Travelten bus pass (1 Viewer)

krkshkr

HSC
Hi

I've got a n00b question to ask abt the travelten bus pass. What's the difference between the brown one and the blue one? I understand that it means you can travel on different lines or something like that but noone really checks when you swipe it on the bus so I don't really understand. Btw I'm an international student. The other day the store attendant asked me if i wanted to buy the student concession travelten pass? Would it matter if i bought the student one for 8 dollars and used it? I hope someone can clear this up for me. Thanks.

youngmin

HSC
If you're a student, you should be getting a consession travelten.

The blue one is for 1-2 sections (short bus trips) and the brown one is for 3-5 sections (a bit longer than the blue ones).
From Central to UNSW you're meant to use brown, or you can dip the blue one twice. The bus driver won't give a fuck if you use the blue one once, but if a ticket inspector comes on you'll probably get fined. Pretty unlikely though.

William kamel

HSC
Hi

I've got a n00b question to ask abt the travelten bus pass. What's the difference between the brown one and the blue one? I understand that it means you can travel on different lines or something like that but noone really checks when you swipe it on the bus so I don't really understand. Btw I'm an international student. The other day the store attendant asked me if i wanted to buy the student concession travelten pass? Would it matter if i bought the student one for 8 dollars and used it? I hope someone can clear this up for me. Thanks.
I think I somebody started a thread on this

HSC
i take a bus straight from home to uni and use a travel10, atm i'm buying the travel10 appropriate for the distance between home and uni, but im considering getting a cheaper one, i don't see how transits would know which stop i got on. However there's no cheating on the 891/891 bus

SpoonSamba

HSC
I got a $100 fine for using the blue one to get to uni last year

I only did it cos i actually didnt have the otehr 5bucks for a brown one. I was not happy.

youngmin

HSC
i take a bus straight from home to uni and use a travel10, atm i'm buying the travel10 appropriate for the distance between home and uni, but im considering getting a cheaper one, i don't see how transits would know which stop i got on. However there's no cheating on the 891/891 bus
The thing printed on your travelten shows where you got on.
I can't remember exactly how but I know means Inbound and O means Outbound, I think the actual section of where you got on the bus is printed on.

dawdlex3

HSC
Just in case the message was not clear...
International students are not allowed travel concessions.

A blue travel ten is for 1-2 sections, e.g. from UNSW to Randwick, Coogee, Maroubra, Kingsford, Kensington, Moore Park etc.

A brown travel ten is for 3-5 sections, e.g. from UNSW to the city, Railway Square, Bondi Junction, Eastgardens*.

*unless you hop on at the kingsford bus stop at Churchill's Sports Bar.

kangarulz

Procrastinaton
HSC
I personally have been fined for using a blue pass between Central and UNSW... so make sure you buy a brown pass.

International students - DO NOT BUY STUDENT CONCESSION. You are only entitled to a student concession if you have the sticker on your student card... my band mate was fined for this.

So if you're an international student travelling from central to unsw... buy a BROWN, FULL FARE.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You are only entitled to a student concession if you have the sticker on your student card
I thought all concession cards had the sticker on them, whats the point of having one without a sticker?

But then again, I only have a secondary student concession card, so not sure.

dawdlex3

HSC
I thought all concession cards had the sticker on them, whats the point of having one without a sticker?

For uni student cards, you keep the same card for your entire degree so the concession status is only updated by the renewal of the concession sticker.

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC

You get the concession sticker put on your actual student ID card for uni, rather than having the separate cardboard card. (I think that's what you were getting at?)

Edit: lol beaten.

jeshxcore

Premium Member :)
HSC
Hi

i'm not 100% sure on this, i dont use travel tens but i used to catch the state bus everyday to and from school.. i've seen people use them and i've used them a few times myself.. but i know that different colours represent different sections.. so e.g. blue travel tens only cover sections 1-2 (i think) and brown ones will cover more, so that means that brown ones are the ones for longer distant bus rides..
some bus drivers will make you dip a certain travel ten buspass twice, thats because the travel ten may only cover part of the section of your trip..
but heaps of people just dip it once because theyre bloody expensive.

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
I got a $100 fine for using the blue one to get to uni last year

I only did it cos i actually didnt have the otehr 5bucks for a brown one. I was not happy.
FWIW you can "Stack" them
see Flickr Photo Download: Sydney Buses TravelTen multiple dipping chart
---
International Students International student identification card holders are not generally eligible for concession fares. Application forms may be obtained from your place of study.
-----
Also when MyZone comes in
Blue ticket = MyBus 1
Brown ticket = MyBus 2
Red,green,orange ticket = MyBus3

chrisnumber1

HSC
Hi

you need a student concession card to use the student ticket. its more for trains but i have been asked on the bus for it. because you are an international student im almost certain that you don't get a concession card, and if you cannot show your card then you can get a fine. im doing a lot of this from trains but im guessing its the same for the bus

henry08

HSC
N/A
Probably a stupid question, but how does a ticket inspector fine you exactly? I.e. how do they even know who you are. They are not police and you do not have to identify yourself to them as far as I am aware (hence how can they fine you if they do not know your details). All they can really do is put you off at the next stop, or am I missing something?

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
Probably a stupid question, but how does a ticket inspector fine you exactly? I.e. how do they even know who you are. They are not police and you do not have to identify yourself to them as far as I am aware (hence how can they fine you if they do not know your details). All they can really do is put you off at the next stop, or am I missing something?
A revenue protection officer can ask your name and address they can also request to see your ticket and concession card. they can detain you until police come if you don't identify yourself, they can detain you for the time it takes to get all the information from you and can kick you off the bus

you can request to see their identification (name, badge number)

henry08

HSC
N/A
Screw that. You don't show them id, nor do you give them your real name or address. They won't physically be able to restrain/hold you either (breach of civil liberties) so you are free to get of at the next stop if you want etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)