Under what circumstance(s) would you see a psychologist? (1 Viewer)

tlodg

HSC
N/A
When it's free?

When you feel that you "can't stand it anymore"?

When you have no one else to talk to?

When you know someone else who is going?

When you are curious?

When you want to save yourself?

When you are forced to?

When you want consolation?

When you feel extraordinarily happy?

When you want to improve on your English?

When you don't feel a thing?

When you miss a place so much it hurts, and talking to a psychologist brings you back to the past?

When you need to find yourself?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
OP: Seems an unusual post to make at 3:30AM. Any reasoning?

tlodg

HSC
N/A
OP: Seems an unusual post to make at 3:30AM. Any reasoning?
It has always been my dream to become a psychologist.

Seems like too calm a post to make at this hour.

How are you feeling?

theundefined

HSC
Ive got both a psychologist and a counsellor. THe counsellor is just the one at school. Otherwise, i have my own psychologist :). and there are plenty of reasons to see one, and most are often free, if ur a student. U don't need to be off the rails, depressed or messed up to see one rofl. i see one for things to talk about, about weekly things and how to tackle goals etc. Alot of people see psychologists imo. It used to be where you would be discriminated for seeing one, socially cus ppl thing ur crazy. suprisingly theres quite a fair increase in ppl seeing them.

Fish Tank

That guy
HSC
I talk to randoms on the internet. The general public is my psychologist :p

Btw in response to OP, probably after seeing something traumatic, like a death (not that I've seen a real one, only movies/games).

johony

HSC
i've been thinking about seeing one for awhile, i'm curious with issues i have with emotional detachment and self-esteem bubbling under the surface for quite some time. i've gone to counsellors whenever i've been depressed, but really it's only a quick fix and i find myself mulling over my problems for longer - so now i tend to just sit through it and ignore them.

Last edited:

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
it might be good for me to see one (not going into detail, kthx).

but to answer OP, when its free/cheap and when all hope seems to be lost.

lychnobity

HSC
I would go if I think something's wrong with me, out of curiosity or to get something out of my system, something I can't quite tell anyone else.

It'd be interesting to see what a psychologist would come up with.

lala2

Banned
HSC
but to answer OP, when its free/cheap and when all hope seems to be lost.
+1. I only see the counsellors at uni when I'm at wit's end. It was funny, when I saw the counsellor a few weeks ago, he noted that I had made exactly 1 visit per year to the counselling service for every year of my degree (including this year), and joked I should be a case study for how patients progress. Fortunately they've all been for different things which have now resolved. I'm going to miss the free counselling service at uni. Fortunately I still have a fair while to go before I'm 25 so can still use Kids Help Line :)

latvia

HSC
N/A
+1. I only see the counsellors at uni when I'm at wit's end. It was funny, when I saw the counsellor a few weeks ago, he noted that I had made exactly 1 visit per year to the counselling service for every year of my degree (including this year), and joked I should be a case study for how patients progress. Fortunately they've all been for different things which have now resolved. I'm going to miss the free counselling service at uni. Fortunately I still have a fair while to go before I'm 25 so can still use Kids Help Line :)
This is what happens when you're too sad..when you're too sad, you won't look sad anymore. You will joke about it.

2sXc4yU

Banned
HSC
i would never see a psychologist
it would bring unbearable shame upon my family if i did

besides i dont need to see one. im perfectly sane

CecilyMare

HSC
The counsellor at school is really shit and I was forced to go there several times when I used to come late to school all the time. All he did was point out the obvious things and didn't help me at all. He tried to diagnose me with ADHD cos I zoned out during boring classes, I mean who doesn't, right? I can write things on an exam paper and not suddenly write "HEY, LOOK A SQUIRREL!" And he isn't a very comfortable person to talk to about emotions. I don't think anybody is.

I can't explain myself that well to people in the second place, but my friend who works as a psychologist in the navy observes me time to time and apparently I'm very far from being mentally stable.

ay0_x

HSC
The counsellor at school is really shit and I was forced to go there several times when I used to come late to school all the time. All he did was point out the obvious things and didn't help me at all. He tried to diagnose me with ADHD cos I zoned out during boring classes, I mean who doesn't, right? I can write things on an exam paper and not suddenly write "HEY, LOOK A SQUIRREL!" And he isn't a very comfortable person to talk to about emotions. I don't think anybody is.

I can't explain myself that well to people in the second place, but my friend who works as a psychologist in the navy observes me time to time and apparently I'm very far from being mentally stable.
I think you need a more objective psychologist than your navy friend.. fuck the school counsellor, btw.

Your anger/lack of concentration/zoning out/sadness is a pretty natural reaction to the way your parents treat you.

Last edited:

CecilyMare

HSC
My navy friend's actually a really good 'subjective' psychologist. I just haven't elaborated on it, because I think I'm sort of 'recovering' into a normal person. Other than the fact that I've already established a shitty introverted reputation for myself at school and everyone just uses the people voice on me, when they talk high-pitched and all polite, you know what I mean? And sometimes they just go silent. And some think I'm ditzy and ignore me.

And it's not like I think that much about my parents. My lack of concentration in certain subjects just stem from laziness and procrastination.

ay0_x

HSC
My navy friend's actually a really good 'subjective' psychologist. I just haven't elaborated on it, because I think I'm sort of 'recovering' into a normal person. Other than the fact that I've already established a shitty introverted reputation for myself at school and everyone just uses the people voice on me, when they talk high-pitched and all polite, you know what I mean? And sometimes they just go silent. And some think I'm ditzy and ignore me.

And it's not like I think that much about my parents. My lack of concentration in certain subjects just stem from laziness and procrastination.
And you don't think your laziness & procrastination & introversion stems from your mistreatment at the hand of your parents? Them wearing away at your self worth is what makes you lazy...

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
is that even possible?

maybe my laziness and procrastinatory behavior is because of my dad wearing away at my self worth...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)