• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Tsvangirai withdraws from sham election (1 Viewer)

wendus

krawr.
HSC
Chris. said:
the UN should plan to assasinate Mugabe
no, the UN should put him in gaol for life. he deserves the long-term suffering!

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
lasnAy said:
i was actually really devastated when i heard this on the enws yesterday...... why can't Australia and other nations hurry up and step in?!
Because it's neither our business nor our responsibility?

We don't have a moral obligation to 'step in' and 'fix' the fuck ups of other countries, you know. I'm a bit disappointed that Tsvangirai has withdrawn but tbh it's not like we couldn't have seen it coming.

kokodamonkey

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
Because it's neither our business nor our responsibility?

We don't have a moral obligation to 'step in' and 'fix' the fuck ups of other countries, you know. I'm a bit disappointed that Tsvangirai has withdrawn but tbh it's not like we couldn't have seen it coming.
I have to disagree.. Isn't there a UN Declaration that its out job to ensure that people are not suffering? That we are to intervene if people are suffering in other countries.

How are we supposed to go on from here? They are going to go ahead with their sham election, in which Mugabe will obviously win, and then thats that end of story we are all supposed to forget about the suffering of the people? I know i cant..

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
kokodamonkey said:
I have to disagree.. Isn't there a UN Declaration that its out job to ensure that people are not suffering? That we are to intervene if people are suffering in other countries.

How are we supposed to go on from here? They are going to go ahead with their sham election, in which Mugabe will obviously win, and then thats that end of story we are all supposed to forget about the suffering of the people? I know i cant..
Oh I know what you're saying. I don't think it's necessarily the right thing to do to just leave them to it...but I do take issue with the idea that we always have to intervene when another country can't handle it's own shit. The suffering of the people in Zimbabwe is not something I'm comfortable with, don't get me wrong. But direct intervention (e.g. in the form of military action, etc) does not sit well with me either.

kokodamonkey

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
Oh I know what you're saying. I don't think it's necessarily the right thing to do to just leave them to it...but I do take issue with the idea that we always have to intervene when another country can't handle it's own shit. The suffering of the people in Zimbabwe is not something I'm comfortable with, don't get me wrong. But direct intervention (e.g. in the form of military action, etc) does not sit well with me either.
well the other ways haven't worked.. Surely military action is the last thing "on the list" that we are left to do?

My main issue that i grapple with is where do we draw the line... On what nations we need to "intervene " in. Zimbabwe? Burma? North Korea? New Zealand?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
kokodamonkey said:
well the other ways haven't worked.. Surely military action is the last thing "on the list" that we are left to do?

My main issue that i grapple with is where do we draw the line... On what nations we need to "intervene " in. Zimbabwe? Burma? North Korea? New Zealand?
I very much doubt that a military intervention in Zimbabwe would end well for anyone. I'm aware that no diplomatic action thus far has done much to help the situation but I can't see military operations making anything better either. I also tend to believe that nations are entitled to their independence in dealing with their own problems - I know many people would disagree with me, but to me the idea of sending in troops to "fix" Zimbabwe reeks of condescension. Like "hey, you blackies are too screwed up to save yourselves, let kind old father whitey fix it for you like good children". Melodrama there maybe, but you know what I'm saying.

As for the issue of drawing the line...I don't know. It's a difficult issue. I'd tend to say we shouldn't at all unless it's either asked for or it's clear that an intervention would be successful, preferably both.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Hey guys remember 5 years ago when another dictator was killing people and not holding real elections and crippling his nation's industry by being a lolcommunist

Invasion woo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)