• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

UAI cutoff worries (1 Viewer)

daveisb

HSC
Hi guys, I was just wondering if you could give me a bit of feedback and hopefully a bit of reassurance on my current situation.

What do you think my chances are on getting into DFEE Arts / law at Sydney with a UAI of 97.95. The 2006 cut off was 96.85, however it was 98.15 the year before that which makes me slightly worried. Should I be worried? Or am I just being overly paranoid?

Thank you for any replies!

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
I would say 97.95 is pretty safe for DFEE.
If not, you can always come to UTS and transfer.
With your determination of getting into USYD (paying possibly 100grants and all..), I am sure you can work hard to get D-average.

daveisb

HSC
Thanks mitsui, that makes me feel somewhat better, hehe :)

And Jessica, a DFEE is where you pay the full tuition fee for the uni course, so in a sense I guess it's pretty much bribing the universities to get in. The benefits of this is that you can get into a course for a few points below the cut off, anywhere from 1-5 points.

ace

is retired
HSC
Jessica_00 said:
Q: what a DFEE?
What is 'full fee-paying domestic undergraduate'? (DFEE)

Students in an undergraduate full fee-paying (Dfee) place incur higher tuition fees than students in
Commonwealth supported places (CSP).

If you enrol in a Dfee place you are required to pay the full amount of the Dfee tuition fees up-front, with no discount, by the census date. Dfee tuition fees are fixed for the calendar year, are reviewed annually, and may increase.

Enrolled Dfee students who are Australian citizens or the holders of permanent humanitarian visas may request Commonwealth assistance to pay for their tuition fees via FEE-HELP. However, a Commonwealth Government 20% loan fee is applicable on top of your tuition fees.

Note: certificate and advanced certificates (eg Dance Teaching) are non-award courses. Such programs are not covered by FEE-HELP.

Information from; http://www.studentservices.qut.edu.au/apply/ug/info/dfee.jsp

Jessica_00 said:
and isn't Law at USYD like 99.7?
With DFEE the UAI requirement is slightly lower. It's seen as some as "buying a degree" to others "an opportunity".

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
DFEE means 'Domestic Fee'.

It just means that you're paying the full amount of tuition for your degree annually as oppposed to CSP (Commonwealth Supported Place) which is when the government subsidises your uni fees and you just have to pay a small contribution (otherwise known as HECS).

For most courses, there is seperate CSP and DFEE UAI cut-offs. CSP UAI cut-offs are usually higher than DFEE cut-offs. So basically, you'll be able to get in to a high UAI-cutoff course with a lower UAI if you can afford to pay the full tuition fees each year.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
daveisb said:
Thanks mitsui, that makes me feel somewhat better, hehe :)

And Jessica, a DFEE is where you pay the full tuition fee for the uni course, so in a sense I guess it's pretty much bribing the universities to get in. The benefits of this is that you can get into a course for a few points below the cut off, anywhere from 1-5 points.
No worries. :)
Hopefully I will see you in 2nd year.

daveisb

HSC
Oh are you planning to transfer to Sydney? In that case, I wish you all the best! It would be very cool to meet someone from BoS.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
I have to work my butt off to get a transfer. Haha. Finger crossed.

@Jessica - money does come handy sometimes. LOL

rockets

HSC
N/A
Did you all read in today's paper that there has been a big increase in domestic full fee applications this year! This is a real bummer to csp applicants as uni's are very much cashed strapped and will go for the full fee paying applicants.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
I think the DFEE applicants will increase anyway, seeing Australia (as a whole) has never been richer and care about education.

It does suck knowing some can get in while others have to choose a different path.

But I thought they set quotas for DFEE and CSP seperately? or is DFEE and CSP competing for the same number of places?

daveisb

HSC
Hmm, I thought there was only a set amount of places that a university could assign to a DFEE place. If that's the case, that only means one thing... more competition! :haha:

Which paper did you read it in?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Thats correct, there are quotas for both, its just there is a bigger quota that has been given for DFEE than was previously, not that its bigger than CSP places. Its still very strictly monitored, so I don't know what rockets is on about.

daveisb

HSC
Argh, now I have a craving for snakes.

But back on topic, do you think this will mean that the cut offs for DFEE courses will rise due to increased demand? Or will the extra spots negate this somewhat?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
rockets said:
Did you all read in today's paper that there has been a big increase in domestic full fee applications this year! This is a real bummer to csp applicants as uni's are very much cashed strapped and will go for the full fee paying applicants.
But the uni's keep the same number of hecs places regardless, and dfee places supplement hecs places by compensating for their cost.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
mitsui said:
I think the DFEE applicants will increase anyway, seeing Australia (as a whole) has never been richer and care about education.

It does suck knowing some can get in while others have to choose a different path.

But I thought they set quotas for DFEE and CSP seperately? or is DFEE and CSP competing for the same number of places?
But if those "some" didn't get in then there would be even less HECS places available, so the community as a whole would be absolutely worse off.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
Yea that was wat I mean, like the CSP places is seperate and sometimes depend on the number of DFEE to support uni financially. I think that is wat happened to commerce last yr, not sure.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
daveisb said:
Argh, now I have a craving for snakes.

But back on topic, do you think this will mean that the cut offs for DFEE courses will rise due to increased demand? Or will the extra spots negate this somewhat?
If the demand outweighs the supply then cut-offs will rise, if supply outweighs demand then cut-offs will drop. So it really depends on the popularity of a course.

daveisb

HSC
Ah, in that case... what about a course like law at Sydney? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)