UMAT scores (1 Viewer)

hvf26

Awesome Member
HSC
I'm just curious as to what others score while doing practice papers for UMAT (from face2face or medentry)
so, what do you guys usually score in the sections?

whoisthis

HSC
N/A
just a disclaimer, take these percentiles seriously with a grain of salt. the real scores vary way too much. some people i know who got like 95%ile in every practice test ended up getting low 70's-80's in the real test, which is strange considering you would expect the medentry cohort to be much smarter on the whole than the overall umat cohort.

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
just a disclaimer, take these percentiles seriously with a grain of salt. the real scores vary way too much. some people i know who got like 95%ile in every practice test ended up getting low 70's-80's in the real test, which is strange considering you would expect the medentry cohort to be much smarter on the whole than the overall umat cohort.
really??

whoisthis

HSC
N/A
hmmmmm well not necessarily

it depends who the actual person is and wat TYPE of person wud go to medentry..
not to say it doesn't have it's fair share of scrubs tho lol. medentry prep workshop had sooo many idiots who couldn't grasp the simplest concepts. tbh i thought prep was a waste of time as the most i found it did for me was familiarise myself with the types of q's.

plenty of people in this world who have really good work ethic but unfortunately lack any sense of inherent ability. sad truth of the umat. :(

on topic, i would post my percentiles if i could remember them. they were considerably lower than my actual umat score however.

mmkardart

Med/Dent Interview Helper
HSC
N/A
Hey Guys,

The two main UMAT Prep courses are MedEntry and f2f - which I found helpful. There's others like NIE and Icarus, however, many feel these are less effective.

In regards to MedEntry's 2 day course - the Mock Exam is helpful sure, but why pay so much just to see your place against others on that particular day? They mention the inclusion of Mock Interviews but to be honest, it will be very unlikely that you get to speak or express your interview responses; for me, it was simply the presenter picking out a few volunteers who answered one or two questions in front of hundred or so people in the lecture room.

Just my 2c :)

hvf26

Awesome Member
HSC
not to say it doesn't have it's fair share of scrubs tho lol. medentry prep workshop had sooo many idiots who couldn't grasp the simplest concepts. tbh i thought prep was a waste of time as the most i found it did for me was familiarise myself with the types of q's.

plenty of people in this world who have really good work ethic but unfortunately lack any sense of inherent ability. sad truth of the umat. :(

on topic, i would post my percentiles if i could remember them. they were considerably lower than my actual umat score however.
hmm i see, so theres no real way to gauge how well youre going to go (even if youre consistent?) in the actual umat?

when you did the test, were the prep materials you did of the same or of similar difficulty to the actual umat?

i just wanted to know what others are scoring in the prac papers just to see where i stand on things haha

hvf26

Awesome Member
HSC
seriously? 95 percentile? hmm maybe they felt the pressure on the day or something...

whoisthis

HSC
N/A
hmm i see, so theres no real way to gauge how well youre going to go (even if youre consistent?) in the actual umat?

when you did the test, were the prep materials you did of the same or of similar difficulty to the actual umat?

i just wanted to know what others are scoring in the prac papers just to see where i stand on things haha
don't get me wrong, prep percentiles certainly show a correlation but i found that mine fluctuated greatly.

as for the difficulty of the actual umat compared to prep, it really depends on the section and the year of the umat. although i did the umat in 08, a particularly good example is last year's (09). i had a lot of friends sitting the umat last year and they said sec 2 was the real killer, much harder than the prep material but sec 1 and 3 were considerably easier.

however, in my year i found the prep material to be quite a bit easier than the actual umat. but i still did better in the actual umat so yeah, there's so much variance it's hard to really measure.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Isn't the only variiation the fact that raw scores give higher percentiles in the real UMAT than in the Medentry ones?

I mean a score of 65 in Section 1 last year was on the 98th percentile but a score of 65 in Medentry papers was like the 60th percentile.

Flying_Penis

Banned
HSC
Isn't the only variiation the fact that raw scores give higher percentiles in the real UMAT than in the Medentry ones?

I mean a score of 65 in Section 1 last year was on the 98th percentile but a score of 65 in Medentry papers was like the 60th percentile.
Ok, ill tell you it as clear as it can be said.
Your percentile on med entry, will be harsh. And if you're getting 70 percentile + consistantly under time your going well. BUT, you are doing well in a cosey, un stressfull environment, where countless people go over the time limit. IF you can repeat the good marks your getting in med entry, in the actual exam you will do well, but in ALOT of cases, it doesnt.. and your fucked.

whoisthis

HSC
N/A
Ok, ill tell you it as clear as it can be said.
Your percentile on med entry, will be harsh. And if you're getting 70 percentile + consistantly under time your going well. BUT, you are doing well in a cosey, un stressfull environment, where countless people go over the time limit. IF you can repeat the good marks your getting in med entry, in the actual exam you will do well, but in ALOT of cases, it doesnt.. and your fucked.
word

but yeah my own umat scores were quite a bit higher than my medentry percentiles so i'm not really one to judge. common sense would suggest the medentry cohort is smarter than the actual umat cohort but the fact that time limits aren't enforced and ppl are doing it in a favourable environment probably evens it out (or even takes it further the other way).

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
word

but yeah my own umat scores were quite a bit higher than my medentry percentiles so i'm not really one to judge. common sense would suggest the medentry cohort is smarter than the actual umat cohort but the fact that time limits aren't enforced and ppl are doing it in a favourable environment probably evens it out (or even takes it further the other way).
i still wudnt be 100% sure of this one

Dream Meteor

HSC
I agree that MedEntry students GENERALLY get higher percentiles in the actual UMAT than the practice tests. As to percentiles... I was getting consistent 90+ percentiles in section 1 and 3 from the 3rd exan afterwards, and ~80 percentile in section 2 throughout. But my marks for section 1 varied from 33 - 42. So yeah, the difficulties of the papers really do vary. And it is really up to MedEntry question reviewer - MedEntry has recently hired a new guy and he seems to prefer the harder questions I write for them, so no doubt the difficulty will continue to go up!

Anyway, anyone from Sydney interested in getting private UMAT tutoring lessons? I need one more student, PM me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)