UBS Cadetship (1 Viewer)

powlmao

Banned
HSC
i second that :)

Btw powlmao, what did you decide on the cadetship? worth it or not
I decided it isn't so much worth it.

I want to enjoy university life and finish my degree in the normal time. Also I have considered doing Honours, and hence doing a cadetship wouldn't be so great..

Since I have a job already, I want to try to do the more financial work in it- Though it isn't the same as a cadetship, doing this will allow me to retain the flexibility of my job.

I also have recieved mixed opinions from co-workers whose friends have had a cadetship, one says its terrible and really is stressful, one says its worth it if you can manage it.

However, despite my honest poinion that i can manage it, i don't think it suits me, i would rather enjoy uni life and ddo interimships from year to year. Also i want to do honours

Again, thankyou everyone.

HSC
I decided it isn't so much worth it.

I want to enjoy university life and finish my degree in the normal time. Also I have considered doing Honours, and hence doing a cadetship wouldn't be so great..

Since I have a job already, I want to try to do the more financial work in it- Though it isn't the same as a cadetship, doing this will allow me to retain the flexibility of my job.

I also have recieved mixed opinions from co-workers whose friends have had a cadetship, one says its terrible and really is stressful, one says its worth it if you can manage it.

However, despite my honest poinion that i can manage it, i don't think it suits me, i would rather enjoy uni life and ddo interimships from year to year. Also i want to do honours

Again, thankyou everyone.
do you mind me asking what where you work?
what degree are you looking to study?

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I work at BIG W. the finance stuff is more admin work (aligning pay. Etc)

I want to do either

Economics and commerces (double degree) at UNSW

Economics and Applied finance (Double degree ) at Macquarie

Economics and Arts (majoring in commerces for arts) at USYD

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Generally you wont be doing a cadetship studying Com/Law because the firms usually won't allow and your marks difference as shown above is in the same range (distinction) anyway. By good marks, I mean a HD average (85+). There are many jobs these days in banking and finance which take people from all sorts of disciplines and backgrounds (so not just Commerce or Law students) but generally all they want is a HD average).
I think it's worth clarifying that you're describing the upper echelons of banking or finance jobs in front office roles. That being said given the market I wouldn't be surprised if the employers started using the WAM as another culling point for the limited roles being offered in the short term in the back or mid office.

Ps congrats to powlmao for getting a cadetship and being able to decide that it wasn't for him based on everything considered.

HSC
is a HD average really necessary in com/law? thats a pretty high bar

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I think it's worth clarifying that you're describing the upper echelons of banking or finance jobs in front office roles. That being said given the market I wouldn't be surprised if the employers started using the WAM as another culling point for the limited roles being offered in the short term in the back or mid office.

Ps congrats to powlmao for getting a cadetship and being able to decide that it wasn't for him based on everything considered.
I didn't actually get a contract, I got an interview. But managed to get pass the hard stages.

But some BoSers have kindly told me more about the cadetship and its conditions. As such I've decided it wouldn't of suited me, Especially since I am keen to do a double degree and potentially honours.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Drepends on what job you want. Given the relative number of clerkships offered each year vs. the size of the cohort, the law firms do have a lot of apples to choose from.

runnable

HSC
If you do Comm Law at say a Go8. I reckon a decent D would be okay. I know plenty of people with those grades getting top law clerkships.

princezeekat

HSC
Not first round interviews
Oh okay, it's just that my friend and I received the exact same information in the location and date for the interview so we just assumed it was a group interview. Thanks for clearing that up!

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Oh okay, it's just that my friend and I received the exact same information in the location and date for the interview so we just assumed it was a group interview. Thanks for clearing that up!
There isn't going to be one person who interviews everyone you know.

When was it?

At themoment i konw of 12 different dates of peoples interviews, so there isn't going tobe 12 different group interviews,

Obviously, there are going to be multiple people directing the interview

HSC
how were everyones interviews today for those that had?

iMAN2

HSC
N/A
In my UBS interview, the interviewer asked me if I was sitting the UMAT test and applying for medicine. Caught me off guard.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)