Trumpeters Unite!! (1 Viewer)

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
examiners don't hate jazz -- they hate BAD jazz.... but then again, does anyone like bad jazz??

problem with it is that so many people try and do jazz, but do it really badly, so i guess they just get sick of hearing that crap after a while.

skankit

hmm... i just think examiners hate what they dont understand, and most of them dont understand jazz. just my opinion.

so what pieces are you guys all playing?

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
im playin:

1st movt of quintet - malcolm arnold
legend - enesco
rustiques - bozza
silken weave - schultz

my australian piece is a little boring - i wana play the 3rd movement of the richard mills concerto instead but it doesnt really work well with the piano accompaniment o well!

skankit

hehe cool

hey, i have real bad trouble with nerves. any suggestions? like when i get nervous, i split notes like crazy.. its like my chops just go. i could easily play my program twice at home, but in my assesment i struggled to get through it once. hmmm. should i just do endurance?

what do u guys do to work on that?

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
skankit said:
hehe cool

hey, i have real bad trouble with nerves. any suggestions? like when i get nervous, i split notes like crazy.. its like my chops just go. i could easily play my program twice at home, but in my assesment i struggled to get through it once. hmmm. should i just do endurance?

what do u guys do to work on that?
hey hey !! dont worry, ive been through that stage!!! i used to screw up performances soooo bad cos i got heaps nervous. At the beginning of this year, i was a shocking performer. But during this year, ive gradually improved and laernt heaps of stuff about performing.

The reason why you are struggling to get through one piece is cos your not breathing properly. I find it hard to breathe naturally when im nervous. But what i figured a little while ago, was that you can still play when your nervous!! I went to New Zealand with my brass band, and we played in the NZ national band championships in the open A grade, and in our own choice piece, i had to play a massive solo (its quite unusual for a backrow rep cornet to have a solo!!) it was a really exposed, slow, mellow solo and i had to play infront of a huge crowd, and damn i got nervous!! But i played it!!! I didnt split a single note - i just kept concentrating on my breathing and airflow and tried to let the music take over me... from this i learnt that you can stil play when ur nervous!

Also, when you perform, make sure that you are RELAXED!!! try doing breathing exercises... like breathe in for 4 coumts, hold for 4, then out for 4 and hold for 4. Dont do anything different to what you would normally do when you are practicing in your bedroom!

you should read this book called 'the inner game of music' i forgot who its by but its a really good book that tells you stuff about performance anxiety and improving concentration and things like that!! Also, read the performance anxiety section in Allen Vizzuttis book. Hope this helps!!

skankit

thanks :) i drank peppermint tea before my last assesment, but i drank it before i left home and by the time i played i was nervous again! hopefully ill drink it closer to the time though

i LOVE allen vizzuti's books, theyre the best! i swear id die without..!

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
as you can see by the title "Trumpeters Unite" it means that faggy lil 4 unit English dickheads and fucked up oboe players ARE NOT WELCOME because you wouldn't understand shit about one of the hardest instruments to play....so...TAKE A HINT!!!

Bizzy Bone

Boss Member
HSC
yeah...

timyates_87 said:
as you can see by the title "Trumpeters Unite" it means that faggy lil 4 unit English dickheads and fucked up oboe players ARE NOT WELCOME because you wouldn't understand shit about one of the hardest instruments to play....so...TAKE A HINT!!!
wtf does english hav 2 do with anything, RETARD? rofl and stop recruiting nerds DICKHEAD..."Trumpeters Unite!!" tha fuck is this guy on about man?

skankit

my god everyones so angry! settle down guys!

obviously this is a thread about playing trumpet and if you dont play trumpet why would you come in? whats the point of just posting msgs to bag other ppl out...? waste of time and energy! do something more constructive with your time!!!

oh and whats with this whole trumpet/oboe war?!?! you guys are gonna hate me and all but i played oboe for 8yrs!

man this thread has just turned into a major biff! chillout guys!! :eek:

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
timyates_87 said:
Everybody chill!! Tim, i dont agree wif you on dat one - the trumpet isnt a hard instrument to play i reckon the oboe is harder. The trumpet only has 3 valves while the oboe has a million little keys and holes. Why? because us trumpet players cant count to four! This 'trumpeters unite' thread is for us little dumb trumpet players if you wana join us then your welcome to. Although i made a thread especially for oboe players called 'oboers unite' - and ujuphleg, see you know im dumb i called you an 'oboer', not an oboist.

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
skankit said:
thanks :) i drank peppermint tea before my last assesment, but i drank it before i left home and by the time i played i was nervous again! hopefully ill drink it closer to the time though

i LOVE allen vizzuti's books, theyre the best! i swear id die without..!
hey are you auditioning for the con? were you at the open day?

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
speaking of the open day, did anyone see the Brass Ensemble play :) it was SOOO good, guest performers included, John Foster and Paul Goodchild. The first piece they played was all on natural trumpets :) and then the whole ensemble played. to finnish they played Queen of Sheba and Andrew Evans (my new teacher) whipped out his piccolo trumpet...

Last edited:

skankit

i really wanna go to the con but i wont get in!!

i went to the usyd open day but couldnt be botehred to go to the con - i went to the last open day at the con and i found out all i really wanna know

i really really wanna do the jazz course but i know i wont get in...so im thinking of taking a year off and just practicing my arse off then trying out

actually what i really wanna do is do a bachelor of arts/bachelor of music studies, but i wanna do bachelor of music instead of music studies so i can do the jazz course... i dunno i think i might just try for the con anyway, for the music studies course, and i can always transfer later??

what about you?

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
skankit said:
i really wanna go to the con but i wont get in!!

i went to the usyd open day but couldnt be botehred to go to the con - i went to the last open day at the con and i found out all i really wanna know

i really really wanna do the jazz course but i know i wont get in...so im thinking of taking a year off and just practicing my arse off then trying out

actually what i really wanna do is do a bachelor of arts/bachelor of music studies, but i wanna do bachelor of music instead of music studies so i can do the jazz course... i dunno i think i might just try for the con anyway, for the music studies course, and i can always transfer later??

what about you?
dont worry youll get in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i wana do Bmus perf at the con... but im also thinking of doing the Bmus/B Arts (visual) combined course at the Australian
National Uni... my UAI is going to be REALLY low cos im failing at school.... so i really need to work on my trumpet playing to make up for it!!

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
timyates_87 said:
speaking of the open day, did anyone see the Brass Ensemble play :) it was SOOO good, guest performers included, John Foster and Paul Goodchild. The first piece they played was all on natural trumpets :) and then the whole ensemble played. to finnish they played Queen of Sheba and Andrew Evans (my new teacher) whipped out his piccolo trumpet...
damn i missed out on seeing the brass choir!! but i heard that they were heaps good!!! I spoke to Andrew Evans though - hes such a nice guy!! Hey Timmay, damn, i didnt get to see you there! :(

skankit

its so hard to choose, isnt it?!?

i wish theyd like make courses specially for people.. like me! because i really only want to do jazz, not classical, but with the Bmus studies thats all you can do, right? like you can only do jazz with the Bmus?

it all sucks! i think i might just do the B Arts/B mus studies and then maybe transfer to jazz.. oh well we have time to decide anyway!

you should do your degree at Usyd!!! thats where im going, tis the best, and this really hot guy i know goes there :p

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
skankit said:
its so hard to choose, isnt it?!?

i wish theyd like make courses specially for people.. like me! because i really only want to do jazz, not classical, but with the Bmus studies thats all you can do, right? like you can only do jazz with the Bmus?

it all sucks! i think i might just do the B Arts/B mus studies and then maybe transfer to jazz.. oh well we have time to decide anyway!

you should do your degree at Usyd!!! thats where im going, tis the best, and this really hot guy i know goes there :p
oh oh oh oh i know this really hot guy who goes to the con and he plays trumpet :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)