UAI contradiction (1 Viewer)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
From this site i have gathered that the rank of the school you attend plays a part in the calculation of your UAI. However, i received a letter from UAC with a pamphlet that explains how the UAI is calculated, one of the frequently asked questions was 'Does the school i attend matter' the answer was as follows:

'No. The school attended does nolt feature in the UAI calculation. The UAI calculation is based only on marks provided by the board;no other information is used.'

Could someone please explain this to me? I have an idea of how this could be but don't fully understand. Cheers

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Bump. C'mon guys, someones gotta know, usually people jump at the chance to put an ignorant in their place.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
-may-cat- said:
From this site i have gathered that the rank of the school you attend plays a part in the calculation of your UAI. However, i received a letter from UAC with a pamphlet that explains how the UAI is calculated, one of the frequently asked questions was 'Does the school i attend matter' the answer was as follows:

'No. The school attended does nolt feature in the UAI calculation. The UAI calculation is based only on marks provided by the board;no other information is used.'

Could someone please explain this to me? I have an idea of how this could be but don't fully understand. Cheers
Lol we never said the school has an impact on your UAI ? :s

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
-may-cat- said:
Bump. C'mon guys, someones gotta know, usually people jump at the chance to put an ignorant in their place.
hahaha

basically
school rank is simply an indication of the performance of your school in a given year. it's only relevant to the year for which it was calculated. as school ranks are calculated after we get our results, they have no bearing whatsoever on UAIs.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
fallenstar said:
hahaha

basically
school rank is simply an indication of the performance of your school in a given year. it's only relevant to the year for which it was calculated. as school ranks are calculated after we get our results, they have no bearing whatsoever on UAIs.
sooo, your school rank gives an indication of where your UAI may go, however it does not directly contribute to its calculation, yes? please bear with me here.

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
-may-cat- said:
sooo, your school rank gives an indication of where your UAI may go, however it does not directly contribute to its calculation, yes? please bear with me here.
you're right
it gives an indication based on last year's performance of your school. however it has no impact on the 2008 UAIs of your cohort.

hope that helped :)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
-may-cat- said:
The only effect school has is the ESTIMATION of your UAI on this website, it has no bearing otherwise.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Yes i see now where i got confused, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)