couldn't be bothered getting to know me.

As for motivation

Do you want to spend an extra 2 years at a uni with NO friends, no social life?? I don't think anyone wants that, so get off ur high horse and make an effort, u noob.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Oh, and another thing, comparing USYD social life to MQ social life is about as useful as comparing Hitler to Gandhi, they're two completely different social scenes.

<insert usyd bashing here>

etc.

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
Oh, and another thing, comparing USYD social life to MQ social life is about as useful as comparing Hitler to Gandhi, they're two completely different social scenes.

<insert usyd bashing here>

etc.
Yeah, I think that Maquarie social life is far more hidden. You need to crack the shell before you make friends, so to speak.

LazyBoy -- what exact subjects are you doing?

LazyBoy

HSC
im doing:

Egypt Hierglphys A (good thing its not having to know how to spell it)

Hist 201, European History: French Revolution to Facism

phil 256. Knowledge & Reality

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
in certain courses at sydney you don't need to go out of your way to talk to people because you are with the same people in each subject. so eventually you'll meet people and see them often and they become your friends. macquarie is definitely different in that way. if you are from a course at usyd where you spent everyday with the same people that might be another reason why you are finding it harder at mac.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah that was the biggest hurdle during first year, especially after transferring into a B Media had to basically start again but eh :)

LazyBoy

HSC
monday at 12. and yeah its different in sydney. What it is i think in first year everyone is wanting to make friends so it facililates the process. (and i was an arts student at syd so i wasnt in the same classes with the same ppl). Phil what u think of 201?

marchetta

shut up and do me
HSC
i've never had trouble making friends at mq, as most of the people i've come across are generally quite nice and easy going. next time you attend a lecture/tute, try to sit next to somebody and try to strike up a convo.
I remember last year in a tute a girl sitting next to me asked me if she could look at my course guide and after i gave to her, i was like "so... what's your name?" after that, we became friends!

CieL

HSC
The problem with meeting people in MQ is that they tend to (well, for me at least) to be like a class buddy.. you say "hi", sit there/chat a bit for 1-2hrs with them.. then you're like, "bye" *attend a different lecture*

So different to my friend's experience at UTS where she says the people in your class, you see them in every one of your lectures..

Whereas my experience is meeting people from a wide variety of degrees.. eg. STAT170.. meeting people from psych, comm, BA.. then those people do different units so you won't see them till a week later, rarararara..

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Personally, I'd hate to be stuck with one group of people for my entire uni experience, I mean, that's what high school was like

TalkieToaster

HSC
I know what you mean .. I found that hard last year as a non-award student because I was hardly ever at uni to meet people!

If you have a lecture or tute before a mutual break, go and have coffee or lunch with your class buddy! Then some other time invite someone else ... tada!

X

xeuyrawp

TalkieToaster said:
If you have a lecture or tute before a mutual break, go and have coffee or lunch with your class buddy! Then some other time invite someone else ... tada!
Exactemundo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)