undergrad med in UWS (1 Viewer)

xkingko

HSC
I wouldn't recommend doing Biology over Chemistry.

I just recommend doing them both if you can.

Subjects I would recommend:
English (Advanced) or higher
Maths Extension 1
Chemistry
Biology

That leaves you with like 4 or 5 more units.
So you can do:
Economics
Physics
SoR1

and have 14 units.

Then just drop stuff in year 12.
so ur telling me to just add bio to my list?
would u still recommend it if i told u that no1 has gotten a band 6 in bio for the last 5/6 years? in my school

Last edited:

Medman

HSC
Do what you're good at. You don't need to do biology or chemistry to do medicine. Almost everything you learn in biology will not apply to medicine. The only reason why people say biology is good is because it mimics what you'll do in medicine (memorising everything, as opposed to working things out like in chemistry). Half of USYD Medicine cohort didn't do a science degree and they survive fine. If you're going to fail in medicine it's your own fault for not studying.

If you think volunteer work isn't important you are absolutely wrong. How will you compete with someone in the interview with leadership and volunteer experience? You can't. Since you said UWS is purely based on interview marks I find it quite ironic.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Actually basic biology, whilst not essential for med, can be of great help

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
so ur telling me to just add bio to my list?
would u still recommend it if i told u that no1 has gotten a band 6 in bio for the last 5/6 years? in my school
Yep.

You could be the first.

And if you don't like it/aren't doing well you can always drop it.

Do what you're good at. You don't need to do biology or chemistry to do medicine. Almost everything you learn in biology will not apply to medicine. The only reason why people say biology is good is because it mimics what you'll do in medicine (memorising everything, as opposed to working things out like in chemistry). Half of USYD Medicine cohort didn't do a science degree and they survive fine. If you're going to fail in medicine it's your own fault for not studying.

If you think volunteer work isn't important you are absolutely wrong. How will you compete with someone in the interview with leadership and volunteer experience? You can't. Since you said UWS is purely based on interview marks I find it quite ironic.
Quite obviously not every interview station will have something to do with volunteer work (maybe none of them will) so it's very possible to get in without it

And doing volunteer work for those reasons is morally wrong.
It's just as much about WHY you do something as it is what you do. In fact, why is probs more important.

Medman

HSC
Pick subjects you are good at or don't mind working hard for. You should try maximise your ATAR regardless of what medicine requires or would be "good" for medicine.

No, not every interview station has to do with volunteer work but you see that's where you're lacking in experience. You always "bring" up your experiences to form a more compelling answer to the questions. That's why over 80% of my interview students have gotten into medicine and dentistry.

It may be morally wrong for you but morals are individual and if you want medicine that much you'll make sacrifices for it i.e volunteering your time to do good to help others.

Last edited:

xkingko

HSC
i found the following in another website
"University of Western Sydney – Interviews are given out depending on performance in UMAT (the sections are weighted 1:1:0.5 so section 3 is considered half as important effectively) along with a predicted ATAR given by your school and then offers are given based on ATAR, UMAT and interview performance. 5 year course."
and im wondering about the "predicted" atar part, what does it mean??

Medman

HSC
i found the following in another website
"University of Western Sydney – Interviews are given out depending on performance in UMAT (the sections are weighted 1:1:0.5 so section 3 is considered half as important effectively) along with a predicted ATAR given by your school and then offers are given based on ATAR, UMAT and interview performance. 5 year course."
and im wondering about the "predicted" atar part, what does it mean??
Means your school sends them an ATAR they think you will receive in your HSC. They have interviews before the ATAR is released sometime mid December.

kamalpradeep

HSC
N/A
What was the lowest S1 + S2 UMAT mark required for a interview at UWS (WSU) during 2015 ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)