Trial (1 Viewer)

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
I posted this in phys section, but my question applies to both phys and chem

My trial exams are this term and so i'm going to start doing trial papers in order to study for them. However, since we haven't gone through it, our trials are only going to have the three core modules and not the option (for both chem and phys)
So when i'm doing trial papers, i'm planning on disregarding the option bit and doing only the cores.

My question is, since all the trials I looked at are 3 hrs long, if i were to take away the option, how much allocated time should i give myself? I've never attempted the option bit before so i'm not too sure how long you're meant to take on it :/

I thought maybe removing half an hour but am not too sure

Thanks in advance

P.S. my options are Medical and Industrial Chem, if that helps.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
why not just learn the option first ahah
that way you get more practice in, and you'll get used to the time management

but to answer your actual question, from what I've heard from past students/teachers, time management is never really a huge issue with physics (idk about chem), so I don't think how much time you remove is that important

I think try 2 hours first, and see how you go (2 1/2 hours is probs closer to what it should be, but you should challenge yourself!)

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
I don't have time, my phys and chem trials are in 5 weeks (lol sounds like a lot) and i need to start the pp's asap. Plus, i have an engineering studies report coming up and an english assessment, which i have to juggle with making notes and pp. Plus, i have so much editing to do for english.

pree much, my plate is super full XD

ok cool, i'll try 2 hrs.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
I don't have time, my phys and chem trials are in 5 weeks (lol sounds like a lot) and i need to start the pp's asap. Plus, i have an engineering studies report coming up and an english assessment, which i have to juggle with making notes and pp. Plus, i have so much editing to do for english.

ok cool, i'll try 2 hrs.
fair enough

5 weeks doesn't sound like that much actually considering you have like 4 other subjects to worry about ahah

yeh go for it

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
I posted this in phys section, but my question applies to both phys and chem

My trial exams are this term and so i'm going to start doing trial papers in order to study for them. However, since we haven't gone through it, our trials are only going to have the three core modules and not the option (for both chem and phys)
So when i'm doing trial papers, i'm planning on disregarding the option bit and doing only the cores.

My question is, since all the trials I looked at are 3 hrs long, if i were to take away the option, how much allocated time should i give myself? I've never attempted the option bit before so i'm not too sure how long you're meant to take on it :/

I thought maybe removing half an hour but am not too sure

Thanks in advance

P.S. my options are Medical and Industrial Chem, if that helps.
Iirc I usually tried to leave myself at least 45 mins for the option topic when doing past papers. But tbh, I don't think it'll make too much of a difference whether you allocate yourself 30 mins less or 45 mins less (or something around that range)

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC

ok cool, i'll try 2 hrs.
dammmmmmmn you have trials early haha

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Allocate 45-50 minutes to the option section. So you should allocate around 2 hrs to 2 hrs and 15 minutes for the core.

Also, if you are confident with all the content, don't bother too much with notes. Just find good quality notes from somewhere/someone else and use those/annotate to add your own notes.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
IMO, try to work at 1.5minutes/mark.
So:
Multiple choice - 30 mins
Part B - 1 hour 20 mins
Option - 40 mins

Leaves you 30 mins to check over your responses.

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
Thanks everyone, i think im gonna try 2.5 hrs and then decrease to 2

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Make sure you predominantly do trial papers. Leave HSC past papers for the HSC
I guess do whatever your teacher gives you as well. So if your teacher gives you a past HSC question to do, try doing it.

But yeah trials are good, CSSA, Independent, Exam Choice or NEAP if you ask your teacher and that; but generally they don't, because most schools just use them for their trial. Try some of the non-commercial school trials, you know where to find them.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
What's wrong with doing HSC papers during non HSC periods (just curious)?
Nah it's just that to make the most out of doing well in trials, you should look at the trials that your school has done in previous years. Also, you might run out of practice questions for the HSC once you get closer to the HSC.

Nothing particularly wrong. It just isn't as strategic.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Nah it's just that to make the most out of doing well in trials, you should look at the trials that your school has done in previous years. Also, you might run out of practice questions for the HSC once you get closer to the HSC.

Nothing particularly wrong. It just isn't as strategic.
Uh fair enough but if you like to do HSC questions before non-HSC periods (like me) then why not give it a shot lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)