3U--> 47
4U--> 47

and this year i will do:
Bio
Geog
Ext. Music
and Philosophy Distinction course.

Is over 98 possible or am i dreaming?
thats a stupid question of course you have a CHANCE of getting it , you can get anything from 30 to 100, its how you apply yourself throughout the year.

grimreaper

HSC
considering I got 98.2 with an advanced english mark of 83, I'd say its very possible

Captain pi

HSC
demosthenes said:
Can i get a uai of over 98?
Have done English as an accelerant-
2U--> 92
3U--> 47
4U--> 47

and this year i will do:
Bio
Geog
Ext. Music

Evening fellow philosopher, :)

You are obviously good at English, this will help your Philosophy mark.

As for the completed courses, for your information, these are the approximate scaled marks, as inferred from Table A3:

Advanced : 88
Extension 1 : 46
Extension 2 : 45

Giving an aggregate of (approximately): 179. If you kept on going like that, you'd receive a total aggregate of 448/500 which would put you in the 99s.

I had a friend who did Philosophy in 2003; she accelerated in SDD and she, like you, completed Extension 2 with pretty similar marks (I think 91; 47; 46). She received a UAI of 98.95 and the scaling for the English courses was pretty much the same in 2003 as 2004 for English.
She also studied Mathematics (Extension 1), Chemistry and SDD. We have quite a good mathematics school, so her marks would have been high in that subject.

You are definitely capable of a 98; just have fun with your subjects.

See you on Saturday!

Love,

pi.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
demosthenes said:
Can i get a uai of over 98?
Have done English as an accelerant-
2U--> 92
3U--> 47
4U--> 47

and this year i will do:
Bio
Geog
Ext. Music

I got 86 in advanced English and managed 98.10...

Dragonschik

grimreaper said:
considering I got 98.2 with an advanced english mark of 83, I'd say its very possible
Wow, that makes me feel so much better I am afraid my advance english mark will be around 80 and pull everything down.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Dragonschik said:
Wow, that makes me feel so much better I am afraid my advance english mark will be around 80 and pull everything down.
Although that's no reason to reject English.
Suppose you get 98.5 with 85 in English, why not put in that little bit more work each day (even 30 minutes) and get a 90 in English - you'd end up with a UAI of close to 99, if not 99+.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
jt. said:
yes definitely
I echo.
Use SAM - it'll give you a much more detailed idea of things. and there are so many of these types of threads here.

7minute

HSC
It definately looks like you're on track. SAM is very useful: I used it last year to get an idea of what kind of UAI I was looking at.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
It's quite difficult to estimate a UAI by isolating English marks alone. I can see a couple of people who have posted Band 5 English marks and who got UAIs of 98, 99 - but they did extraordinarily well in Maths (i.e. acmilan and grimreaper)...I don't mean to discourage anyone, but performance in one subject is no way indicative of a student's performance in other subjects and thus no indication of their potential UAI.

mz_purfect

Pedantic Perfectionist
A paradoxical world where innocents suffer n crims
HSC
Hmm by the looks of it demosthenes, the likelihood of attaining a 98+ Uai is quite good particularly if you continue to acheive similar marks. However if you can put in a tiny bit of additional effort then you can definitely get 99+. Rench is right, you must try and do well in most of your subjects. I myself got a 94 in Eng, and very high marks in X1 and X2 Eng and got a UAI around 98-ish. Btw, good luck mate! :)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
mz_purfect said:
Hmm by the looks of it demosthenes, the likelihood of attaining a 98+ Uai is quite good particularly if you continue to acheive similar marks. However if you can put in a tiny bit of additional effort then you can definitely get 99+. Rench is right, you must try and do well in most of your subjects. I myself got a 94 in Eng, and very high marks in X1 and X2 Eng and got a UAI around 98-ish. Btw, good luck mate! :)
Did you enjoy Advanced English? I've heard a lot of Ext 2 students complain about the lack of substance in the Advanced course and hence they often stuff it up somewhere along the line.
I only do Ext 1, but I actually like Advanced more...and I'm wondering how I could get mark such as yours (i.e. 94) :) (any tips?)

mz_purfect

Pedantic Perfectionist
A paradoxical world where innocents suffer n crims
HSC
Well, apparently I loved X2 Eng particulalrly my major work. My second fave was X1 Eng. I can understand why some people would loathe Adv Eng. Frankly, I myself didnt enjoy Adv that much (this was more because I always thought I could teach somewhat better than my Eng teachers rather than the lack of substance in the subject). I think it was 2 weeks prior to the Eng exams that I actually ENJOYED writing essays on the Adv Modules. And it was then I realsied that these topics are PRETTY interesting. How did I get the marks you ask, well I have never had a tutor in my life, it was all practice, practice and PRACTICE not to mention the ability to look at things from the marker's perspectives.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
mz_purfect said:
Well, apparently I loved X2 Eng particulalrly my major work. My second fave was X1 Eng. I can understand why some people would loathe Adv Eng. Frankly, I myself didnt enjoy Adv that much (this was more because I always thought I could teach somewhat better than my Eng teachers rather than the lack of substance in the subject). I think it was 2 weeks prior to the Eng exams that I actually ENJOYED writing essays on the Adv Modules. And it was then I realsied that these topics are PRETTY interesting. How did I get the marks you ask, well I have never had a tutor in my life, it was all practice, practice and PRACTICE not to mention the ability to look at things from the marker's perspectives.
I'll definitely take heed of your advice...I think the latter piece of advice would be the most important i.e. see thing's from the marker's perspective. Actually, on that note, I have small writing (maybe 8-9 words/line) and so a standard essay might only consume 3/4 of an exam booklet - should I write larger (~5-6 words/line) to "expand" my essays to at least 1 booklet? Would this make a difference as to how markers perceive my essays? (Note: I'm aiming for ~94 in Adv.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)