UAI Cut off For Med (1 Viewer)

Lukybear

HSC
In the UAC booklet it said the cutoff for UNSW Med was 95+. However to get into USYD Double Degree was something like 99.99.

What is it reali?

shaon0

HSC
Lukybear said:
In the UAC booklet it said the cutoff for UNSW Med was 95+. However to get into USYD Double Degree was something like 99.99.

What is it reali?
Yeah, UNSW is 95+ with a hectic UMAT score but most get 99.2+ UAI.
But USyd is 99.95+ without UMAT.

doink

Clone
HSC
depends on the university and in some cases your UMAT

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Lukybear said:

What is it reali?
For UNSW medicine both the median and mean UAIs for entry are 99+ from year to year. I am led to believe that they tend to be similar and often fall around 99.5 such that the majority of candidates making it into UNSW medicine have UAIs > 99.5.

A stellar UMAT score can get you in with a slightly lower UAI, but I suspect that most (if not all) students in the 95-98.00ish range are likely to be getting in on rural entry schemes, or thereabouts. It's fairly hard to determine how the interview factors in, though I'm sure it does.

lionking1191

HSC
KFunk said:
For UNSW medicine both the median and mean UAIs for entry are 99+ from year to year. I am led to believe that they tend to be similar and often fall around 99.5 such that the majority of candidates making it into UNSW medicine have UAIs > 99.5.

A stellar UMAT score can get you in with a slightly lower UAI, but I suspect that most (if not all) students in the 95-98.00ish range are likely to be getting in on rural entry schemes, or thereabouts. It's fairly hard to determine how the interview factor in, though I'm sure it does.
with a median around 99.5 it means exactly half gets over that mark while the rest doesn't :p

uai however only counts for 1/3 towards final weighting so that could be slightly misleading

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
lionking1191 said:
with a median around 99.5 it means exactly half gets over that mark while the rest doesn't :p

uai however only counts for 1/3 towards final weighting so that could be slightly misleading
Not quite, because you can count on having multiple people entering with a UAI of 99.5 (the generous reading of my post would be to take '>' as greater than or equal to - lazy notation I know - in which case the statement will generally be correct with a median of 99.5).

I'm not sure if 'misleading' is the right way to put it. Statements of median and mean UAI for entry give firm indications of UAI requirements. The relevant qualification, I suppose, is that they give an indication of the necessary, but not sufficient, conditions for entry.

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
I believe that the median UAI for those who got into UNSW last year (i.e. the median UAI for my year) was 99.7.

Indeed, the median UAI for the first year students in UWS this year was in excess of 99 (or so I have been told).

Last edited:
HSC
UWS med UAI is 93 for GWS residents and 95 for others. The median UAI for the 2008 cohort was 99.00. UMAT counted for a third and was somewhere around a 186 median. The remaining two thirds is from the interview.

UMAT score of around 186 would require a UAI of 98ish at UNSW.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
USyd only has like 10 places for Medicine from undergraduate level, which is why the UAI cut-off is ridiculously high. UNSW has a much higher enrolment cap. Most people who don't make it first time round usually enter eventually through postgraduate Medicine.

To give some glimmer of hope, a couple of people in my year got into UNSW Medicine with UAIs of 98+...:D

However, do keep in mind that the UAI cut-off doesn't necessarily mean that a UAI above the cut-off can get you into the course. I'd imagine the person with the lowest UAI who got accepted in UNSW would have done brilliantly in UMAT and the interview.

A lot of people will try to avoid UWS Medicine (despite it being slightly less competitive) because of the university's lack of prestige and international recognition. So if you really want to do Medicine and aren't really worried about which university you do it in, then UWS is a good option.

Last edited:

Zephyrio

HSC
UWS is a GREAT uni! Especially for medicine.

I fell in love with the campus when I went there for my interview. Seems so tight-knit, is close to home with a program that's incredibly innovative and fresh!

frostysnow

HSC
usyd - 99.95 combined with arts i think. 99.5 when combined with music (need to audition tho)

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
kevinx2 said:
UWS med UAI is 93 for GWS residents and 95 for others. The median UAI for the 2008 cohort was 99.00. UMAT counted for a third and was somewhere around a 186 median. The remaining two thirds is from the interview.

UMAT score of around 186 would require a UAI of 98ish at UNSW.
Where are you getting your information?

For some reason I cannot access the UWS website; Safari on the iPod is refusing to cooperate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)