UAC PREFERENCES HELP Pathways to Med goodkarmaforu (1 Viewer)

jason2kool

HSC
They only offer like 7 spots for transfer into medicine at uws adv medsci, so don't even bother champ.

Dylanamali

HSC
Firstly, you really need to ask yourself:
Is medicine the only course that I want, and will I do everything I can to achieve it.

In saying that, are you PURELY undertaking Med Sci and Sci courses as a means of one day transferring into medicine, or does a part of you have a potential desire to be a scientist?

IMO, first thing to do is not include the Bachelor of Science (Adv Sci) at UNSW into your list. This is a four year course and if your really seeking to do medicine you want the shortest course as possible (3 years) so that you can quickly graduate and enter into post graduate med.

Secondly, onto your concerns regarding which university to study at:
As an Adv Sci student, myself, at UWS, I would suggest UWS.
Sure the social side of UWS is definitely lacking IMO - but if your seeking to enter medicine (or by the end of the 3 year course, seeking to enter another highly competitive course e.g. JD at Usyd or UNSW) I'd definitely recommend UWS.

As Some Vunt correctly said - it is MUCH easier that UNSW.
This comes from first hand experience.. With absolutely minimal study, I managed to attain a 7.0 GPA first semester.. whilst my very intelligent friends seemingly struggled at UNSW Med Sci. At the end of the day, you want to graduate with the highest GPA as possible to increase your prospects at entering a postgraduate medicine course. Your best bet to do this would be UWS. There is no bell-curve system of grading at UWS, so the competition to attain a high GPA is DEFINITELY reduced.

However, along with that - in regards to the 6 places available.. it is highly competitive. I'd have to say that probably 95% of Adv Sci, Med Sci (Adv) or Nat Sci (Adv) are seeking to enter Medicine via this stream. HOWEVER, at the end of the day it is based on UMAT (as the threshold GPA is only 5.5). And students who would gain a interview position via there UMAT score regardless of the top 6 places are not counted.. so theoretically the top 6 places are given to students BELOW the UMAT cut off.

Another benefit of going to UWS is the 5k/year scholarship and also entry into the ASPIRE leadership program if you apply for it.

But yeah, all in all, I'd have to say that the BEST benefit is the "relative ease" of the course. First year Adv Sci at UWS is identical to regular Sci at UWS.. the Adv Sci component only kicks in 2nd and 3rd year and their only 1 unit research projects.
If you can finish your degree with a GPA >6.5 you will have a better chance at postgraduate medicine and it will reduce the GAMSAT mark required to enter some post graduate med courses. It will also provide you with a "back-up plan" to transfer into almost any other course, e.g. Juris Doctor.

**Another thing to note, is that to be eligible to receive the Academic Excellence Scholarship (5k/yr) you need to have UWS as your first preference.

Last edited:

Some Vunt

Banned
HSC
Is medicine the only course that I want, and will I do everything I can to achieve it.

In saying that, are you PURELY undertaking Med Sci and Sci courses as a means of one day transferring into medicine, or does a part of you have a potential desire to be a scientist?

IMO, first thing to do is not include the Bachelor of Science (Adv Sci) at UNSW into your list. This is a four year course and if your really seeking to do medicine you want the shortest course as possible (3 years) so that you can quickly graduate and enter into post graduate med.

Sure the social side of UWS is definitely lacking IMO - but if your seeking to enter medicine (or by the end of the 3 year course, seeking to enter another highly competitive course e.g. JD at Usyd or UNSW) I'd definitely recommend UWS.

This comes from first hand experience.. With absolutely minimal study, I managed to attain a 7.0 GPA first semester.. whilst my very intelligent friends seemingly struggled at UNSW Med Sci. At the end of the day, you want to graduate with the highest GPA as possible to increase your prospects at entering a postgraduate medicine course. Your best bet to do this would be UWS. There is no bell-curve system of grading at UWS, so the competition to attain a high GPA is DEFINITELY reduced.

However, along with that - in regards to the 6 places available.. it is highly competitive. I'd have to say that probably 95% of Adv Sci, Med Sci (Adv) or Nat Sci (Adv) are seeking to enter Medicine via this stream. HOWEVER, at the end of the day it is based on UMAT (as the threshold GPA is only 5.5). And students who would gain a interview position via there UMAT score regardless of the top 6 places are not counted.. so theoretically the top 6 places are given to students BELOW the UMAT cut off.

Another benefit of going to UWS is the 5k/year scholarship and also entry into the ASPIRE leadership program if you apply for it.

But yeah, all in all, I'd have to say that the BEST benefit is the "relative ease" of the course. First year Adv Sci at UWS is identical to regular Sci at UWS.. the Adv Sci component only kicks in 2nd and 3rd year and their only 1 unit research projects.
If you can finish your degree with a GPA >6.5 you will have a better chance at postgraduate medicine and it will reduce the GAMSAT mark required to enter some post graduate med courses. It will also provide you with a "back-up plan" to transfer into almost any other course, e.g. Juris Doctor.

**Another thing to note, is that to be eligible to receive the Academic Excellence Scholarship (5k/yr) you need to have UWS as your first preference.
!!!

But I don't know if you need to have UWS as first preference for the scholarship. I just thought you needed a 90+ ATAR and be a GWS student.

Dylanamali

HSC
!!!

But I don't know if you need to have UWS as first preference for the scholarship. I just thought you needed a 90+ ATAR and be a GWS student.
Check the UWS website, i'm quite certain it has to be first preference before UAC prohibits changes around early January. My friend got 94 and has GWS and didn't receive the scholarship - he had it as 3rd pref though.

HSC

Thanks so much. I am kind of confused about the UMAT thing with regards to the 6 spots, but no matter it can't have that much relevance now. It is hard to get past the face that it's UWS, I know people say it shouldn't matter and really I know it doesn't. F**k now I'm even more confused, maybe I should be UWS first so I can be eligible for the scholarship - decisions, decisions!

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
There are two people in my grade, that I know, who transferred from Adv. Sci at UWS. Both had GPAs of 7.0 so I would say that it is quite competitive. Goodluck

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
Those are only from the people I know (I'm pretty sure there are more that I don't know) but it seems you do need to do quite well.

Dylanamali

HSC
Those are only from the people I know (I'm pretty sure there are more that I don't know) but it seems you do need to do quite well.
The 6 spots set aside for the transfer are not based upon GPA..
the GPA acts as a threshold and is only 5.5.
So academically, it's not very competitive.
Students who meet the GPA requirement are ranked by UMAT.
So the UMAT is relatively competitive, but it will still be below the first round cut off.

HSC
The 6 spots set aside for the transfer are not based upon GPA..
the GPA acts as a threshold and is only 5.5.
So academically, it's not very competitive.
Students who meet the GPA requirement are ranked by UMAT.
So the UMAT is relatively competitive, but it will still be below the first round cut off.
Ah I see, so that means I'll have to do the UMAT next year. Tbh GAMSAT sounds easier.

Dylanamali

HSC
Ah I see, so that means I'll have to do the UMAT next year. Tbh GAMSAT sounds easier.
You didn't do UMAT this year???

Yeah of course - with almost every single undergraduate med school you have to do the UMAT..
I wouldn't say that the GAMSAT sounds easier... the competition may slightly decrease, but if you truly wanted to do Med I would do the UMAT and GAMSAT as many times as possible.

HSC
You didn't do UMAT this year???

Yeah of course - with almost every single undergraduate med school you have to do the UMAT..
I wouldn't say that the GAMSAT sounds easier... the competition may slightly decrease, but if you truly wanted to do Med I would do the UMAT and GAMSAT as many times as possible.
Honestly, i didn't have the money this year, my family's going thru heaps so couldn't do it. But should be right to do it next year, especially if I get in UWS try and get a transfer or something.

HSC
is there any other relevant courses I could beef out my preferences with? I need 2 more ugh.

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
Hi, If you do not gain admission into our MBBS program, Advanced Medical Science or our Advanced Science program, I would suggest you apply for any other degree at UWS - one that you feel confident you would perform well in, that interests you, and maybe would complement your future skills as a doctor (e.g. psych or social work, etc) - and study that course for a year. You could then reapply via UAC for our Medicine program. We would then use your GPA from that course and UMAT results to determine if you are eligible to be invited to an interview. For more information, please contact our Course Information Line on 1300 897 669 or on study@uws.edu.au. Best regards, UWS Course Info.

onytae

HSC
Uni Grad
why not just do well in the hsc? and what did u get for umat?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)