Trial only worth 15% but you did well in it? (1 Viewer)

zozoraneem

HSC
Hi
So for bio the triala is worth only 15%
Now I did so well in it and the difference between me and the second person is 13 marks.
Now for the overall mark me and that person were tied as equal first.
Now I am scared it will affect me in the hsc since she got a band 4 and I am hopping for a band 6. Brcause our marks would be added and averaged
Can I ask from the school to make me first by at least decimals?
I find it unfair that in trials I got way higher than her and then she ends up getting the same mark as me bcz of assignments.
Any advice what I could do? Can I still get a band 6 in hsc?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think the most productive thing you can do is to help her as much as possible so her mark don't let you down. Life is unfair-you will soon learn this universal truth sooner or later.

swagmeister

HSC
You say you were tied as equal first. You should be rank 1 from the sound of it and have nothing to worry about

el_manu

HSC
Hi
So for bio the triala is worth only 15%
Now I did so well in it and the difference between me and the second person is 13 marks.
Now for the overall mark me and that person were tied as equal first.
Now I am scared it will affect me in the hsc since she got a band 4 and I am hopping for a band 6. Brcause our marks would be added and averaged
Can I ask from the school to make me first by at least decimals?
I find it unfair that in trials I got way higher than her and then she ends up getting the same mark as me bcz of assignments.
Any advice what I could do? Can I still get a band 6 in hsc?
Unfair but your school should have done better separate your marks by having more tests. If you want a good moderated assessment mark I advise you give that person all your notes on biology and help the person as much as possible. Not much else you can do. To get a band 6 the person needs to at least get a band 5 and you need to ace your externals.

bigdawstv

HSC
Man that sucks, try and help her as much as possible. Maybe try studying with her at a library or something.
You don't want to get dragged down

swimfast

HSC
Uni Grad
This exact thing happened to me! I was tied first in bio, but the school entered me as 1st based on the 5th decimal point. This was probably quite important as I went on to get 1st in the state.

I understand the concern in your situation as you are so far ahead in your school. I would certainly discuss with the teacher but I would certainly not do so under the guise that it is 'unfair'. The main point should be that every student at your school will do better if an outright 1st is given (whether it is you or the other girl is actually irrelevant). Consider the following:

1st in school in HSC exam: 95
2nd in school in HSC exam 85

Assuming tied first, the assessment marks would be as follows:

1st in school (you and her): 90
3rd in school: scaled relative to 90
etc.

Assuming outright first, assessment marks would be:

1st in school (you or her): 95
2nd in school (you or her): 94
3rd in school: scaled relative to 95
etc.

As you can see, every student does better if an outright first is given, even if it isn't you. In fact, your assessment mark would be 4 marks higher even if you were given 2nd outright rather than tied 1st.

You should make this argument objectively to your teacher and not appeal to fairness. If you do that, the teacher will think you're grasping for marks and won't listen. The point has to be that it is better for everyone - you, her and the rest of the class.

Good luck with everything and even if you are put as equal first, just take that as more motivation to smash the final exam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)