Trials Thoughts/Results (1 Viewer)

HSC
Re: Trials Thoughts xD

I got my timetable today. All 7 exams in the first week of trials, so 2 days have two 3-hour exams. Awesome!

tambourine

HSC

im so scared about the trials...i haven't studied though...i wish they didn't determine the ranks :(

conics2008

HSC

man trials are not cool. my school is tight on resoucres.. bloody cant even afford to give us past trial papers.

cheap school

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Re: so, who else is fucked for trials?

jannny said:
Haha na I wouldnt go as far as Pass average, most likely credit but if I get a Pass in one of my subjects then its ok (I wouldn't treat it as like the end of the world, just like in the HSC.)

But yea Bobness, if 90+ WAM is ur thing, go for it by all means. I guess its different in your situation since you're doing law.
No it's not different because i'm 'doing law'.

In law, getting a Pass average still means i can be employed. That doesn't differ from engineering.

However, what does differ is my view (which reflects knowledge about graduate possibilities and employment rates) and your very limited, i daresay naive view.

Again even a credit average (although in your original post you said 'Pass average')
jany said:
Well my point is at uni, you just generally need a Pass to basically get your degree.
will limit your choices when you go for a job. It's just the same with a uai (which is the end result for the vast majority of Year 12 students).

If you score 100UAI can you still do teaching or nursing? YES (I actually know one person doing the former with that uai).

If you score 60UAI can you do law? NO.

It's as simple as that kiddo.

I was postulating how university is really no different when aiming for marks, than trials and hsc, and to inject a sense of realism to your comments and this thread. At least year 12 students are now wiser as to how they have a second chance in university to atone for 'poor' marks they may possibly achieve in year 12 (for whatever reasons).

To all 2008ers, don't think that you're just the same as any other person by breezing through with pass averages at uni: if you knuckle down and maintain academic rigour while still living a balanced life (as i have) then your future dream career or way of life will be within reach :eek:

Again, hope the trials that students have done so far (at certain schools) have been good :D

T

Troy2287

Well I want to do a B.Civil Engineering/B.Surveying @ University of Newcastle, which requires 80.80. So I figure 85 is a good aiming point. But I do believe I am capable of higher. We got our trial results last week (our exams were week 9 & 10 of term 2) and I really flonked them:

English(Standard): 61%
Maths (2U): 61% (Top of my class....really says a lot for the school)
IPT: 81% (Top of the year, and ranking 1st)
Software D&D: 61%
Geography: 61%
Physics: 63%

People have been saying that trials are harder than the HSC itself, but I don't believe thats the case. Comparing the exams we did to HSC past papers, they are relatively the same. My opinion is that the teachers marking is harder than at any other point in the year.
Eg. For an imaginative writing task in English, I scored 14/15 in an in-class assessment. When I re-wrote the task word-for-word in the trial (like I had been specifically instructed to do by my teacher) it scored only 8/15.

That has really puzzled me. I want to approach the teacher, but I don't know what to say: "Hey why did it score only 8/15 when you told me to write it exactely the same and when it got 14/15 earlier in the year" won't really go down to well, I don't think.

Maths was my fault...theres simply one answer: Not enough study. Although i'd like to make excuses and say that the trials were harder because they were bunched up into 2 weeks and I was working part time etc, I have to face it. In maths you are either right or wrong. In this case, 39% of my answers were wrong and therefore: I messed up. My bad.

Well IPT: No complaints, i'm happy with it. My teacher said the highest mark he's had in a trial was last year (81%) and that person scored 93 in the HSC exam. I'm ranked first, by a fairly safe margin. So all-in-all the trial mark really doesn't matter.

Software/Geography: One explanation; I had a brain snap. I'd had Geography earlier that day for 3 hours, and I suppose having another 3 hour exam on the same day didn't really suit me. I remember sitting in the Geo exam watching the clock tick simultaneously with the one on the other side of the hall. Watching the supervisors pace around the room. I just didn't want to write...and it showed. For the 3 essays I wrote just 6 1/2 pages...Scoring 30/60 for them in total. Skills was fine cause I dropped only 4-5 marks.

Physics...well it was on the last day of school, and I was planning on not even studing for it. I studied the night before, for an hour, and it turned out to be my 2nd best result. I think Physics will be my saviour in the HSC (f I put in more than an hour of study). I did make a stupid mistake though: I specifically read through my text book on interferometry and in the exam, couldn't remember what it was...I dropped me about 5% :(

Anyway, theres my rant...probably not topic-related but I had to get it off my chest :) Any comments appreciated!

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A

Troy2287 said:
Well I want to do a B.Civil Engineering/B.Surveying @ University of Newcastle, which requires 80.80. So I figure 85 is a good aiming point. But I do believe I am capable of higher. We got our trial results last week (our exams were week 9 & 10 of term 2) and I really flonked them:

English(Standard): 61%
Maths (2U): 61% (Top of my class....really says a lot for the school)
IPT: 81% (Top of the year, and ranking 1st)
Software D&D: 61%
Geography: 61%
Physics: 63%

People have been saying that trials are harder than the HSC itself, but I don't believe thats the case. Comparing the exams we did to HSC past papers, they are relatively the same. My opinion is that the teachers marking is harder than at any other point in the year.
Eg. For an imaginative writing task in English, I scored 14/15 in an in-class assessment. When I re-wrote the task word-for-word in the trial (like I had been specifically instructed to do by my teacher) it scored only 8/15.

That has really puzzled me. I want to approach the teacher, but I don't know what to say: "Hey why did it score only 8/15 when you told me to write it exactely the same and when it got 14/15 earlier in the year" won't really go down to well, I don't think.
Well, it's definitely too late for my advice, but GENERALLY you do not want to rewrite your past assessments 'word-for-word' in english, even if your teacher says so. The main reason being is, if s/he does not mark your exam, you are open to having another teacher mark it from their perspective. That is the reason behind the fluctuation in marks (and the fact that creatives have the highest standard deviation of marks, traditionally).

Also, you would want to improve the quality of your work with each assessment block. To think of it rationally, if you wrote your journeys essay in term 4 2007 and score 12/15, and then wrote it again in your hsc term 4 2008, you would be hard-pressed to score a 12/15 or higher the second time around. Generally, your entire school cohort (and state cohort for the HSC) are improving each week, and you should be trying to aim higher each time to even MAINTAIN old marks. Otherwise, schools could just give you your final internal ranks after your first assessment block (which they don't) and not give anyone the opportunity to maintain/improve their ranks.

benji6667

HSC

i need some reassurance that im not the only one totally F'd for the trials... im confident in everything except English :(

I'm not a strong writer when it comes to exams... and when my teacher saw the CSSA trial paper, she cried.

jordankuai22

HSC

conics2008 said:
man trials are not cool. my school is tight on resoucres.. bloody cant even afford to give us past trial papers.

cheap school
fkn pwnt

leannespeaks

HSC

dont care if i sound so emo right now...but i feel so effing insecure to those ppl who still gets 90+ and looked as if they have no single eyebugs in their eyes...

Man..i try so hard doing loads of shit but its not sinking in..

have to do my PIP( 3/4 done) and History ext. thesis....

and for those who are acing .....

much as i sound like a jealous bitch but please refrain yourself from putting you oh so glamour marks in BOS..yes i know about freedom of speech but please...show some empathy for those who are working hard but not acing. i heard that some ppl avoid BOS because its dominated by snobby Acers...

well.just a little bit refrain wont hurt ...

HSC

gah, just had my bio exam. felt confident before going in, then EVERYTHING i studied in depth turned up in the multiple choice. the stuff i glanced over was in the short answer. and it was our last assessment task for bio too, so unless everyone else went really shit i'll probably be around 6th in the year :cold:

english was shit too. would have been nice if they told us we had to do the paper in order, i wouldn't have wasted my time starting the essay (which was sorth nothing) and then panicking because i had less time for the unseen texts (which is worth something).

ancient was okay, not good just okay. except for pompeii. italian tomorrow, then four-day weekened, woot!

~aussiegirl!~

08 sac baby!
HSC

try to get through them without falling asleep!!! im so drained

hoping for 75+

HSC

benji6667 said:
i need some reassurance that im not the only one totally F'd for the trials... im confident in everything except English :(

I'm not a strong writer when it comes to exams... and when my teacher saw the CSSA trial paper, she cried.
Being confident in everything bar one subject =/= totally fucked. Get a grip. :rolleyes:

jessi90

HSC

I'm scared :( So much pressure yet I'm so demotivated

tambourine

HSC

same...demotivation and procrastination are keeping me from studying :(

HSC

only productive study i have done is one topic in business = management and change... hahaha im praying that i wil memeorise my english (second paper) in one night.

Question if i go shit in trials but i have been going well all year how much will it effect me?

BackCountrySnow

HSC

During the holidays I just couldn't get myself to sit down and study. But now I'm studying quite well. Not getting distracted or anything like that.
It's strange.

conics2008

HSC

hey guys/girls trails start next week. english on monday xD

feeling confident on the journey essay, just wrote one up now and trying to memorise it.

im looking forward in getting raped by the creative writing task.. any tips ??

HSC

conics2008 said:
feeling confident on the journey essay, just wrote one up now and trying to memorise it.
Lol enjoy failing the english HSC paper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)