Umat (1 Viewer)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Who here will be undertaking the UMAT?

Are you interested in Med. if you're undertaking it?

For me I might, but im not interested in med (atm anyway)

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
I'm not doing UMAT =) I'm a law person =D
But so many people are telling me that I should do it anyway. As a back-up. Which makes no sense to me, because there's no way I'm going into that field, even if I don't get into law. o___O

pman

Banned
HSC
Evyonoone told me to do it, I refused and saved myself several hundred bucks

luvtads

HSC
I'll be giving it a shot, I initially wanted to med but now im more inclined towards genetic engineering and medicinal chem. Just in case i change my mind, im doing the UMAT.

twistedrebel

HSC
not sure, parents want me do it me, not interested in med

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I sometimes wish I didn't live in VIC...
Then I won't need to do the UMAT... oh well...
:confused:

---

Also, bos has become so much less active, it was heaps in 2008 & 2009 =S

Last edited:

NewiJapper

HSC
I'll be doing UMAT, though I'm aiming for law but I will always need a backup and Med interests me but not as much as combined law :DDDD

K

Kozak92

Can anyone explain why UMAT might be a backup? I thought it was only for doing med :confused:

twistedrebel

HSC
Can anyone explain why UMAT might be a backup? I thought it was only for doing med :confused:
2nd preference?
e.g if you wanted law at UNSW/Usyd but get 99.3, so you go do med instead. Also its a long time since you put your university preferences in and people change careers from time to time.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Medicine and all that relates to it.
Fair Enuf.

UMAT is used specifically to assist with the selection of students into the medicine, dentistry and health science degree programs at undergraduate level.
So basically, if you do UMAT, and you dont want to do what you're doing anymore, and suddenly develop an interest in Med, you can do it, if not you'll have to wait a year to sit the UMAT.

Thats all there is to the backup plan.

If you're certain you dont want to do med, no point doing it.

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
It's just like any course would be a back-up for not getting in the course you want. So like, I want to do law, but if I don't get it in, med's always an option. BUT, I can't do med without having done the UMAT. So we say do the UMAT just as a backup, but what we really mean is that courses like med are the backup.

Yeah, that made more sense in my head o______o

edit//: yesh, what iRuler said.

ar7

HSC
u ppl must be absolute guns to hav med as a backup. some ppl simply wish to get into med itself, let alone hav it as a back up. engineering for me tho =)

Raif

Banned
HSC
Medicine is by FAR the hardest course to get into. You can study Law with an ATAR of 92 at UNE. I do not understand how you can say med is a back-up. Some people get 99.90 and dont get into med after a couple of years..

twistedrebel

HSC
Also UMAT can be only done by year 12 students, so if you miss it you have to go the GAMSAT way, which is alot longer.

technically speaking you can get into UWS med with 93, but verv very unlikely

Dosu

HSC
N/A
ergh so many people don't realize that getting into med is in a league of it's own. even combined law doesn't even come close to being as difficult a field to get into as medicine. for UNSW med the average ATAR is ~99.7-99.8, in addition to a high UMAT percentile and performance in an interview

med as a back up? lol. i think most people mean that they are doing the UMAT to keep their options open, but not as a backup by any means.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)