UAI or 1st year results for Transfer - confirmations (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Mein said:
My UAI for last year was 99.45
these are the only words i can see. it amazes me why ppl choose maths over law?

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Minai said:
(Check the On the topic of Transfers thread for details of how to work everything out)

Your current GPA in UAC terms (assuming your 4 subjects were the same credit point value) is 4.75 (exact Credit average being 5.0, distinction 6.0 etc)
This 4.75 translates into a score of 88 (so far from 1 semester)

Taking your UAI into account, you'd have an NRSL rank of 93.725...which basically means you'd be way off a transfer to UNSW law (recent cutoffs for transfers have been NRSL's of 95.8+)

Unfortunately, they dont take diffuclty of your degree into account, just the marks, and even though your UAI could be greater than the actual cutoff, your 1st year marks would drag this down. It's unfair, and somewhat funny that if you did easy subjects rather than Actuarial ones, you might've got better marks to transfer
wats teh NRSL cutoff for UNSW commerce??

Mein

HSC
N/A
**** if that's true I'll be pretty cut. Especially since I got into university with a scholarship and the full works.

How much a year can change everything. If you ask me though, that's so unfair. Looks like I'll be stuck in this bloody course.

these are the only words i can see. it amazes me why ppl choose maths over law?
Well Actuarial studies is a highly regarded degree. Most people would agree that it is probably the hardest degree offered by universities. Whilst it may be financially rewarding in the future, I really don't want to have to stick with it, since I find it largely uninteresting.

Is there any other way you can be considered for transfer. Like an interview or something? If universities aren't willing to even consider your past accademic record and instead base it on a year of work in which the candidate may have not been able to relate to, the system is ridiculous.

The hypocricy lies in the fact that, even with my current marks, I can continue doing the course I am currently enrolled in (which had a higher UAI cut off than law), yet I can't transfer into the different course.

I'm sure that if you spoke to a university advisor from the uni you are trying to transfer into, that they would consider the difficultly of your course.

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, USyd and UNSW are strict with their entry requirements being "academic only" through UAC, but I know UTS is flexible, as they have an additional requirement of a personal statement in which to 'state your case' so to speak.

And yes, the system is unfair in that respect I agree, but I guess it stems from the fact that to them, you're just another person out of the thousands that try to get into these elite law degrees every year

Oh btw, have you considered Law at your own uni? Macquarie has perhaps the most flexible transfer system, I've heard you can get into anything with a credit average?

Last edited:

matt#1

HSC
N/A
I've heard that UWS also has a flexible "internal transfer scheme" which allows you to get into any course of your choice provided that you can attain a credit average...I wish Sydney was that flexible...

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I only got a UAI of 75.4 when I did the HSC, yet I was offered a position in the BA (Informatics). I had chosen to remain with my offer to the BMus (Comp.). I'm hoping that they will consider the fact that they've offered me a place in the Arts program previously, and that I've completed two reasonably good years in the more advanced music degree, but the fact that the USYD method of admissions is largely automatic, based purely on numbers, I'll probably lose out to some new first year students.

deviation

HSC
Is it a rule of thumb that you must complete at least 1 year of uni to have the 50/50 weighting of UAI and uni grades? otherwise it is 100% UAI?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
deviation said:
Is it a rule of thumb that you must complete at least 1 year of uni to have the 50/50 weighting of UAI and uni grades? otherwise it is 100% UAI?
yes, if you don't complete one full year of uni, they'll assess only UAI if you apply to transfer

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Minai said:
yes, if you don't complete one full year of uni, they'll assess only UAI if you apply to transfer
But , how will this work if a person got say, 90UAI, no uni grades, and reapplys through UAC a year later for a course at 95 ?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
UAI cutoffs for Year 12 leavers are different to cutoffs for "Non-recent school leavers"

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Katie123 said:
y are there so many ways to do these things...cant it be universal?
If that happens, things will become unfair I guess

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
minai,

My uai = 91.05, gpa = 2.75 (1d, 4 crs, 3 p's)

and i got a offer b comm at unsw ! :eek:

I thought this was impossible !!

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
MAIN ROUND OFFER: 426000 - Combined Law at UNSW

STATISTICS

GPA: 5.68
WAM: 75.45
2003 UAI: 99.10
NRSL: 96.05

2004 YR12 HECS CUTOFF:

USYD: 99.6
UNSW: 99.35
UTS (Bus/Law): 98.50

2005 YR12 HECS CUTOFF:

USYD: 99.6
UNSW: 99.15
UTS (Bus/Law): 97.50

is there a decline in demand for law? :p

my eternal gratitude to the Gods of Supply-and-Demand for keeping me nervous and surprised to the very end... :D

sHin

Frigid,
Why are you transferring to UNSW? Is there anything wrong with BUS/LAW@UTS?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
sHin said:
Frigid,
Why are you transferring to UNSW? Is there anything wrong with BUS/LAW@UTS?
sHin,
there is absolutely nothing wrong with BizLaw at UTS... please don't misunderstand my intentions.

my transfer was solely because of personal reasons, just catching up with all my friends etc... :D

yes i know that is a superficial reason.

evil99

HSC
but

Frigid said:
sHin,
there is absolutely nothing wrong with BizLaw at UTS... please don't misunderstand my intentions.

my transfer was solely because of personal reasons, just catching up with all my friends etc... :D

yes i know that is a superficial reason.
UTS is not bad, my shanghai friend

ace

is retired
HSC
Grizzly said:
minai,

My uai = 91.05, gpa = 2.75 (1d, 4 crs, 3 p's)

and i got a offer b comm at unsw ! :eek:

I thought this was impossible !!
your translated nsrl rank is 89.525.

and you got in, WTF!!!

my nrsl rank is 90.625, and i got declined.

THIS IS BULLSHIT!

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
ace said:
your translated nsrl rank is 89.525.

my nrsl rank is 90.625, and i got declined.

THIS IS BULLSHIT!
time to ring and verbally assault the good folks at FCE :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)