UAI or 1st year results for Transfer - confirmations (1 Viewer)

EdmondDW

HSC
Has anyone considered it is much easier to get a higher mark in UTS ot UWS compared with UNSW and Usyd?

ademayd

HSC
does USYD take the better of your UAI or GPA as well when transferring for your second year???

anyone know :confused:

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Has anyone considered it is much easier to get a higher mark in UTS ot UWS compared with UNSW and Usyd?
Thats true at UTS in that marks for most subjects (with the exception of some law ones I believe) aren't scaled to a bell curve.

But not that the courses are 'easier'. Every uni covers the same shit sooner or later.

inhinyero

HSC
Thanks to another forum member emailing UNSW's admissions unit (which should apply to all other uni's as it is a UAC matter anyway), if you DONT complete 1 year of full time uni study, then your application to transfer will count only your UAI. Hopefully this guy knows what he's talking about

Dear x,

If you wish to transfer to a different degree in Semester 1, 2005 you will apply through UAC for undergraduate study in August/September this year.

In terms of how your application will be assessed, your new admissions rank will be a combination of your UAI and your grade point average from at least ONE complete year of full time tertiary study. So if you withdrew from your degree after one Semester, your admissions rank for entrance to university next year would simply be your UAI. You could also defer from your current course in order to avoid completing one year of full time study, however usually first year students aren't permitted to defer. This is something you would have to discuss with your school/faculty.

If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards
Will
UNSW Admissions Office

I am a full-time uni student of Electrical engineering (already on my 3rd yr) but this coming September my family and i would be migrating in Sydney and i still want to continue my uni degree when i get there. so what are the academic requirements i MUST have when i get there for me to enroll in your uni?

bksama

HSC
Hey guys im Currently in B Business and Commerce. And im planning to xfer to UTS B Business or B Business/ B IT. If i do get accpeted after xfering would i get 1 year advanced standing as my previous course is relevant/compatible with what im going to do at uts?

uac.aplcnt

HSC
If you apply in the middle of your first year with no prior tertiary record UAC will only use your UAI as your semester results will not be released in time. However, if you defer after completing one semester that semester's marks will still count because the marks are available for consideration.
That is real...interesting...really. But would it be a disadvantage if a person did half a year and got good marks as opposed to a person who did one year and got good marks? (Supposing both persons had the same ATAR?)

uac.aplcnt

HSC
it could go both ways? so not necessarily disadvantage nor an advantage
If you are right dd24...this meanss then..

A) The person who did 1/2 a year of full time study in the Autumn session (First half year) and deferred his course for half a year and re-applies through UAC in a fresh year because he wanted to do a different course - didn't need to go to uni for the extra half a year like person B (Which will be mentioned after this) and still got into his new desired course! (Since we're assuming person a/b have the same UAI/ATAR and the same GPA/WAM AVERAGE...only difference is person A did less units/subjects as person B)

oh and also assuming that both did the same major and degree...

B) The person (B) who did a full year (Both autumn/spring sessions) and did NOT defer his course but just wanted to transfer or change his degree/major like person A the same year as person A is intending to transfer courses and got into his new desired course as well...assuming that he has the exact same GPA/WAM average (Which is possible still) as person A and the exact same UAI/ATAR as the first person...in effect then, person B has spent 6 months or 1/2 a year for nothing since he could've dropped out and have half a gap year like person A...

I have to continue this in the next post..I'm not finished

Last edited:

uac.aplcnt

HSC
Person A would've been better off then......

HOWEVER..I dont know the every single know-how on what different institutions/uni's accept students as a transfer and the LENGTH in which a person who wants to transfer has to stay at University to be successful in transferring to another course at another institution/ the same institution or whatever.

I only vaguely know some institutions POLICIES regarding an allowable transfer to be done.

Here they are (correct me if I'm wrong if you want cuz i'm not sure):

UNSW - They allow 1/2 a year transfers BUT they will only use peoples ATAR into account...They allow only 1 year of EFTSL or full time study THEN they WILL consider both tertiary results/ ATAR into consideration for a possible transfer to take place.

So the thing I am probably trying to learn right now in the beggining of my post in this thread is useless for UNSW..

However

Macquarie Uni - They allow 1/2 year transferring students who went to uni for that long with no prior tertiary record and will take into account both ATAR and GPA/WAM marks into consideration for all Macquarie courses (effective 2010) and also allow full year fulltime study load (EFTSL) for transfers if the student so desires..I think this also will let them consider both tertiary and HSC results in consideration.

I'm not sure about USYD or UTS but I think there both the same as UNSW since there reputable..

Last edited:

rahul-blade007

HSC
N/A
Ok, I have a transfer question and I m seriously tripping here -

Original Degree - Mechanical Engineering @ UWS

Transfer - Mechanical Engineering @ UNSW

Cut Off - 91.00

GPA - 5.1

ATAR - 60.75 (yes, that's terrible)

Extra - SCATS Application (Successful)

So, do I have a slight chance or no chance?

-- Important Thing - I asked UNSW twice about transfer - 1st time this girl said aim for a GPA of 4.7 and above. 2nd time the guy said a GPA of 5.2 is competitive.

uac.aplcnt

HSC
rahul...your not in the right thread..post a new thread about "chances of being accepted into unsw" please...-_-

rahul-blade007

HSC
N/A
rahul...your not in the right thread..post a new thread about "chances of being accepted into unsw" please...-_-
sorry man, I just saw some guys asking about transfer so that's why I thought I ll get a quick reply. Now that I have already asked, could you please tell me if I have a chance? I just wanna know in brief. Thanks

uac.aplcnt

HSC
Hey..what happened dd24? why del your post? lol..

also..rahul..i srsly dont know...new thread please..its ok man, it'd be nice to del yourr post too in ere

You there to reply back dd24? Or is anyone here to confirm with me on my discovery? lol...

hu5sla

HSC
Hi guys!
I completed HSC in 2009 with a crap ATAR
Done TAFE for 2 years - Diploma in Accounting
Now completed UWS 1st years
And now I want to transfer to UTS Business

Would they use my ATAR or GPA?
Thanks?

clankela

HSC
Hi I completed first year CIVIL @UOW in 2013, now got offer @UNSW through UAC. Just want to know any one who transferred from UOW to UNSW in Engg previously, as 1st year subjects same in all engineering branches, is UNSW will give credit for all 8 subjects we completed at UOW? . The following subjects I completed at UOW, please let me know their equalent at UNSW.

UOW subject
CHEM103 Intro Chemistry For Eng
ENGG101 Foundations Engineering
ENGG153 Engineering Materials
MATH141 Engineering Mathematics
ENGG152 Engineering Mechanics
ENGG154 Eng Design & Innovation
MATH142 Essentials Eng Maths
PHYS143 Physics For Engineers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)