Trumpeters Unite!! (1 Viewer)

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
Yeh tis a shame, we could have had a Trumpeter's Unite trumpet section in spec :D because i think trumpet geek got in as well, so i have herd.... still waiting for her to confirm that one.

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
nah i didnt play it for my HSC but i played it like 2 years ago for my 8th grade exam... and yeah i picked it up again and im totally stuffed for that last bit in the 1st movement arghhh the stupid lip trills! I spent like 5 hours working on that bit today! (no actually im over exaggurating but you know what i mean!) Yeah im gona play it for some of my auditions for unis. Nah, you teacher didnt say that you were crap - he/she prollly thought that it was a good idea not to play for your hsc cos the piece is not only a big blow, but also cos its too well known... and that pieces is open to many different interpretations so if you dun play it the way the examiners wanted to hear, then yeah they wont like it and your stuffed! Same with the Haydn trumpet concerto - most people think they know the piece well but they actually dont! LIke when i played the 2nd movement one day during extension music class, my music teacher was like 'no, its meant to go faster!!' and she demonstrated by singing how fast it should go and i was like yeah well your not my fucken trumpet teacher and since when was this slow movement played at dotted crotchet=60??? ARGHHHH

skankit

oh im so jealous, i really wanted ot do spec!

man i cant play anymore, i wish id kept practicing throughout the hsc! i tried to play yesterday and i just died after about 15mins! the good thing is now no pressure to work on technical shit and pieces, i can work on my soloing which i really enjoy doing!! i mean i do enjoy practicing but soemtimes it tends to be a chore when your going over the same pieces again and again!!

yeah that end bit of the hummel is a KILLER! as much as i hated my teacher for saying that (altho your prolly right - im sure he doesnt think im totally crap... maybe :eek:) im glad i didnt play it, i woldve totally died! hehe i was gonna play the haydn as well but scrapped it for that precise reason!! hehehe

did you guys watch the big band idol?? i was watching it and i was like omg its paul panichi!!! :D he comes into my work sometimes and im like OH MY GOD and everyones like what??? and im like its paul panichi! hes one of the best trumpet players in sydney! adn theyre like uh yeah ok...
but hes SUCH a nice guy!

and on a lighter note, IM FINISHED! YAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!! no more school forever! im so happy you just wouldnt believe!

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
yeah whats the general concensus in here about James Morrison? The other girl in my class (who is a trumpet player) is really good friends with him and you gotta admit, hes a pretty awesome player. I've heard trumpeters complain before that he's over rated. What do you all think?

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
Hmmm, as far as Jazz goes hes the BEST!!! but when looking at classical hes is still VERY GOOD!!! but not the best like he is mad out to be...... but can't post to much atm, SPEC MUSIC HAS ARRIVED!!! :D:D:D

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
Paul Panichi aye? Hehe, he's cool!! We had him for a Jazz workshop at school last year and it was awsome. But i still kinda find it hard to get over the fact that his neck puffs up like a balloon when he plays high!! It scares me... Wow, where do you work, Skankit?? (no... not trying to get a job there too or anything!) And yeah James Morrion is pretty cool although im not really a big fan of him... but yeah hes great!! Oh well dont worry Skankit youll pick it up real soon - at least youve been working hard on your HSC stuff - cos that stuff actually counts and you will be rewarded later for it!!YAY! Oh well, i spent the last few weeks playing trumpet and nothing else and i didnt study at all so yeah i like fucked up my HSC but i dun really care so yeah... hehehe! But its not like my trumpet playing has improved over the last few weeks either... ARGHHH WHy its there only 24 hours in a day and only 7 days in a week - its not enough time to play and practice trumpet seriously!!!!!!!!

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
im only 3rd and 4th trumpet in spec :( no matter, im just glad to be in..

Last edited:

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
hey skankit!!, in spec orchestra i think your teacher is 1st just for rehersals, tim someone, but i don't know his last name yeh and then paul panichi is taking over for the performances... spec was awsome, except the damn syncopation.

Crowie

HSC
N/A
hey all
wat topic did u all do for ur additional topic or are you doing for ur HSC im finking baroque music but it seems so straight foward u got ne comments especially performance wise
and of course yes i play the trumpet

Last edited:

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
i did classical, played Haydn 1st and 2nd. i think its best to stay to additionals with plenty or music to choose from like cause there ain't really that much in Baroque.. unless you play a piccolo, that would really go good with examiners two dif instruments. i think Classical and 20th Century are the safest topics..

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
Crowie said:
hey all
wat topic did u all do for ur additional topic or are you doing for ur HSC im finking baroque music but it seems so straight foward u got ne comments especially performance wise
and of course yes i play the trumpet
CROWIE!!!! how are ya! If you wana do Baroque for your additional topic, ur better of doing performance, which u are gona do anyway... cos if you do composition, its hard to compose in the baroque style cos the makers expect u to include heaps of performance directions on the scores but back in the baroque period composers didnt really use dynamics or other markings and they are only done by the editor and yeah anyway i wont go into that...

Some baroque pieces you could consider playing for ur hsc performance include:

-Concerto by Neruda
-Concerto for 2 trumpets - Vivaldi
-Trumpet Voluntary - i thinks its by Purcell?
-Concerto by Leopold Mozart
-Concerto by Fasch i think thats how u spell it
-Concerto by Telemann

um.. there are heaps more but i just cant think of them atthe mo

hm... sum of them go a bit high and yaeh its proly a good idea to play em on piccolo trp cos the Bb's are a bit too heavy for the baroque style. I played the Neruda on the Eb trumpet - twas mad - yeah, NErudas a good piece ta play - its not too hard, but its really flashy and agile and stuf and the 2nd movement is really nice and lyrical.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Agreed, back in high school and through first year I wrote many baroque-style counterpoint exercises, and even the odd fugue. While some teachers thought my approach of a lack of performance directions was appropriate (as would have been expected in the Baroque era), other teachers felt that this Isn't the Baroque era, and that performers should be given appropriate performance instructions.

Basically, you're allowed to do what you want - but you need to Justify everything you do. If you aren't going to provide performance instructions, you need to justify it at the beginning of your score, spelling out exactly what is required of the performer.

Crowie

HSC
N/A
hey all just wondering about background info on the trumpet i cant b botherd 2 look
i am playing concerto in d by torrelli 2 trumpet strings n continuo n i was wonder because this trumpet in d was the trumpet in d the closest to the natural trumpet n back in the day (baroque period) lol wat sorta instrument would it have been played on
thanx all

compo^_^guy

HSC
the baroque trumpet in D had no valves, that was a modification of the natural trumpet to make it go higher, im basing that on that the modern piccolo is in D, im not really sure....

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
Crowie said:
hey all just wondering about background info on the trumpet i cant b botherd 2 look
i am playing concerto in d by torrelli 2 trumpet strings n continuo n i was wonder because this trumpet in d was the trumpet in d the closest to the natural trumpet n back in the day (baroque period) lol wat sorta instrument would it have been played on
thanx all
hey Crowie, ASK WOLNIZER!!!!!!

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
Jazz Man Tim said:
Hey Trumpet geek

can i just say sorry for thinking that you were a guy? apparently your a girl..
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showpost.php?p=1137588&postcount=8
my bad, your Av does sorta confuse me... who is that on your av then? if its not you...?? :)

btw, this is Nondil... just got a username change, do not be alarmed :p
oh thats cool! your not the only one - dont worry! People get confused even in real life which is really sad... the guy in my av is the guy from trumpet bordom - this bunch of hot uni guys from the US and they all play trumpet except for this one guy who plays bari sax.

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
lol. they get confused in real life too?!? thats rather strange unless you look like a man?? :p

go the bari sax player, up there with the trumpeters lol :D

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
ujuphleg said:
yeah whats the general concensus in here about James Morrison? The other girl in my class (who is a trumpet player) is really good friends with him and you gotta admit, hes a pretty awesome player. I've heard trumpeters complain before that he's over rated. What do you all think?
I think that he is great...he just annoys me that he feels like he has to play high to impress--his chops in general are awesome. In fact, i play in a local jazz group and we are touring Japan and China with him next April. I have heard he is kinda arrogant, but i suppose I will just have to wait and see.
Needless to say i am counting the minutes to April '05!!!

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)