uai (1 Viewer)

porge

sorry, you've missed me
HSC
N/A
i dunno if this is the proper place for this to go or not, if not then just move it.

about how much fluctuation is their generally in uai's?
im interested in health and sport science at unsw and atm its only an 85 which is good
but i know demand makes it higher.. its only relatively new and im hoping itll remain where it is
any ideas?

Uncouth

HSC
N/A
As there really isn't a definate and universal answer with regards to the fluctuation of UAI requirements, you will have to look at trends - the UAI needed for entry into a bachelor of science had increased dramatically last year, if I recall correctly, and you might expect it to increase more next year.

I only have the UAC guide for 2004, but health and sport science actually dropped 3 UAI for entry into the course this year. I guess it would be safe to assume around the same requirements for next year as well, but you can never be too sure...

santaslayer

HSC
Fluctuations in UAI usually result from fluctuations in the job market industry. Take for example the IT bubble burst, the IT/Ccomputer related courses were at an all time low. :)

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
I thought it depended on the demand for the course ... :confused:

Generator

HSC
N/A
And the level of 'head-up-your-arse' sentiment present within the university (e.g., USyd back in 2002).

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
christ_ine said:
I thought it depended on the demand for the course ... :confused:
And what does the demand for the course depend on? :p

porge

sorry, you've missed me
HSC
N/A
so im probably ok to remain with an aim around 86?

Abide

Wie gehts?
HSC
N/A
for what youre doing I tend to agree with uncut more. I don't think it had been affected by demand any so it should be around the same

but yeah, that doesn't stop you from attempting to achieve a much high mark. :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Er... the BSc cutoff dropped to a local minimum last year (80.00). Trends can be misleading. The UAI cutoff really is governedby student demand. You see, what happens is the university sets a certain number of places for any given course. Then they look at the top bunch of people who applied for this course and offer that amount of places. The UAI cutoff is then defined as the UAI of the "lowest" person to get in without any alternative consideration. So, really, the UAI of the last man through the door becomes the published cutoff. If the course is in high demand then the number of high-quality candidates increases, meaning the cutoff increases (think UNSW Law), while if the demand drops, less high-end candidates apply and the cutoff drops (look at IT and Software Engineering trends over the last few years).

Generator

HSC
N/A
You also have to take into account the number of mature age students, whether the university feels that a certain course requires a minimum uai regardless of the lowest uai with reference to quotas, etc.

Also, just remember that the cut-off need not be the actual uai needed for a particular course. For some courses (advanced science was the example used in another thread) you may enter with a lower uai than the one published (be it for no reason at all or for meeting other requirements).

In other words, it is not as simple as supply and demand, so do not sit back and cruise if you are unsure. I cruised and was lucky to be just above the new cut-off for my degree combination back in USyd's great UAI hike of 2002. Nobody should take a risk like that.

MoNNiE

HSC
job perspectives within industry influence a trend within courses people tend to choose for university.
tis true, the growth within the IT industry has depreciated. as to my knowledge there is an over supply of workers. As a result of this, there has been a decline with applications to enter IT as a course in University, thus as it has been observed,the UAI for the course decreases.

keep in mind the amount of positions the university is offering students, can affect the rising or lowering of the uai of that course.

my advice to you is to aim a few points higher then the UAi displayed at present courses uai's for that year ending can rise several points!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)